3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: NY Hog watch  (Read 1988 times)

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: NY Hog watch
« Reply #60 on: March 12, 2010, 07:41:00 AM »
got to tell ya if i EVER catch them in the mountains here be it arrow, lead ball or cold steel they will be in the pan in a blink of the eye. late fall/winter there is not enough food for deer and turkeys much less hogs!
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline ronp

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: March 12, 2010, 07:58:00 AM »
I'm with you, Ken.  I am always looking for them when I am out scouting.  The food is scarce over here in the winter as well.  Shoot straight, my friend!
Ron
Ron Purdy

TGMM Family of the Bow
MTB
NRA

Offline Pointer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: March 12, 2010, 08:39:00 AM »
ADK...my understamding from the license guide is that there's no closed season and no limits...I read that as shoot on sight and shoot often...maybe I'm wrong.

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: March 12, 2010, 09:00:00 AM »
Send em north guys! Hogs are the one invasive specie that I keep hoping for. Heck we've survived zebra mussels,comorants,possums,purple lustrife(SP)bigheads are on thier way. Hopefully hawgs are on thier way. You guys in NY can drive em north and makem swim - please. I'll even corn our side of the river   :thumbsup:
hunt it

Offline swampbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: March 12, 2010, 10:18:00 AM »
We had 5 boars behind my house that nobody seemed to wanna claim ownership of,escaped domestic they looked like.After they starting doing alot of damage to yards fresh planted tree's and gardens they started getting shot.One of those is my only hog and I shot it with my bow outta the yard.

I'd rather travel to hunt them than have them in my backyard they do alot of damage
Shoot straight and have FUN!!

Offline Deadbolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: March 12, 2010, 10:47:00 AM »
Rob D i thinking living in bergen county has your mind in a fog!  We have prime habitat down here in south NJ for hog...it is identicle to the woods i grew up roaming in Florida.  Give it a few years of not controlling it and you will be sorry.

You want hogs do as terry said and MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE!

There are hogs in the most southern part of NJ and they have opened it up to gun hunters the past few years to make sure they dont make it any further north.  The good ol boys have been doing a fine job keeping the population under control for years but they spread to fast.  This state isnt that dumb to let them get carried away...we do just fine keeping the bear population at bay down south them hogs wont stand a chance with us out there!

Offline Deadbolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: March 12, 2010, 10:52:00 AM »
Originally posted by Ray Hammond:
big wetlands that are your bread and butter duck lands will be destroyed- in short, pigs are your worst nightmare.
I didn't spend 5 years and thousands of dollars training my prized lab to let him waste away with hogs.

No sir we'll shoot em all dead!

Offline Deadbolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: March 12, 2010, 10:59:00 AM »
Originally posted by Rob DiStefano:
i hear ya, ray.  i still don't see it happening around here 'cause it wouldn't blossom overnight and would be monitored and controlled faster'n you could say 'hog heaven'.  same deal as with the scare of an over abundance of coyotes and wolves in the nor'east raising havoc with livestock.  just hasn't happened, and most likely never will.  the nor'east farmlands are pretty well secure, imo.  and the thought of hogs around these parts is pretty much just a thought.
Umm the yotes are out of control and have devistated many of my honey holes in zone 2 let alone our farm up there.  We have access to shoot them year round and we still can't keep up with them and I lost 2 deer to them last year because they got to my kill within the hour and wouldn't leave the carcase even after shooting one.

Secure...???...what with barbed wire?  Them hogs will get through bulldoze and shred anything you put in front of them.  You cant make your barn fort knox sorry.

2 years ago down south I counted 14 different yotes in one hunting trip...thats 13 hours of sitting and 14 yotes.  How many deer?  NONE!  You dont see a problem with that?

The yotes will get pushed to your backyards when the hogs run them off when the hogs eat all that food you will have them both in your yards and garbage.

If you guys handle the hogs like you handled the bears all these years this state is plum a$$ed out of luck!

Offline Deadbolt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: March 12, 2010, 11:00:00 AM »
Originally posted by Rob DiStefano:
way better than deer and pork just tastes better to me than venison.
You apparently have never gone to my charity benefit dinner...my father and I could change your mind on that subject.

