3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: micro serrations versus razor sharp  (Read 832 times)

Offline Justin Falon

• Trad Bowhunter
micro serrations versus razor sharp
« on: March 07, 2010, 06:20:00 PM »
Just cut a pineapple with my old serrated kitchen cleaver.  Went through effortlessly.  Got me to thinking about broadhead sharpness and if an edge with micro serrations has any advantages over a razor smooth/sharp edge.I have NEVER sharpened the cleaver and it still cuts without any problem.  Just food for thought.

jf
Hill

Offline Earl Jeff

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: micro serrations versus razor sharp
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 06:25:00 PM »
Where the heck did YA get a Pineapple in South Dakota.  ;)

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 06:27:00 PM »
This could be a recap of the sharp V razor sharp.   :scared:
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Justin Falon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 06:37:00 PM »
what's that?
Hill

Offline mnbearbaiter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2010, 09:45:00 PM »
I read a study on this topic in a archery mag a few years back! They did a study on the effectiveness of a serrated edge. They concluded that the serrated edge isnt as effective killer of game as a razor edge! The wound channel as well as arteries and veins have a better chance of recovery than they do if they were cut cleanly by the razor edge! The clean severing cut from the razor edge seemed to get the nod as far as blood trails and internal damage was concerned! They did note that the ridgid file sharpened broadheads were a good compromise but did not use that edge in the test which spanned 3-4yrs i think! Notice how they arent around like they used to be)serrated broadheads)!!!

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2010, 09:59:00 PM »
Take the serrated knife and try cutting thru a chuck of RAW meat.  then do the same with a very sharp blade.  Serrations are great for some things, but I don't believe that raw meat is one of them.  Sure   they will cut it, but a razor edge excels.
ChuckC

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2010, 10:06:00 PM »
I spent a lot of years using both straight edge and serated edge knives while hunting and serving in the army.  If you want to cut a rope, fibers, or something that takes a sawing action use a serrated edge.  If you want to cut flesh quickly, cleanly, and with the least resistance use a razor sharp straight edge.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2010, 10:16:00 PM »
If you are considering a serrated broadhead, better check your state game regs--they are illegal in some states.

Chad

Offline bolong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2010, 10:34:00 PM »
I'll stick with the same kind od blades surgeons use,
bolong

Offline Justin Falon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2010, 11:46:00 PM »
I guess I was not referring to the serrated edge, as much as a filed edge.  My error.  I would not knowingly use a serrated edge. Thanks for all the input.

jf
Hill

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2010, 12:16:00 AM »
What does a butcher use?  There's yer answer.

the chef

Offline mnbearbaiter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2010, 12:43:00 AM »
Warrior u changed it on me!!! I wasnt bustin your you know what, just informing! The micro serration or "teeth" like some people use are an excellent killing edge! Its easier for me to achieve that type edge than it is a razor edge as i dont have any fancy sharpening tools, just a Grobet file and a Jewel Stick! Im not just using this edge because im not the best broadhead sharpener, but because its a long lasting edge thats very aggressive and tears at arteries and veins and does alot of damage to an animal! Fred Bear and alot of the old timers loved that edge, and for good reason! It works!!!

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2010, 02:54:00 AM »
I have shot deer using the Fred Bear method, the Louis Armbruster method, the Howard Hill method, my own with a shaving sharp edge then light serration, and just plain shaving sharp.  To be bluntly honest if it is a keen edge it will kill a deer. Not saying that I wouldn't go for the smooth shaving sharp razor edge and more foc balance if I were going after a cape buffalo, but for what I hunt I have seen very little if any difference.  For the fellow that cannot get a shaving edge but he can get a keen filed edge or a keen Howard Hill method sharpened edge, it has been proven to work for better archers than most of us, so do what you feel the comfortable and are the most able to work with.

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2010, 08:19:00 AM »
This all boils down to personal preference. Both a filed edge and a smooth razor edge will kill quickly....if you shoot a big game animal in the chest cavity, does it really matter which causes faster clotting?

My own preference is for micro serrate edges. I get that by using the KME system and don't progress past the coarse stones.

My own opinion is that the serrate/filed edge is more durable on softer steel blades. The finely polished razor edge more appropriate on harder steel... where it can last.

Whatever you chose, get them as sharp as you can.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Shedrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2010, 08:25:00 AM »
ChuckC is right on.
Member of;
Comptons
Pope and Young
PBS
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
and Life member of Bowhunters Of Wyoming

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2010, 08:30:00 AM »
Shoot Pinapple with both and see  ;)  I like the filed/serated edge myself.
hunt it

Offline jerryb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2010, 09:18:00 AM »
Super sharp straight edge is the only way to go
Tredway 51@28 60"                 Tredway 48@28 60"                 21st Century 47@28 62"            Bear Grizzly 43@28 56" bear grizzley 48@28 58"

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2010, 09:46:00 AM »
The only objection I have to a polished, razor edge is that most BH's won't hold that edge when subjected to less than optimal cutting conditions.  Muddy or wet hide, I've seen what happens to a razor edge on the butchering floor.  I worry about my heads holding an edge all the way through a critter.

I'm a duffer compared th the guys whose opinions you've already heard, but for me I use a rough diamond hone and stop right there.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline Drummer@Home

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2010, 11:59:00 AM »
Both work well and will kill well too. We all have cut ourselves before. If I cut my finger with something razor sharp after I’m done cursing myself, and have held the direct pressure for a bit the bleeding stops and it almost seems as if the cut has been glued back together. That doesn’t happen with a blade that has been file sharpened. The flesh won’t mend and it just keeps bleeding. That’s what I want from my broadhead!  :thumbsup:
Zen without realization of the body is empty speculation. If I could only stop dropping the BOW!!!!!!

Offline freefeet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2010, 05:14:00 PM »
I've cut myself on a hack saw and i've cut myself on my razor sharp kitchen knives.  I know which one had me at the hospital...  the razor kitchen knife.     ;)
Shoes are a tax on walking...

...free your feet, your mind will follow!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©