3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bowtip protectors,You love em or Hate em  (Read 1038 times)

Offline jerry hill

• Trad Bowhunter
Bowtip protectors,You love em or Hate em
« on: March 07, 2010, 12:45:00 PM »
Most every archer has tried one type of bowtip protector or another in their lifetime. I for one have never liked the darn things hanging on the lower limb of my longbow. You've got the ones that SAUNDERS put out, that fit recurves quite well, and then you have the gum rubber ones that ALLEN marketed that would fit most any type of traditional bowtip, including a few walking sticks for little old men and ladies. Then someone came up with a small suede leather lace up one, that alot of traditional archers really liked best. In the past I have sold all of the above and even made my own version of the suede leather type, that worked real good.But, to be honest with you, I don't really care for any of them, cause I prefer to keep my limb tips light, for faster speed. It is possible that it could throw one's bow tips out of balance with one another in a staggering travel as the limbs move forward upon the release of an arrow.This can be proven with a slow motion camera, as I have done in the past, when I was searching for the truth. The purpose of a bowstring protector is simple. It holds the lower loop of the bowstring in the bow nocks and at the same time protects the lower tip of the bow, if an archer is accustomed to resting their tip on the ground. It also works to keep the string in place, not allowing it to become unadjusted if it were to come off while removing the bow from a bow sock or case. To eliminate the use of them and acheive most of what a bowtip protector is reported to do. All one has to do is use a small piece of unwaxed dental floss and reduce the size of the lower loop to the point that it will not slip off. This won't protect the tip from the ground, but it will be more benificial as per the other reasons already covered.Also if an archer follows my privious suggestions on the installing of an extra nocking point. When the time comes that your main nocking point comes loose, you can take you knife and slit the dental floss threads that are reducing the size of the lower loop and in a matter of minutes you can turn the string around and be back in business in no timeflat.Hope this will give you'all something to think about, as the choice is yours. I just don't like the darn things hanging on my lower limb, I like to keep it light and clean.Jerry Hill

Offline k. sisco

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bowtip protectors,You love em or Hate em
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 12:53:00 PM »
Jerry,I personally don't like them either.
I have tried a few and always ended up taking them back off.
I don't use my bow for a walking stick so I really don't need one.

Online Tater

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 12:56:00 PM »
Hate em !!
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Charter/Life Member
Big Thompson Bowhunters
United Bowhunters of Illinois
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 01:02:00 PM »
In 50 years of carrying sticks, I've never seen the need for one.

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2010, 01:11:00 PM »
I hate them also.
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline jacobsladder

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2010, 01:20:00 PM »
dont have a use for them...enjoy your posts very much.
TGMM Family of the Bow

"There's a race of men that dont fit in, A race that can't stay still; So they break the hearts of kith and kin, And they roam the world at will"  Robert Service

Offline Wannabe1

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • TGMM Family of the Bow
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2010, 01:25:00 PM »
Guess I'll be different. I use them on all my bows, not because I use my bows as walking sticks but, because sometimes when I'm stalking, I'll kneel down and I stand my bow up beside me. In some of the thick brush we have here in Oregon, I'd just as soon my lower limb tip didn't get all ate up. Just my personal preference though. They don't hinder my bow in any way shape or form.

Jerry, I love your posts. Been learning quite a few things that I didn't know since you started posting! Thanks for keeping the brain motor spinning.   :thumbsup:
Desert Shield/Storm, Somalia and IOF Veteran
"The Mountains are calling and, I must go!" John Muir

Offline KentuckyWolf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2010, 01:28:00 PM »
Don't like em. On my PSA it seems to make my bow louder....doesnt do anything to my Bear longbow but then again the nocks on that thing are huge and a tip protector wont make a difference in wt. I put them on transport, etc. but take them off as soon as I am actively shooting or hunting.
Black Widow PSA III 54@28
Black Widow PLX 54@28

Offline BowHuntingFool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2010, 01:58:00 PM »
I actually like them on my Longbows! I make my own lace up leather version, works well as I'm pretty rough on my bows! Plus I also like the looks of a nice leather lace up protector! I've shot my bows with em and without em and never notice any difference!

I really like the idea of the extra nocking point! Sweet idea!
>>>---Joe Bzura---->

Big River Longbow 66" 52# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 66" 47# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 62" 52# @ 28"
Big River Recurve 60" 48# @ 28"
NewWood Longbow 58" 45# @ 28"

Wisconsin Traditional Archers
      Ojibwa Bowhunters

Offline koger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2010, 02:55:00 PM »
I use the rubber slip on ones, have them on all my bows. Protects the limb tips, doesnt affect performance,looks dont mean as much as protecting my hunting equipment.
samuel koger

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2010, 03:09:00 PM »
I don't like em. Used one of the rubber-like ones and it left a sticky residue ont he lower limb tip -- removed and cleaned it yesterday. I bought one of the little leather ones and didn't even put it on the bow.  I baby my equipment, I won't even lay the bow arrow quiver side down.

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2010, 03:15:00 PM »
I shot the round with the guy who won the Tannehill shoot down here in Bama and i saw he had a rubber tip protector on his Widow.

It sure didnt seem to affect his shooting at all but i still dont care for them.

I just dont like them because they are always sliding off my limb.

Maybe i just dont have any clue how to put one on the right way.
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2010, 03:31:00 PM »
Using the rubber one for years on the lower limb tip. Like the protection they offer.

If the extra mass changes the timing of the limbs isn't that tuned out when tuning your arrows with nock point adjustment or adjusting tiller if you can?
shoot straight shoot often

Offline Hill Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2010, 03:50:00 PM »
I have the rubber ones on all my recurves, put them on and never worry about them, only take them off to change strings. I like the protection when I lean my bow up or am kneeling and have the tip on the ground.
Ps 8:3 ¶ When I consider thy heavens, the work of thy fingers, the moon and the stars, which thou hast ordained;
 4 What is man, that thou art mindful of him? and the son of man, that thou visitest him?

Offline Buckeye Trad Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2010, 04:59:00 PM »
I use the light suede ones from 3 rivers on all my bows as well.  I also like the protection they offer when you need to lean your bow against something or when I'm stalking through some thick brush.  As far as affecting preformance, I've never noticed any adverse effects.  I don't see how they could make a noticeable difference.

Offline GREASEMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2010, 05:14:00 PM »
I hate'em,but,i use them to keep from scratching up the finish on the lower tip.

Offline Holm-Made

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2010, 05:24:00 PM »
If you use the rubber ones and you are out in the rain, make sure you take them off at the end of the day.  
Water can get trapped into them and it takes a long time for them to dry out.

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2010, 05:53:00 PM »
I used to run the rubber ones on all my bows.I gave them up,I see no need for me to use them anymore.
>>>>--TGMM family of the bow--->

Offline chad graham

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2010, 05:54:00 PM »
not for me!

Offline easyup

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2010, 06:04:00 PM »
Bows are tools for me so I use them and at times in the thick of things they can get banged up as they are very much not on my mind during a stalk.  At over a grand each replacement cost for the current two favored hunting tools I also hate the damage I can do so I use the light thin rubber ones made for longbows.  I am positive I will never be a good enough shot to notice any impact to my accuracy whcih is a good thing because we also have a lot of rocks in AZ and WY!!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©