3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: A little bowstring history  (Read 444 times)

Offline jerry hill

• Trad Bowhunter
A little bowstring history
« on: March 06, 2010, 10:03:00 PM »
Archers have used all types of materials over the centuries to make their bowstrings.Sinew most probably being the first. During my lifetime it started with Barbers Flax linen #13. It could be found in most of the shoe repair shops around the country. Now its hard to find because more modern threads are todays choice. Dacron B50 came along and it became the sting makers choice of many and then cam Fast Flight. Now days there are even other string matrials offered that this writer hasn't tried to date. I cut my teeth of Barbers Flax Linen, and then went to dacron B50. Dacron B50 makes a very good bowstring, and it shoots quieter, but does have a breakin stretching period. Fast Flight is great string material with far less stretch, but does create a little more noise. Fast Flight string offers greater speed than Dacron B50.Due to the greater strength of its thread, most archers choose to use less strands in their strings, which would be fine if the string loops were not reduced in size as well.This can mean doom for your bow, if the smaller string begins to saw into the bow nocks. My recommendation, if you are making strings on your own and using this type or any newer similar string material, would be to add 9 inch reinforcement strands in the area of the braided or endless served loops.These extra strands need to be in number as to the size you wish the finished diameter of the loops to be, in order to fill the bow nocks and eliminate the sawing action from happening. Alot of bow makers incorporated bow nock wedges, and tip overlays to accomidate the newly developed string materials and keep down complaints from buyers that tend to try anything new, and then when a failure would occur think that the failure was caused due to pour bow design,which was not the case. These alternations to bow design was done more for this reason than cosmetics. They felt also that it would give them a selling edge, that they could advertise that their bows were suitible for the latest popular string material. The fact is that all the maker would had to do at the time, was to make the string right, and this would have served the same purpose. I mention all this for one reason, as I was taught that it was best to keep a bows tips as light as possible, like a keen fly rod. The reason being that it would in itself produce better cast, than heavy tips. This is old school of thought that some makers of today may not agree upon, but just the same it is good that we all have such a great history in the sport of archery. A sport without a history, has no future to look forward to.Jerry Hill.........

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: A little bowstring history
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2010, 10:08:00 PM »
Jerry.....about 3 years ago I ran a little test, and some folks may not believe me.....but my Dacron string got the same numbers through the chrony that my 450+ did on the same bow with the same arrow.  I don't recall the string count of the Dacron, but it was a stock string and not a 'skinny string'.  And yes, it was quieter.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2010, 10:17:00 PM »
before browning b50, i was making b43 flemish and endless strings ... and i think there was even a b36, too.  

imo, what we'd all want in a bowstring is (in no prioritized order) excellent abrasion resistance (durability and longevity), lightest weight (highest arrow speed) possible, lowest stretch and creep (least amount of adjustments to make), easiest on the bow during release (blown bows!), quiet!, good looking, cheap.  

life is all about compromises, ain't it?  ;)
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline jerry hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2010, 10:22:00 PM »
Terry, Good to hear from you. Many thanks foreyour input. I was hoping that this little topic would generate some discussion about string experiences. Archers go out and shoot all the time and don't give their strings a bit of thought. Glad to know that you do,as every aspect of the sport of archery bears studing.If you are an archerholic like me then you can't ever get enough. Jerry Hill..............

Offline jerry hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2010, 10:29:00 PM »
Rob, Your exactly right. I remember those threads. I just never did use them. What is your thoughts about them. Remember I'm still learning too.Jerry Hill

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2010, 10:46:00 PM »
b43 had a LOT of stretch.  b50 cut that stretch and creep down considerably.  it was a no-brainer for me to stop using b43 and start stocking up on b50.    :thumbsup:  

dacron is a trade name, and these fibers are all polyester.  

but so is that really low stretch/creep dynaflight'97 that's so popular - it's dyneema (also a trade name) that's made from hmpe (high modulus polyethylene).

therefor, b50 and dynaflight'97 share a common dna string fiber - polyester/polyethylene.  yep, they're different, but they're from the same lineage as b36 and b43.

so whenever someone tells me that dacron b50 is the real trad archer's string fiber, and not fast flight or df'97, i know they're wrong - the real deal trad bowstring material is probably animal hide, grass, flax, linen, etc.   :D  

ain't it funny what a buncha millennium can do to word meanings?   ;)

Offline jerry hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2010, 10:55:00 PM »
Rob, Thanks for the info, I'm sure that others will be interested to know all this. I think I'm going to get me some of that dynaflight'97 and see how it does. Sounds like good stuff. Does it produce a more rounded string as oppose to the other types. This is something that I like most in the looks of a bowstring. Jerry Hill........

