3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: tent advice  (Read 436 times)

Offline Greg Gilliland

• Trad Bowhunter
tent advice
« on: March 08, 2010, 03:14:00 AM »
Looking for a tent that I can use in September and all summer to take the family camping. There is 2 adults and 3 kids in the family. Any suggestions on size and name brand to look at.

Thanks
Greg

Offline Jason_MO

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: tent advice
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 04:27:00 AM »
We were very happy with Sierra Designs and the helpful staff at  www.moosejaw.com
Went with a 3 season for our needs.  Works well in the summer and we have used it thru September up in Michigan, UP, and Canada.

Many brands and models to choose from at Moosejaw, check them out.

Jason

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2010, 07:46:00 AM »
You can check the big chain stores for some,Colemeans make some good tents.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 07:50:00 AM »
There are quite a few very good tents out there, and you will find a wide variety in prices and quality.  In a nylon dome style tent one feature I would definately suggest is to make sure that it has a rain fly that goes all the way to the ground.  Many of the cheaper ones have a fly that only covers the upper part of the tent, and those are going to leak in any significant rain.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Renaissance Man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 08:19:00 AM »
Not sure how old your oldest is but I would make a suggestion based on some years of doing the same as you with four kids.
Consider not getting one massive tent for all.
Instead get two smaller tents, one for the kids and one for you and the Misses.
Many reasons besides the obvious quality of the evening for you and her, for example it is more fun for kids often to have a tent to themselves, the condensation in a large tent with 5-6 people in it is quite a bit more and harder to ventilate without leaving it much more open to the enviroment. When camping one who is tired or needs a nap can curl up for a snooze and leave others to play. it is a good learning thing for the kids to set up their own tent.
The smaller tents allows you flexibilty on when you need just a smaller tent for hunting or smaller group.
One of the coolest type camps is to set up tents opposite each other and a tarp type thing suspended between them for a eating or hang out area in the rain.
Also the smaller decent quality tents with good fly;s are a little easier to keep from leaking water into them.
Just my experience, hope it works out for you, times around a camp fire are some of my greatest friend or family memories.

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2010, 08:35:00 AM »
NorthFace TrailHead 8 great tent, will withstand anything pretty much.
hunt it

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2010, 10:42:00 AM »
Search Craigslist.com in Portland & Tacoma for any good tent deal/s. RenMan & Whip  above are right about condensation & rainfly. Rainfly is MOST important. It must cover the whole tent or expect leakage in a heavy rain. Nothing worse. Buy for good ventilation also. A vestibule is a luxury & great for storing shoes & gear out of the sleep area. Not critical however. IMO any 3-4 season tent will work for your area. 4-season tents in the south are way too hot.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2010, 10:54:00 AM »
Forgot about a groundcloth which is important keep your tent from leaking through the bottom. You can use a plastic sheet or tarp instead which are much cheaper although they must be folded to fit your tent footprint. NP. Dig a slight trench around the footprint to help drain and let it rain.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline kill shot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2010, 10:55:00 AM »
Reniassance Man knows what he is talking about. You can buy an inexpensive tent for the kids and a top notch tent for you and the wife. You will probably want to use the better tent for your hunting adventures. The cheaper tent will be good for your kids to camp out in the back yard during the summer with there friends.

Offline BowHuntingFool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2010, 11:44:00 AM »
Yep, I agree with some of the others on the 2 tent deal. When my son and I go camping/hunting he likes to have his own tent in the early seasons. When we winter camp we share the big tent for the heating purposes!
>>>---Joe Bzura---->

Big River Longbow 66" 52# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 66" 47# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 62" 52# @ 28"
Big River Recurve 60" 48# @ 28"
NewWood Longbow 58" 45# @ 28"

Wisconsin Traditional Archers
      Ojibwa Bowhunters

Offline LKH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2010, 01:31:00 PM »
Check out Sierra's returns.  I got a blem from them and could never figure out what the blem was.  $260 tent for $150.

Offline sentinel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2010, 01:42:00 PM »
Great suggestion Whip. I have the Kelty Green River 6 (a six person with screen room). I've been useing it for the last 3 years and couldn't be happier.I purchased it at "campmor.com"

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2010, 02:16:00 PM »
For car camping/hunting camps, I have fallen in love with an EZ-up shelter with sidewalls.  That, a little buddy propane heater and some camp cots and you are riding high.

I also have 3 children and we use 2 tents.  I love my kids but we need some apart time at the end of the day.  They like the independence of having their own tent anyway.

My campsite looks like it was sponsored by Coleman, so brand isn't even a choice for me.  My Coleman tents do not have full flies and do not leak.  Pitched appropriately, they should not.  The sidewalls are waterproof.  The fly just allows you to have a mesh roof and some space for ventilation.  Seam sealer is critical.   I use a 10 mil. nylon tarp cut to my tents' footprints for a ground pad.  It is required IMO.

Trenching is old school.  Select your site well.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Jerry Wald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2010, 02:18:00 PM »
2 tents - you won't regret it...cots for you two and thermarest for the kids...tee hee.

I found when our kids were growing up they wanted their own tent and the first one they destroyed...just being kids and then I made them save the money for their next one.

