3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Matt E, Thank You My Friend..  (Read 1906 times)

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Matt E, Thank You My Friend..
« on: April 23, 2007, 09:11:00 PM »
I just love the way fellow Trad guys treat other Trad Guys they don't even know, makes me proud as heck! I have been playing around with my first River Cane Arrows as of late, and asking questions, which always get answered in the most professional way.

I somehow stumbled across Matt from NC in these threads. The old boy just sent me 12 awesome river cane shafts. He sent Ole Mickey some too. I can not wait to make more cane arrows from these cane shafts.  

And being the old phart that I am, Matt please set me straight on the name of this cane one more time:)

Matt, a big Thank You. Roy

Offline Matt E

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Matt E, Thank You My Friend..
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2007, 09:02:00 AM »
The cane is what we call switch cane.It is one of two indigenous bamboos in America. I have heard of a ,"Hill cane" being a third species but I don't know anything about it other than it is the only cane that sheds its leaves in the winter and is found in the  western part of N.C..
  You are right Roy ,you do meet some fantastic people here on the ,Trad Gang".You honor me by putting my name in the group although I might not deserve it.  :)  Thanks Pal, enjoy the cane!

Offline Dano

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2007, 11:24:00 AM »
Matt is right there at the top of my list too, (the good list). He's gifted me some fine cane over the years as well. I had the pleasure of meeting him at MOjam a few years back, he didn't age near as well as I but he's a heck of a fine man.  :bigsmyl:
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" Red Green

Offline Matt E

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2007, 03:52:00 PM »
Dano, I can't argue with you. Age has taken a toll on this dilapidated old body but what do you expect. I was around when the pyramids were built.  :)
  I am happy to be close to the top of your list but you are at the top of everyones list. Hope to see you at another MOJAM fiend!

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2007, 04:05:00 PM »
I don't think anyone will be surprised that Matt also sent me my first few Canes and guided me in messages as to where and how to look for and harvest some of my own. We also have met since then (finally - after a near miss - LOL). Dano, he's been doing some self (or family) inflicted dieting and other health related things and last time i saw him he's looking and (I think) feeling much better than I was led, by a mutual friend (who will remain Johnless ... I mean nameless) led me to believe. Matt is a fine chap and would give the shirt off his back, I do believe, if it were needed. All his close friends say - just don't let him get started telling you any jokes though - I think they've heard them all - LOL. There is a pic of him at Full Draw with my Barb bow in my TBD pages. I'll come back and post the link for the proper page (to keep Dano from getting lost -    :D   )

Page1, Row Eight, Pic 5) (Easier than Map and Compass class, Dano   ;)  )

http://residents.bowhunting.net/bsdunn/tbd1.htm
Bernie: "Hunters Are People Too"

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Dano

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2007, 04:43:00 PM »
"Easier than Map and Compass class"

Now that was a nightmare I still have sometimes  "[dntthnk]"    :D
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" Red Green

Offline MAC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2007, 04:55:00 PM »
Dano, Thats Land Navagation
>>>>----Semper Fi---->

Offline estacado

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2007, 05:07:00 PM »
Now if we could just get Matt shooting again...
He s so stove up to hear him tell it: can't pull it, can't achor, cant see, can't can't......

He could at one time trounce even trigger bow guys when he was on. So other than knappin'
and building and collecting the cane for his arrows, no arrows are flying except by airmail. Give him some encouragement to get back to shooting.

Estacado

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2007, 05:24:00 PM »
Buzz - good to hear from you (one of Matt's "close friends" - close meaning he lives near - LOL). I thought sure after he walked the course and shot with us that day when i came up and shot with you guys, that surely you would keep him at it. He did say the other day (somewhere) that he might make ATAR this year. Can't never got nothin' done - I get little enough done without any "can'ts" to deal with. I remember that day he was getting deadlier as we went - wouldn't take him long to be back on. Make you a lighter draw bow, Matt (like mine are .  :D )

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

Traditional Bow Shooters of West Virginia (Previously the Official Dinosaur Wrangler, Supporter, and Lifetime Honorary Member)
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Dano

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2007, 05:30:00 PM »
Come on Matt!!! LIke Bernie said "Can't never got nothin' done" Man watchin the arra fly!! member how much fun that is.

BTW: lighter bows ain't for sissy hunters  :bigsmyl:

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2007, 06:14:00 PM »
Matt has sent me cane shafting a couple of times, always top quality stuff which makes awesome arrows. Won't ever take anything in return. A kind and generous man for sure. I'm indebted to him...BIG TIME!   :notworthy:  

Sorry to hear he's not able to shoot. That's a shame. Hope ya get to feling better Matt and flinging arrows soon.
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2007, 06:16:00 PM »
hey mickey did you get my email?
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2007, 08:21:00 PM »
...... "ONLY ON TRADGANG"!!   :archer:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2007, 08:42:00 PM »
Well I see my first impression of Ole Matt was right on target. Like I said, it is hard to beat a good ole trad boy.  

Matt, I am going to kill a deer this October with one of those fine switch cane shafts ya sent me.  

Thanks again my friend. Roy

Offline Matt E

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2007, 09:39:00 PM »
Roy my friend, nothing would thrill me more than to know you bagged a deer with a shaft I sent you.
  Bernie, I have had a truely great and successful bow shooting life and I haven't quit, just had to take time off.  :)  I am probably going to have to drop down to a 45# draw weight bow if I plan on doing much shooting. I often wonder if I really did use to shoot a 72# bow? It seems to be a foggy dream..... Buzz sure is one of my friends, we generally see each other at our practice course on the week ends and every now and then at our local sporting goods store.He is without a doubt one of the most dedicated archers you will ever meet.You fellows are what trad archery is about. It is you guys that keep me coming back to this site. You all are great human beings!

Offline ber643

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2007, 07:58:00 AM »
40-45# bows are fun Matt - and I would never imagine you actually quitting, unless you really had to - and even then you can still help the rest of us, as you always do. Take care, big guy.

Ret'd USMC '53-'72

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Matt E

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2007, 08:17:00 AM »
Bernie, I have seen the picture of your new bow. There is no way I can help you. You need to help me! That new bow of your is gorgeous! I bet it shoots as nice as it looks.

Online Roy from Pa

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2007, 11:59:00 PM »
Here are the shafts Matt was kind enough to send me. We finaly settled on half payment:) But the ole boy still won't let me get even up with him. He is now sending me a sample of his home made wine and I am sending him a sample of my home made wine plus he gets a pint of my famous Hot sauce:)

Here are the shafts, the 6 in the foreground have had just one pass done on them to straighten them out and they look great already, the 6 in the back ground have not been touched yet.

Right have been done once, left not touched yet.

Offline TimZeigler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2007, 09:23:00 PM »
Just gotta chime in here on how Matt is a first class guy. When I first started to show interest in building primitives he sent some shafts and a beautiful arrow that he done himself as an example.  You don't know how many times I held that arrow in my hand studying it.  Thanks again Matt.  I still have a few of those shafts left waiting there turn.
USMC 1992-2000
PBS Associate Member

Offline the Ferret

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2007, 10:16:00 PM »
Wow Roy, you aren't wasting any time LOL

PS Got a package from you today. Haven't had a chance to dig into it though. Just got in a few mins ago.
There is always someone that knows more than you, and someone that knows less than you, so you can always learn and you can always teach

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©