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2010, 10:58:00 PM »
These are the kind of threads I like! Learning information. Thanks guys, appreciate what you share.   :thumbsup:
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2010, 11:06:00 PM »
the strand diameter of df'97 is about the same as b50 (browning) or b500 (bcy).  so the rounding factor will be the same.  using a smaller diameter hmpe fiber such as f8125 will allow for more strands and better string cross sectional rounding.  personally, a little rounding is all that needed ... and if the string fiber is really strong, there's no way as many strands are needed - or wanted (less string strands = lighter, faster bowstring).  

the key difference is tensile strength and a single strand of df'97 is over 100#.  so, a 14 strand b50 dacron string has a theoretical tensile strength of 700# while 14 strands of df'97 has over 1400#.  (in truth, b50 or b500 breaks at less than 50# tension).

Offline Bowferd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2010, 01:20:00 AM »
I would think that pure silk or hemp would be strength wise, as strong a fiber as any synthetic
material.
But will admit that I am string illiterate.
Been There, Done That, Still Plowin.
Cane and Magnolia tend to make good arrow.
Hike naked in the backwoods.

Offline Earthdog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2010, 02:59:00 AM »
The little I've heard of the "new" B55 sounds good,quiet like B50 but less stretch like the fast flights.
Anybody got any input on this stuff ??
Winning or losing is not the important thing,,the important thing is how well you played the game.

Offline huey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2010, 05:27:00 AM »
Mr. Hill thanks for the topics. I never miss a post your name is on. Terry and Rob the same goes for ya'll. There are alot of others when I see there names it's an instant read, so thanks for the hard earned wisdom!

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2010, 06:17:00 AM »
chad (lbr) is testing the b55 - i'll listen carefully to his opinion on this new polyester stuff.

Offline k. sisco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2010, 06:30:00 AM »
I always liked the D97,but ordered a new D10 string.
I haven't used it yet,but will post if I like it.
Great thread!

Offline jerry hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2010, 07:59:00 AM »
Rob, Please let me know about the b55. It sounds like it might be the majic thread that traditional archers have been seeking, quietness, less stretch for added speed.Jerry Hill.........my eail:[email protected]

Offline Ed Isaacs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2010, 10:22:00 AM »
That's very interesting and useful unformation Jerry.  Thanks for your input.  This is what makes Tradgang such a great site for me.
"O wad some Pow'r the giftie gie us To see oursels as others see us! It
wad frae mony a blunder free us, And foolish notion."

Robert Burns

Offline kat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2010, 10:41:00 AM »
Good thread.
To date, I am a B50 guy.  I tried the D97 'skinny string', but didn't like the feel. To me it added a sharp thump that jarred me a little.  As for the noise; I didn't notice any noise reduction. I do like the idea of having a string that is stronger, and maybe I could have done some more tuning with the D97, but if you have something that works, it is hard to change.
Rob- good info. on the string make up.  I had no idea.
Ken Thornhill

Offline rickshot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2010, 05:40:00 PM »
Excellent stuff…and thanks Mr. Jerry for introducing the subject from a broader perspective than seems to have become the norm.

I would have to say that experience with building strings certainly offers a different perspective…which could easily support your acknowledgement of “Archers go out and shoot all the time and don't give their strings a bit of thought.”

I, too, remember when B50 left it’s predecessors on the shelf and, much like whatever new shaft material comes down the pike, many will opt for the next “miracle” string without a strong foundation/appreciation of the “string” part, of the “stick and string” equation. It’s even is beginning to feel old-school to suggest that having a spare string is not a needless expense.

‘Nuf said. Happy to participate in any thread that is underscored with “still learning”…how refreshing is that! Respectfully, Rick.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2010, 10:09:00 PM »
I have a couple of spools of B-55...actually had them a few weeks now, I just haven't had a chance to tinker.  Got several volunteers lined up for testing, but I want to give it an initial go myself.  The main reason is when B-75 and PENN 66 came out, they were considered "the stuff" for any bow (or archer) that didn't use regular dacron.  Supposed to have been a lot less stretch/creep (and it did have a lot less), which is my main reason for using FF type materials to begin with.  However, not long after it hit the market strings started breaking with no warning and both materials were pulled shortly afterward.

Based on that and a few other string material disasters that have happened over the years, I'm real slow about jumping on any bandwagons.  I'm going to try it out myself, and get others to try it out too, before offering it for sale.

For those of you waiting on your test string, I hope to get them out soon.  My apologies--I have to take care of regular orders first.

Chad

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2010, 10:18:00 PM »
as i had mentioned in a pm with chad, i have some b55 coming for endless string testing and will report back here.

what chad said about the d75 and p66 is the concern about b55.  those bad fibers didn't break strings right away, took some time, so i'd say at least a few months of hard b55 testing is in order.  

i wouldn't test it out on a fave bow, either.  :scared:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©