3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Magnus Snuffers  (Read 452 times)

Offline mnbearbaiter

• Trad Bowhunter
Magnus Snuffers
« on: March 07, 2010, 04:05:00 PM »
I have a few ?'s on these bad boys! I had one season where i shot them and managed to harvest a late season doe with a speedy recovery! Great bloodtrail(it was Dec. in MN:)), and awesome penetration! My ?'s are, I have read that they whistle in flight, but do not remember hearing anything when i shot them? Are they durable, like durable enough for an elk, bear, moose hunt? How do they measure up to the Wensel Woodsman, and Terminators? Any other thoughts, or experinces welcome!!!

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Magnus Snuffers
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 04:21:00 PM »
:campfire:  I am thinking about them, or the WW 175 SS solid ones maybe.  Watched the 3 rivers videos on sharpening them, and I think I can do that.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline mnbearbaiter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 04:45:00 PM »
oh yeah thats another ? i have! How do they sharpen, is it the same as the WW, 2 edges at a time on a stone or file? I see that they make a special 2 file sharpener for them too, is that a must have?

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 04:48:00 PM »
Inmo I have shot snuffers and woodsman in 3/4" plywood and the woodsman tip stayed in shape and the snuffer had a little curve to it.And with the rite file woodsman's are easy to sharpen.   :thumbsup:
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline mitch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2010, 04:54:00 PM »
The snuffers are great for elk harvested mine with one 3rivers sells a 3bld sharpener and it put a edge on the suffers that is sharp. I have both the ww, and the snuffers snuffers go hunting more than the ww yes the whistle get a video camera and shoot over it you will hear it when it pass by some call it the hiss of death

Offline mnbearbaiter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2010, 05:22:00 PM »
Does the whistle spook game at all? The tip wont curve as much if its reduced from a needle point to a diamond point IMO! Is the factory grind very good, or would it need some file attention before it could be taken to a stone for sharpening?

Offline mitch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2010, 05:25:00 PM »
the whistle has never spooked any I shot at until the arrow is on the other side of them

Offline mnbearbaiter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2010, 05:54:00 PM »
:biglaugh:

Offline SERGIO VENNERI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2010, 06:14:00 PM »
It's the last thing the animal will ever hear !!

Offline Earl Jeff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2010, 06:17:00 PM »

I beleive if you listen close you can hear it whistleing TAPS  :p

Offline flyfish1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2010, 06:19:00 PM »
I use  flat file to true up the factory grind, then coarse thru fine stone, hit a fine diamond hone and strop very lightly on a really glossy magazine to polish. They are very strong, wicked heads. You shouldnt see any little grind lines in the shiny part of the edge when done and you will feel the head glide across sharpening surface instead of drag.
Ron A        

"When the buffalo are gone, we will hunt mice,for we are hunters and we want our freedom"
         ~Sitting Bull

Offline Ken Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2010, 07:01:00 PM »
160 grain Snuffers are my favorite black bear head.

They sharpen very easily and relatively quickly.

I never had a problem with their durability.

Once I went through a caribou and then hit a big rock. The very tip was slightly curled but it was easily filed away.
May your next adventure lighten your heart, test your spirit, and nourish your soul.

Offline mnbearbaiter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2010, 07:05:00 PM »
Im really wanting to shoot em for their supposed ease of sharpening and strength! I shoot a 55# Bear Montana longbow and am in the process of makin some douglas fir arrows for elk hunting and am looking for a broadhead that i can use for everything(deer, elk, turkey, etc) out of it! Would it be a good choice for elk out of a 55# bow, i will have a total finished arrow weight of about 640gr?

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2010, 07:23:00 PM »
My findings have been opposite to the comment above.I found the WW's where far more likely to curl at the tip than a Snuffer and w/ the Snuffer Tamer.Both equally easy to sharpen.
IMO the 160gr Snuffer is as good as it gets

Offline WVeer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2010, 07:32:00 PM »
I used them years ago when Roger Rothar made made them but haven't tried them since Magnus took over.  I really liked them and took deer and bear with awesome blood trails.  I do remember a hiss when they flew but I was using large feathers and the 145gn heads.  I don't know why but sometime later I went to using Bear razorheads.  Last week I purchased a 1/2 dozen Magnus Snuffers 125gns to use on turkey and deer this year.  I haven't opened the pack but they look good.

Offline MJB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2010, 07:36:00 PM »
Originally posted by Earl Jeff:

I beleive if you listen close you can hear it whistleing TAPS   :p  
:thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
A Gobbler yelp Spring or Fall is a long conversation.

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2010, 07:52:00 PM »
I luv'um!

I've killed a bunch of stuff with then over the last 10yrs. As far as the "whistle"...

I've never had one whistle, they do have a soft "hiss" though.  I think if they're whistling, they may not set true on the arrow.

I also wouldn't use anything but a 160(145's are pretty good as well). The 125 is a much weaker ground down version of the big 160.
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline WVeer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2010, 08:02:00 PM »
Yea......that's what I remember.  The 125gns that I just bought do look a little weaker.

Offline longbowben

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2010, 08:51:00 PM »
160 Are my favorite.Big blood trails.I only use snuffers no matter what i hunt,Mice to bear.Nice pictures Guru and Earl.  :scared:
54" Hoots 57@28
60" MOAB 60@28
Gold tip, 160gr Snuffer
TGMM Family of the Bow
USAF 90-96 69TH Bomb Squadron

Offline KentuckyWolf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2010, 09:20:00 PM »
They work great. Just make sure to use a steel or brass adapter is using carbon or aluminum. The "screw-in" snuffers on aluminum adapters will bend if you hit something to hard.
Black Widow PSA III 54@28
Black Widow PLX 54@28

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©