3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bowtip protectors,You love em or Hate em  (Read 1041 times)

Offline cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bowtip protectors,You love em or Hate em
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2010, 06:24:00 PM »
I am using the rubber type sold by BW,I never noticed any change of performances,but i am open to debate.By the way Jerry I love your posts.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline HATCHCHASER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2010, 06:35:00 PM »
I hate em.  The leather ones have made my bows louder.  I have used a few small rubber tips that I took off of equipment I use for work.  They shipped as protection and worked great for small bow tips.  I cut a hole in the bottom so water would drain.  The rubber ones are the only ones I have liked.  Ymmv.
It's not the arrival, it's the journey.

Offline Irish Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2010, 06:43:00 PM »
As always Jerry, I like your posts and enjoy your sharing of ideas. I do however, have to say that I use them on all of my bows. Wouldn't be caught without one.

I use the dull colored rubber ones, cutting off about 1/3 of the length before installing them. Simply for tip protection, not to retain the string.

Offline Jon Shade

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2010, 06:49:00 PM »
I've seen some folks put them on the top tip as well. They claim that if you lean the bow against a tree, it is less likely to slide and fall over. As for me , my bow is always in my hand.

Offline bofish-IL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2010, 07:11:00 PM »
I use them on all my bows. They have saved the tips many times from contacting different surfaces. I have used the tip several times on muddy hillside by accident as I started to slip and fall. I use to string my bows with the method of putting the lower tip against your foot one hand on the riser handle and pushing the string up the upper limb as flex it with the other hand. The tips took a beating because I would go through a tip protector in a couple years. I have used the bow stringers the last 10 years but just like the tip protectors anyway. The big plus I like is you don't have to worry about the string shifting out of the grooves on the lower limb while stringing the bow
PBS  Member

Offline Zbearclaw

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2010, 07:29:00 PM »
I use the thin black ones on the upper and lower tips of my black widow recurve.

I use my bow as a monopod when glassing and rest my binos on the upper limb and it sits on the ground.

No additional noise and the chrono sees no difference in performance.
Give me a bow a topo and two weeks, and I guarantee I kill two weeks!

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2010, 07:40:00 PM »
It is a question best directed to a bowyer but am I alone in thinking that the extra weight added to the very tip of one limb very definitely has the potential to affect performance?

Offline Hoser1268

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2010, 08:00:00 PM »
I have the rubber slip on ones on all my bows.  It protects the tip and doesn't affect accuracy.
54" Morrison Cheyenne Longbow 42@26
54" Morrison Cheyenne Recurve 46@26
54" Rocky Mt. Recurve  52@28
50" Sierra Blanca Recurve 44@26
52" Sierra Blanca Recurve 50@26

Offline jerry hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2010, 08:52:00 PM »
To all that answered this topic. Thank you all for your input, there are differant strokes for differant folks and I respect you all. Remember archery people are some of the best people you will ever meet. Archery is the king of sports.Jerry Hill...................

Offline imhntn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2010, 09:05:00 PM »
I had never thought of it affecting accuracy.  I have one on mine cause that is the way I bought it and really like it holding the string on for me and I do stand mine up on rocks when hunting sometimes.  I'll have to try it without but I don't think I'm a good enough shot yet to notice a difference.
2 Timothy 2:2

Online Ken Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2010, 09:18:00 PM »
I have never used one and have never been in a situation where I thought I should of had one. Kind of wondered sometimes if I was missing something though.

Thanks Jerry.
May your next adventure lighten your heart, test your spirit, and nourish your soul.

Offline Chuck Hoopes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2010, 09:41:00 PM »
I only make point of using a small rubber one when Iam hunting in Rocky Areas.  Generally, I have no need for one, and just rest the tip on my foot, rather than the ground. -- All this said, I don't think they can do ya any harm, and definitly provide reasonable protection and peace of mind for a buck or two.

Offline Woodduck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2010, 09:49:00 PM »
Thanks for your thoughts...
I've only had them on  two Widow recurves that I got, used; and they were on there.
They were fine.

If I decide to unstring a longbow for some reason; I just wrap a rubber band around 'till tight.
Happy trails....   ('till we meet again, Dale Evans Rogers)
>>>--a kindred spirit--->     (got that from Fred Anderson)

North Carolina Bowhunters Association

Offline gregk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2010, 09:58:00 PM »
I use the rubber slip on one for my 66" longbow when hunting, seems im always putting that bottom tip in the dirt or hitting it on the platform of my treestand. It came off as soon as season was over though. I think it saved my lower limb tip from alot of abuse.

Offline bayoulongbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2010, 10:01:00 PM »
Hate 'em on Longbows, recurve lower limb ok..  :wavey:
"If you're living your life as if there is no GOD, you had  better be right!"

Offline K. Mogensen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2010, 10:12:00 PM »
I've had em on all my bows so far but I'm thinking of quitting. I don't see the real need. I took the one off my recurve and it's fine. I find that on my shorter recurve, I don't rest it on the ground as much as my longbow. So I'm thinking that I'll leave em off my curves and put em on my LB's. Just a thought...

Offline bridog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2010, 10:36:00 PM »
I use the light rubber ones on both recurves and longbow.  I look at them as a necesity just to keep the tips from nicking up or getting dirt in the string loop on the bottom.  I like them keeping the string secured also.  To each their own...

Bridog

Offline 2Knives

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2010, 10:40:00 PM »
I use the rubber ones on all my bows.
I'm always leaning my bow against something or using it to steady my binoculars.
I think they save my lower limb from getting all nicked up and don't think they hinder performance...I'll always use them.
USAF AMMO Retired

Shoot True!!!
Don't Squat with your Spurs on!

Offline Kenneth

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2010, 10:45:00 PM »
I like them on my longbows because I use my bow as a rest when glassing or to help stand back up after squatting down to look at sign, etc.  I really don't think there's enough weight there to make a difference in performance you would notice at hunting distances.  I love em'!
Chasing my kids and my degree for now but come next fall the critters better look out.  ;)

Offline LimbLover

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2010, 10:45:00 PM »
I use the rubber slip-ons. Too light for me to notice any difference and I like what they do.
Nick Viau
President, Michigan Longbow Association
 www.michiganlongbow.org

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©