3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: micro serrations versus razor sharp  (Read 833 times)

Offline Drummer@Home

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: micro serrations versus razor sharp
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2010, 06:53:00 PM »
Yes, that I undrestand. But we aren't really talking about hack saws or chain saw chains. The question is about two different types of really sharp blades. I can shave hair of my arm with a file sharpened Brodhead. Yet its not polished smooth to that razor sharp edge.
Zen without realization of the body is empty speculation. If I could only stop dropping the BOW!!!!!!

Offline Sharpster

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2010, 07:04:00 PM »
Originally posted by Drummer@Home:
If I cut my finger with something razor sharp after I’m done cursing myself, and have held the direct pressure for a bit the bleeding stops and it almost seems as if the cut has been glued back together. That doesn’t happen with a blade that has been file sharpened. The flesh won’t mend and it just keeps bleeding. That’s what I want from my broadhead!   :thumbsup:  
An animal can't apply direct pressure to the wound like we can so... just something to think about,

Ron
“We choose to do these things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard” — JFK

www.kmesharp.com

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Drummer@Home

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2010, 07:27:00 PM »
You guys are funny   :banghead:   Yet, alas each to their own
Zen without realization of the body is empty speculation. If I could only stop dropping the BOW!!!!!!

Offline freefeet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2010, 05:23:00 AM »
The way i understand micro serrations as opposed to smooth edge is that the micro serrations have no support in any direction and soon fold/collapse under pressure of cutting.  A smooth edge has support all along itself and holds its edge for much longer.

Yes, a micro serration will take hair off, but that's because the hair goes between the serrations that act like tiny scissors.  If micro serrations were any good at shaving properly then all razors would have them.
Shoes are a tax on walking...

...free your feet, your mind will follow!

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2010, 07:23:00 AM »
I've never lost a single animal because I didn't sharpen my broadhead a particular way.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2010, 07:30:00 AM »
Never seen a bit of difference in useing a file sharpened head or one polished up like glass.If they are sharp enough to cut a rubber band and pop a few hairs on my arm they will do the trick.With a broadhead you are adding one thing you don't have with a knife edge..speed. jmo
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline Richie Nell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2010, 07:42:00 AM »
Are scalpels.. or something sharper, obsidian...even slightly serrated.  NOPE

Smooth as glass.  

Why does a razor nick keep bleeding so much after shaving your face?  The cut is so fine that the homeostasis mechanism in the body doesn't recognized it as quick and begin to clot.

Of course both will kill a deer.  But when discussing what is best for bleeding a deer it is as smooth a razor as possible based on plenty of factual data, regardless of one single opinion in the mix.
Richie Nell

Black Widow
PSA X Osage/Kingwood 71#@31

Offline Uncle Buck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2010, 08:44:00 AM »
I'm not sure what you guys mean when you talk about a "durable" edge, doesnt it have to last just one shot? I have always hunted with freshly sharpened heads. Are you saying that just going through the hide will dull it? My experience is limited to deer and small game, although I plan on taking my first hog this year.

Offline pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2010, 09:37:00 AM »
Not getting sucked imto this one again.   "[dntthnk]"

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2010, 09:41:00 AM »
My thought's exactly!
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline longbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2010, 10:18:00 AM »
I own an inspection laboratory that has inspected razors from the top makers in the world and when you sahve with one what you're actually shaving with is a micro sized burr.  When this burrs begins to breakdown it leaves gaps on the razors edge and those gaps are what pulls your facial hair.  I'll set one up at some point and take a high mag picture for you all to see if your interseted.

Offline shadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2010, 11:14:00 AM »
Sharp is sharp no matter the method. Both razor sharp and file sharp do the job effectively. Choose your poison. I don't think that either method is going to up your odds of a kill as long as the head is SHARP.

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2010, 11:52:00 AM »
Originally posted by Charlie Lamb:
This all boils down to personal preference. Both a filed edge and a smooth razor edge will kill quickly....if you shoot a big game animal in the chest cavity, does it really matter which causes faster clotting?

That's my thought on the subject too. If the deer is alive long enough that the wound has a chance to start clotting, I obviously didn't put my arrow where it belonged.

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2010, 12:21:00 PM »
Originally posted by Uncle Buck:
I'm not sure what you guys mean when you talk about a "durable" edge, doesnt it have to last just one shot? I have always hunted with freshly sharpened heads. Are you saying that just going through the hide will dull it? My experience is limited to deer and small game, although I plan on taking my first hog this year.
It has to last one shot passing through dirty hair, flesh and possibly touching bone.

None of my broadheads will hold a scalpel polish through that kind of abuse.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2010, 02:02:00 PM »
Originally posted by Jason R. Wesbrock:
If the deer is alive long enough that the wound has a chance to start clotting, I obviously didn't put my arrow where it belonged.
Dang, you ARE as smart as Charlie says you are    :D

Nice post.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline Justin Falon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2010, 07:34:00 PM »
Thanks for all the feedback guys.  Honestly!!

I have never lost a deer to a dull broadhead. I have lost 2 to poor shot placement.  In 30 years of hunting, that ain't all that bad.

Lots of opinions.  Thanks again.

justin
Hill

Offline TheFatboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2010, 03:09:00 AM »
Let's say you stab someone with a knife that has not been sharpened for a long time. It's not necessarily dull, but it ain't sharp either. Some veins will be opened, others will just collapse, making the blood clot. With a razor sharp knife, all veins and arteries that the blade passes through, will be sliced open and blood will be allowed to flow freely. So, I'd say get them as sharp as you possibly can.
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Offline fido dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: March 10, 2010, 03:41:00 AM »
Originally posted by Richie Nell:
[QB] Are scalpels.. or something sharper, obsidian...even slightly serrated.  NOPE

Smooth as glass.  

WRONG!

Every cutting surface has SOME type of serrations. Or else it wouldn't cut. Weather they are large, medium or microscopic....metal, flint, obsidian, agate, all have razor sharp edges......ask my band aids.

I have talked to Richie and he is a super guy. I'm going to disagree with him though.
A politician who acts foolishly may NOT be acting!

Offline Richie Nell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: March 10, 2010, 07:16:00 AM »
Fido dog,
Ok...that is probably true.  I guess I am just thinking naked eye serrations.

Here is the best information I have seen but would love to see others as well.

http://www.alaskabowhunting.com/PR/ashby_getting_an_edge_on_success.pdf
Richie Nell

Black Widow
PSA X Osage/Kingwood 71#@31

Offline Drummer@Home

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: March 10, 2010, 09:06:00 AM »
direct pressure of the shaft on the wound and shortened clotting time created by a sharp but rough, ragged cutting edge; can result in hemorrhagic sealing, or near-sealing, of even substantial wounds; significantly retarding onset of physiologic shock and ensuing
collapse. At the best this means a longer blood trail of lesser degree. At the worst it means an animal mortally wounded and not
recovered

According to (the man)Doc A, let me be the first to say I may be worong on this one.   :knothead:   Sharp but rough cuts still seem to hurt more though

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©