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: March 12, 2010, 04:38:00 PM »
Sorry but the pigs would not be controlled and regulated here in NY. Our DEC cannot even control and regulate our deer herd, a pig population would be a huge disaster. I feel if anyone is caught releasing hogs into the wild they should be dealt with by the harshet punishment the law would allow. It is a no-brainer and sorry but for guys who would want this well, again no brains. Not being mean or anything but really look into it and you will see, pigs in NY are a bad idea! Shawn
Shawn

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: March 12, 2010, 04:46:00 PM »
Rob, I don't know where you live but our farmers ecspecially the sheep and goat guys have a big problem with coyotes killing there stock. Our coyotes have also gotten bigger over the years, some say do to breeding with wolves way up north and the strain keeps getting farther south. I am sorry as I said but look into what you are saying, pigs would do well here but at the exspense of our deer and turkeys and crop damage and on and on!! I know guys like to hunt hogs but again be careful what you wish for, it will bite ya in the butt!!Shawn
Shawn

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: March 12, 2010, 05:57:00 PM »
I'm with Shawn!  Pigs escaped near a friends farm in WI.  They tore hat place up.  It was a harsher environment than here and they flourished.  My buddies uncle shot 11 in one afternoon over his bait with his 22.  No deer and 11 hogs. He traded them for booze.

I think any unnatural species should be kept out.  No offense to you pheasant hunters or carp fisherman.  I'll enjoy any outing even if I am targeting invasive species just dont think we need to upset anything by introducing things that dont belong.

I have little confidence pig populations here would be properly regulated. Once the DEC sees there could be money to be made, they would put a big price tag on the pig licenses and allow populations to go unchecked. (no offense to the guys who have confidence in our state's management skills.  I am pessimistic about their management skills to say the least).

Enjoy what we have and travel to enjoy what others have.

just my .02
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: March 12, 2010, 06:05:00 PM »
Browns and rainbows too? Its a tough call but I agree with you Charlie, all exotics including pheasant make for a less than healthy ecosystem.

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: March 12, 2010, 06:43:00 PM »
It will be survival of the fittest, and only time will tell if their numbers will be enough to have a good huntable population. I would love to bow hunt them on my own land and will if the day ever comes.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Shawn Leonard

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: March 13, 2010, 09:06:00 PM »
Pheasants are not really an exotic, I mean I know they were bought here from China, but whitetails were transplanted from all around the country to make sustainable populations. Pheasants cannot be compared to hogs or whitetails. Pheasants are a great thing and I know of a few spots in NY with a wild population, hogs are no good for any of us and Jim, really do some research before ya hope for hogs on your land. I really don't think you have looked into them fully! Shawn
Shawn

Offline maxfit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: March 14, 2010, 07:57:00 AM »
What makes the having hogs in Ny any worse than other states? State that have them alongside deer, still have good deer hunting? Is it a habitat issue, or adding them to our coyote problem?
Lu 11:21  When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace:

Offline Catskill Longbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: March 14, 2010, 09:01:00 AM »
I heard a rumor that there were some seen near Hancock (on the NY-PA border), but no first hand knowledge.  I'm pretty sure I'll see a hog here before the mountain lions people have "seen".

Offline swampbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: March 15, 2010, 09:30:00 AM »
My cousin has them on his property near the Texas border and say's their very distructive so I'd hafta say their bad in other states too.I've seen first hand what 5 can do running loose for a few months...again I'd rather see them someplace other than my place and I,m pretty sure I can speak for most of my neighbors on that subject too    :bigsmyl:
Shoot straight and have FUN!!

Offline HOWITZER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: March 15, 2010, 10:18:00 AM »
Hogs in NY are just going to make things worse.  I can only imagine how hard it is to be a farmer in these economic times and to slap some hogs into the mix would be devastating.  On top of the economic impact they will destroy native flora and fauna causing all sorts of problems for local ecosystems.  I just can’t see any pros to having pigs in NY when if you want to hunt them you just have to drive a few hours south.
"Though I'm closer to wrong
I'm no further from right"

Offline Bent Rig

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: March 16, 2010, 08:30:00 PM »
I heard yesterday that the situation down in Homer is all but done , the numbers are down next to nothing - hope it's true . I'll be down that way pretty soon , talk to some friends who live down in the area  and check some spots out for myself .
Paul

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©