3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Best wooden arrow for the $  (Read 451 times)

Offline Pon

• Trad Bowhunter
Best wooden arrow for the $
« on: March 06, 2010, 09:05:00 PM »
A little help here

First of all thanks for your time reading this, I have been checking this forum for a while now, recently I registered and now Im hooked!

I'm in the process of putting my training wheels aside, I have been a rifle hunter all my life, started bowhunting with compounds 2 years ago and this past novemeber I gave myself a Bear Montana Longbow as birthday present to calm the traditional bug that I had since always.

Im in need of arrows! the bow I bought came with 3 arrows, well the first day I shoot it robin hood one, the second day miss the target and broke another, I have been shooting with odd arrows friends gave me and almost every time I shoot I have lost at least one. Anyway I haven't shoot in more than a week and its killing me! I urgently need arrows so I was checking online shops and I'm between: 3rivers hunter arrows, kustomkings or rosearchery, what would you recomend?

Considering I have lost/broke an arrow almost every time I shoot, and most probably I will continue to until I start shooting properly I would like to not invest a lot of $$$ but also I dont want to be frustrated by the results of unstraight poorly weight/spine matched arrows.

I would like to order them ASAP, oh and they have to be wooden arrows because I plan to shoot the local 3d serial and the longbow category specifies that

Thanks again
Treadway Black Forest 54" 53#@28

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Best wooden arrow for the $
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2010, 09:14:00 PM »
I bought some of the 3Rivers Hunter cedar arrows and some of their Tred Barta cedar arrows when I was starting out with wooden arrows. They flew nicely, and although I never killed anything with them, my brother did kill a little boar and a brumby with them. They aren't as cheap as making your own, but at least they'll get you shooting quickly. I imagine that there will be no great differences between arrows from the three shops you mentioned. I did find that the nocks on the 3Rivers Hunter arrows were not glued-on well-enough, and would blow-off upon impact with the target. That was easily fixed by glueing them back on with super glue. The Tred Barta nocks were glued-on better.
TGMM - Family of the Bow

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2010, 09:17:00 PM »
theres really nothing cheap about arrows, but as far as breaking them i would sugest some carbons. they just dont break very easy, make sure you got a big back stop behind your target to catch them strays...

Offline Spectre

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2010, 09:20:00 PM »
Hexshafts are pretty cool.
Gila hickory selfbow 54#
 Solstice reflex/deflex 45#

Offline Mountainboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2010, 09:36:00 PM »
Three Rivers or Kustom King.  I've had arrows from both.Both were good quality and received them promptly.
60" 52@28" Pittsley Predator
60" 56@28" Thunderstick MOAB
52" 55@28" '73 Bear Kodiak Magnum

Offline jsweka

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2010, 09:43:00 PM »
If you want a durable wood arrow, I suggest ash (There's a reason why they make baseball bats from it).

I get my ash shafts from Allegheny Mountain Arrow Woods  http://www.arrowwoods.com/index.htm   They also sell finished arrows at reasonable prices.
>>>---->TGMM<----<<<<

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2010, 10:33:00 PM »
welcome to the fun of trad archery/bowhunting, pon.  :wavey:

remember, the arrow is far more important than the bow.  keep that in mind always.

your trad bow form may be quite different from the compound in a lotta ways.  

when relearning form for trad, i would recommend not starting off with woods as they are just not as consistent as alums or carbons, and you will need to know whether it was your form or your arrow that caused you to miss.  so, i suggest using a synthetic arrow shaft material for training and practice before thinking about woods.  

imo, building good wood arrows (and keeping them straight and balanced) is more critical than any synthetic arrow shaft material.

for woodies, there are lots of wood shaft genus choices and there will be good points, weak points and compromises for all.  good luck.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2010, 10:41:00 PM »
The Hexshaft is a very tough shaft for a softwood. Took some out stumpin a couple weeks ago, slam'em into a frozen stump with a #60 longbow and they bounce half way back to ya!

Eric

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2010, 10:57:00 PM »
hex pines are really tough and durable, plus they spine very uniformly around the arrow.  

i've used braveheart internal footing jig to either add weight/stiffness (a 60gr nail) or just stiffness (1/8" diameter bamboo or oak dowel) to the front end to just about eliminate a snap off behind the point after whacking a rock head on, or slapping off a hardwood tree trunk.

another really good and promising arrow shaft are the surewood douglas fir shafts from braveheart archery.  i liked the first dozen so much i ordered out 2 dozen more.  i internal footed the first dozen with a 3" length of 1/8" oak dowel glued with wicked-in cya super glue.

Offline Pon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2010, 10:58:00 PM »
Originally posted by Rob DiStefano:

when relearning form for trad, i would recommend not starting off with woods as they are just not as consistent as alums or carbons, and you will need to know whether it was your form or your arrow that caused you to miss.  so, i suggest using a synthetic arrow shaft material for training and practice before thinking about woods.  

Thanks for the welcome!

I was going to buy alums or carbon, that was my first choice but then started thinking about shooting the local 3D serial and that is where I tougth of wood,if I shoot carbon or wood they will put me with the recurves, but then again 3d is not my main goal (bowhunting is) so I guess synthetic is still an option.

Man instead of narrowing my choices now i have more!!! what to do, what to do??   :help:     :archer:
Treadway Black Forest 54" 53#@28

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2010, 11:09:00 PM »
here's a good 'what to do' starter ...

trad newbie gear talk

Offline hunterbob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2010, 11:33:00 PM »
I would check out wapitiarchery.com and buy there tapered cedar shafts the stump shooters and make them yourself
robert quetot

Offline legends1

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2010, 12:29:00 AM »
Check out whispering wind arrows,talk to arrow smith owner Bob Burton.super nice guy,wonderful craftsman

Online SuperK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2010, 12:35:00 AM »
Its a lot easier to tune aluminum arrows to your bow than either carbon or wood.  Black Widow sells individual aluminum arrow shafts so you can get started without having to spend a bunch.  Once you get "dialed in" with aluminum, you will have a good reference point if you decide to go to other arrow materials.  Just food for thought.
They exchanged the truth of GOD for a lie,and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator-who is forever praised.Amen Romans 1:25 NIV

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2010, 12:36:00 AM »
Yes, buy from the sources mentioned; but learn to make your own-it is not difficult and very satisfying.

Offline Gerardo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2010, 01:41:00 AM »
the woods I gave enrique are surewood shafts, they might help
Gerardo Rodriguez

Offline Bowferd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2010, 02:11:00 AM »
Pon,
Just checked in and noticed you have already rec'd a wealth of good information from the best on Trad Gang.
I just happen to have some broken sets of arrows that I made.
What wieght are you looking for?
If I can be of any assistance let me know.
Been There, Done That, Still Plowin.
Cane and Magnolia tend to make good arrow.
Hike naked in the backwoods.

Offline cedar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2010, 09:43:00 AM »
Buy a dozen woodies and keep them for your competitions.  You can practice with aluminum or carbon, they can take more of a beating than the woodies.

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2010, 11:40:00 AM »
I started out with aluminum arrows because they were cheaper than some others and they flew good without me having to tweek them.  Then I moved to carbon so I could have a more durable arrows and I could front load them with weight...much more expensive.  I discovered Surewood Shafts in my neck of the woods. They make awesome douglas fir shafts...good weight, durable, and SO MUCH FUN to make into arrows....they don't cost a lot to make.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2010, 11:48:00 AM »
imo, aluminum arrows are the easiest to tune and great for the learning newbie archer if only used on proper, safe butts/backstops.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©