They looked after that one..AMAZING.

My wife could retire to read a book in peace and we could do whatever.

two tents..a must unless your winter camping and then it makes sense for the heating. That's why i got my tipi tent later when they grew up.

lots of room and they wanted a more organized tent by then.

www.tipitent.com

Jer Bear

Offline riivioristo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2010, 03:22:00 PM »
Little different here - a Tipi. I see the point to have separeate tents for adults and kids, but if you set up a Tipi with your family, live by the fire in a Tipi with the family...you would be surprised, what  sitting by the fire all you together can make...strenghteng the family bond...little conversations...time spent together...be the weather little damp the fire will keep people warm. Ofcourse lots needs to consider - safety with open fire, firewood and its quality and so on. But think it over. Good luck !
You lost your money-you lost nothing, you lost your health-you lost something, you lost your personality-you lost everything...

Offline Brian Krebs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2010, 03:30:00 PM »
Well there are considerations-
 are you going to carry the tent back into areas; or expect an outfitter to do so?
  That will require a less heavy tent.

Are you going to put a heater in the tent?
 Some tents have the ability to put woodstoves in them- they work great for drying out clothes and getting warm in any weather.

Are you going somewhere that there are gale force winds?
 If your tent is not wind worthy- it will not stay around or together in a heavy wind.

Snow? Yes there can be snow in July and September- and if your tent is not designed for a snow load- it can collapse your tent.

If your going to a rainy area- are you prepared to spend your inside time laying down ?
 Wall tents and other designs let you walk around; and stand up- which if your locked up with the kids- you might give some thought to.

Bugs.
Are you going to be camping in a tick or mosquito infested area? Having no floor in your tent- or netting in the door-  will change the level of enjoyment of your trip.

Some nylon tents are air tight. If you use a heater in them - or a stove- you could end up dying. A tent on Everest in 70 mile an hour winds might be ok for stoves- but the same tent in no wind - well every little bit of air coming in is important.

What elevation will you be camping in? The little buddy heaters are only good to about 7,000 feet; after that the auto shut off will not let them heat you.

Lots of rain?
 Well then don't cheat yourself on seam sealer; or on a complete rain fly.

If its rain rain rain- and your trying to hunt; having a wall tent; or a tent that allows a woodstove type heating system is going to allow you to dry out boots and clothes overnight.

If you want your kids to learn to enjoy the woods; and camping; don't start them out with a trip from hell. Make them comfortable; and they will know it can be done that way.

I have enjoyed wall tents the most- they have a feel to them that is unforgettable. You can walk all over while standing up; put in a woodstove and keep warm; they are capable of living in for years at a time.

Another tent I really like is the 'Alaknak' tent that Cabelas sells. It has a waterproof; snow proof system; you can use a woodstove in it; and its as far as I can tell the most thought out tent ever made.

Whichever tent you get; go to the hardware store and get some spikes- like 10 or 12 inch for stakes. They can be pounded into almost everything; and are of course strong- even half way in. To pull them out; take two and clamp them in your hand around the head of any stubborn stake- and you can use both hands to pull it out with.
 The stakes supplied with most tents are cheap and no good.
 I think they just supply them so you have some to start with- after you try spikes - you will laugh at the others !
THE VOICES HAVEN'T BOTHERED ME SINCE I STARTED POKING THEM WITH A Q-TIP.

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2010, 03:31:00 PM »
canvas tepis are fun, but lugging those long poles around and setting them up can be difficult. I like canvas wall tents from Beckel canvas.  Mine has been through everything nature can through it and it is still as good as new after twenty years.

Offline Bozz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2010, 03:31:00 PM »
Check out campmor.com for inexpensive family camp tents check the eureka tetragon line. I only have 3 people in my family, but for the last 4 years we've used the 1210. Wind, rain, hail, racoons, bears, you name it, we've been through it, no problem...yet

Offline mmisciag

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2010, 03:55:00 PM »
My wife and I started camping with the kids several years ago. We have found that the kids don't need the room we do. I did have an older tent that they could use. I, like Renaissance Man can't stress enough, the ability to separate yourselves from the kids. My boys are older now but still sleep in a different tent. On the next trip they may bring their own tents. They are 12, 14, and 16 now.

I just bought a EMS six person tent for my wife and I. The boys will be in an old Eureka four person tent. We hang a tarp between them so that we can meet in the middle.

Just remember, the larger the tent the more effort to put it up. At the the same time, there is nothing like more room in a tent. I would buy the biggest one I could get. Size matters. (:

In the end you need to have fun. Enjoy!

Martin

Offline Jerry Wald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2010, 05:18:00 PM »
pavan  - My tipi is light - only 18 pounds adn you can cut the center pole to reduce the weight even more, but the metal one that comes with it is great if you are taking a vehicle or pack string.

I love the tipi when they get a bit older say atleast 5+ so they aren't falling into the fire etc.

I just put bbq briquets in at night so there is no open flame.

the tipi I have is ripstop nylon with a aluminum type coating on the inside that relfects the heat.

roomy and warm..just the way i like it

jer

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©