3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Horseback archery  (Read 151 times)

Offline jerry hill

• Trad Bowhunter
Horseback archery
« on: March 07, 2010, 10:03:00 PM »
Read and interesting article in a magazine lately, written by a new friend Jay Red Horse. Looking forward to hunting with this man someday, because he represents many of the true americans that lived and hunted across this land for many generations. If I could have been born exactly 100 years before I was, I would have been right at home riding along side his ancestors at the Battle of the Little Big Horn.I had a horse that I could shoot from too, named BUCKSHOT. He was a fine quarter horse and could run like the wind.In practice I had taught him to let me rein him with my feet. I could ride him at full stride in chase after wild dogs that inhabited the woods around our farm, that would come in at times to kill or injure our livestock.I had practiced often my achery shooting from his back with the reins tied behind the saddle horn. He learned quickly what I was doing from his back and didn't seem to mind at all when I would shoot at an approaching target in practice. This was alot of fun. Riding full speed on a trusted friends back, my long coal black hair blowing to the rear in the wind. The sound of the string being released and the sound of my arrows making its own sound as they flew in the direction of the target at hand,caused me to drift back to a time when my own ancesters, the Creek Indians listened I'm sure to the same sounds that my ears were hearing with each shot fom Buckshots back.It all came to an end one day, when a thunderstorm came up. Buckshot and the mares that were with him had taken shelter under a pine tree rather than come into the barn, out of the weather. A bolt of lightning ran down the tree he was under and hit him between the eyes killing him stone dead. When I made the discovery I was heart broken as if I had lost a relative. In fact I had lost a part of our family, as is the case, all of our animals last name is Hill. Now that I am quite older, my wife who is part Cherokee, has decided that its time to civilize me, so she's cut off my long hair as it has now turned grey. But, I still string my bow and swing onto my back a quiver full of arrows and go for a ride. No I didn't get another horse to replace old Buckshot as that would be impossible. Instead me and old Polaris go for a ride, and I guess that will have to do for now.Jerry Hill.........

Offline Spectre

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Horseback archery
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 10:22:00 PM »
I am blessed to have three ponies I can shoot from. I haven't tried a bow(yet), but they are very accustomed to doing the civil war reenactments.

Now you have me thinking. Thanks for this.
Gila hickory selfbow 54#
 Solstice reflex/deflex 45#

Offline Jerry Wald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 10:37:00 PM »
Jerry that is very cool. Didn't know that about you. Saw you shoot in a video once...man your something else.

That is why I got into horses was to hunt with them. I take Banjo everywhere. I have shot ptarmigan (they just call them chicken in Alaska cause they can't spell it...tee hee) and grouse - rabbits - gophers - and missed a caribou about 4 years ago off him. I LOVE IT. HE IS MY BEST FRIEND.

HORSEARCHERY - do a search in pow wow

Yononodo started a horse archery thread here....he looks pretty impressive on his horse alright.

I am just starting to teach my horse this now...I can shoot most anything off him, but cantering is our biggest challenge. He's 18 this spring and is a GREAT bush horse, but he's a bit lazy.

Cantering isn't his thang, but we will get there with time and conditioning. I am in the process of getting him used to steering off my legs. he is pretty responsive, but not great yet.

you also have to get them to listen to your seat (I meant that in a good way). If you lean back in your seat he should slow down or stop..depending on how you train this. he is pretty good at this already.

I ride in a hackamore with 1/2" rope reins and it forms a 12' leadrope...easy on him and easy on me.

I will take some pics when I GET A BOW. Two on order just waiting for one of them to come in now.

Take care maaaaaaaaan..maybe I will see you on my travels this may-june.

Jer Bear

Offline cahaba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 01:15:00 PM »
I remember when that happened Jerry. Time sure does fly. David
cahaba: A Choctaw word that means
"River from above"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©