3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Advice on 50's style recurve  (Read 340 times)

Offline Crash

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Advice on 50's style recurve
« on: March 07, 2010, 06:56:00 PM »
I had a Whisperstick that my Dad has laid claim to and really enjoyed the style.  I have been looking at the one that Montana bows has with the classic grip.  I'm also interested in Chads River Runner.  I know there are several more, but looking at keeping the price down and the delivery time fairly short.  Has anyone shot both?  Likes and dislikes?  I know it's subjective but would like to hear it anyway.  The main thing I am looking for is a quiet shot, second would be performance as I am needing the bow to be in the low 40's and still have enough to deer hunt with.  Thanks in advance.
"Instinctive archery is all about possibilities.  Mechanist archery is all about alternatives. "  Dean Torges

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Advice on 50's style recurve
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 08:06:00 PM »
Jarrod, I've heard good things about the Whisperstick but never shot it or the River runner but I've owned and still occasionally shoot my old Chinook plus a couple of others belonging to fellow club members. It is exactly the bow you have expressed an interest in concerning quietness and speed. Can't give you a figure on quiet but my 60", 55#@29 1/4" Chinook chronographed a 565 gr. arrow at 184 f.p.s. On top of that they are very forgiving, stable and beautifully made. A bow made to order from Dan is delivered in about 4 weeks. Talk to Dan, best guy you will ever deal with.

Offline AdamH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 08:14:00 PM »
I had the River Runner but let it go {stupid} being only a L/B guy, so I got Chads "Osprey" Love it !! But Yeah, I'd like to get the RR back, AWESOME shooter & Very Quiet ... Chad builds a "DANDY" Bow !!

Offline HATCHCHASER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 08:20:00 PM »
I have had a few whispersticks.  Great bows, great bowyer.  They are fast,quiet and purty. Kohannah's bows are another.  The Kohannah Kurve.  And from what I hear you cannot go wrong with a Toelke.  I love the look of his classic grip.
It's not the arrival, it's the journey.

Offline Silvertip Marc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2010, 08:29:00 PM »
I have one of Chad's River Runners, and it is an excellant bow!!  Very quiet and very fast.  Chad is also a pleasure to work with.  I know there are a lot of nice bows out there, but I sure do like my River Runner!!

Offline Spectre

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2010, 08:35:00 PM »
Sounds like you need to get ahold of Brent Rudolph, see about a Sheepeater Spirit.
Gila hickory selfbow 54#
 Solstice reflex/deflex 45#

Offline monkeyball

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2010, 09:30:00 PM »
Jarrod,
       You will not be second guessing yourself with a River-Runner. They shoot,there quiet,and the craftsmanship is with the best of them.Chad stands behind his bows.

Craig

Offline Lamey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2010, 09:33:00 PM »
Ive not shot the River Runner, but have owned a few Chinooks.  They are longbow quiet, fast, handle well, and fit/finish are executed perfectly.

Offline Crash

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2010, 07:06:00 AM »
Anyone know the physical weight of the two bows?  Thanks for the info
"Instinctive archery is all about possibilities.  Mechanist archery is all about alternatives. "  Dean Torges

Offline Ground Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2010, 01:38:00 PM »
Check out the Great Plains - one piece long curve!  About a 50s as it gets.  H

Offline Tom Anderson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2010, 10:42:00 AM »
Does anyone have any pictures of Chad's River Runner?
(formerly "NativeCraft")
Wilson, NC

"short skirts create less drag in the woods..." (Dave Worden)

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2010, 11:11:00 AM »
Crash-- Kent Ostrem (Mahaska) makes a great bow along the lines you're looking for, and at a reasonable price. I see that Great Northern is also making both a '50s-style longbow and recurve, but I don't know their price point. I can vouch for the Mahaska. Very nice.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2010, 11:54:00 AM »
I have a River Runner and it is a dandy of a bow .Light in the hand quiet and a real performer. Most likely the bow that will hunt with this year. I have a 50's style recurve on the classifieds right now, it's a Northwind 56" 51#@28". I really like the bow but I'm dropping down in poundage. The 50's style grip and shorter riser kind'a works for me!!   :thumbsup:
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2010, 12:30:00 PM »
Hey Crash

I currantly have a Toelke classic chinook 60 incher and had his regular Toelke chinook with the Whip style grip and thumbrest.I really love this Chinook Classic.Ditto what Jim said above.I dont think thiers a quieter recurve made personally.

I shot Chads River Runner at Compton.Its a superb all around bow with 3 different grip choices.I would not hesitate one bit to order one if i was in the market for a 50s style recurve.Chad will take good care of you and deliver a fine bow for a reasonable price.

Those are both excellant bows!

Offline Tom Anderson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2010, 01:50:00 PM »
Does this Chad have a website?
(formerly "NativeCraft")
Wilson, NC

"short skirts create less drag in the woods..." (Dave Worden)

Offline Mr.Magoo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2010, 02:00:00 PM »
Fox Breed.

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2010, 02:06:00 PM »
Chad's web site can be found in the sponsor listings "Holm Made Bows" He is very helpful.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline K2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2010, 02:26:00 PM »
Chad Holm is a sponsor here.  Look under the Tradgang sponsor list up top under Holm-made Traditonal Bows.  Ken

Offline PICKNGRIN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2010, 03:28:00 PM »
Hard to go wrong with Chad's River Runner!  I gave Chad the nod to make me my first ever, made for me custom bow.  (he is shaping it today!).  I have shot alot of very fine bows over the years and Chad's rank right up there!  You won't be disappointed with performance!  Also, a great person to deal with.

Offline pitbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2010, 03:41:00 PM »
Another nod for the River Runner, mine is 43# at my draw and I took 6 whitetails with it last fall. No problems with the performance in the low 40's on deer. Great bow and better guy to deal with.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©