3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bear Magnesium takedowns  (Read 1054 times)

Offline fredbear92

• Trad Bowhunter
Bear Magnesium takedowns
« on: April 24, 2007, 12:31:00 AM »
just curiuos.....how many of you guys shoot a bear magnesium recurve? how well do they preform?
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison.

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bear Magnesium takedowns
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2007, 09:12:00 AM »
I don't shoot one currently, but have owned them in the past and they were great bows.

Their performance was right up there with other top of the line factory bows of the day... and probably with factory bows of today.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2007, 11:57:00 AM »
I had 1 with a B riser and A limbs.It was nice shooter.Stable and quiet.

Offline KodiakBob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2007, 12:16:00 PM »
When you shoot those do you here the banjo music?

Offline longbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2007, 01:51:00 PM »
I currently shoot a 70# Mag. Handled T.D. (and I play the Banjo???)  I love it, it's fast, stable and smooth as silk.  Last season I averaged 82% at 3D shoots and always shot from the compound hunter stakes. (246 out of 300).  I went to my first one this year this past Saturday and had a 261.  It shoots 675 gr. cedars like darts.  For hunting I use 200 gr. Ace heads and that gets me to a little over 10 to 1 for arrow weight.

Offline Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2007, 03:24:00 PM »
No Banjo effect on mine.If anything a low tone base.I was shootin a B-50 endless.Quiet and dead in the hand.

Offline whitebuffalo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2007, 04:29:00 PM »
I want one..
TGMM

Online shick

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2007, 04:50:00 PM »
fred'; I've mentioned on another thread that I thought a B mag would be the bow I would own if I could only have one.  Right now I'm shooting my '70 B wood; but consider an A or B mag; you can put a bow fishing rig on or a stabilizer; sights if need be; change length, poundage; add a bowquiver.  All of this without any fuss. You have to love the adjustable side plate. I forgot about changing grips if it moves you.  Pretty much bullit proof.  The factory limbs aren't the slowest in the woods, and now you can opt for fastflite.  I always have at least one A or B close by..................Shick
TGMM Family of the Bow
DAV

Offline Raineman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2007, 08:49:00 PM »
Are we discussing bows like the "76'er" and the like or something else? Please allow an uneducated individual like myself to get a mental picture.

On a budget, are the 76'ers the place to start?

Offline Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2007, 12:45:00 AM »
No, not a 76er Raineman.The riser has the latches and the limbs slide in and you lock them down with clips.No tools required.Riser comes in 3 lengths I believe A,B and C.These bows are usally reasonably priced for what you get in my opinion and worth keeping an eye out for one.Pretty versatile rig as you can get many different length limbs.You can find used limbs for em as well sometimes and you can buy brand new limbs as well for the Mag riser.

Offline TLANE

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2007, 12:53:00 AM »
Fred,

I love any type of Bear TD.  My favorite is the A riser with #2 limbs (58" bow)  I've got an A Mag, A wood, 2 B Mags and 2 B woods.  I really have no desire to ever own any other recurve.  These bows are just way to versitile!  As far as performance, I really can't tell that much difference between Bear TDs and any of the other high end "custom" bows and I've owned quite a few customs.  Everyone has their own opinion but mine is that the Bear TD is the ultimate bow!
Toby

Offline fredbear92

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2007, 01:08:00 AM »
hey guys!! I am gettin a few messages on one some guys are selling so I will problibly br geeting myself one! I love the old bear bows!
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison.

Offline outbackbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2007, 07:58:00 AM »
I have a few of them, lol, but I personally would not use fast flight on them.

When I was trying fast flight, I have broken 2 risers and three sets of limbs, ( the limbs were supposed to be suitable for fast flight)

Dacron strings on the other hand have given me no trouble.

Nice bows to shoot and a big piece of archery history.
Three things you cant take back, time past, harsh words and a well sped arrow

Offline longbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2007, 10:06:00 AM »
I have to agree, I believe this is the ultimate bow ever made.  I have 3 customs and have shot every major custom bow out there and they have nothing on my old T.D.

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2007, 12:06:00 PM »
I would like to know if those of you that have the "A" and "B" risers which you prefer and why?
I want one to use as a guide and CNC a handle from forged alum. Why? Because I think it would be a great shooter and easier to handle and less money than the new metal handle bows I see advertised. I also have 3 sets of limbs (FF) that I can use.

Offline Grant Young

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2007, 12:16:00 PM »
I own both A and B riser from '69-71 and prefer the B, but it's more related to personal preference than it is to performance. I think the longer riser and #1 limbs are maybe a tad quicker. My only A riser is magnesium and when I use it I usually use #2 limbs. I own a houseful of gear, but the old B/#1 setup has been "my" bow for over twenty-five years.
                                        Grant

Offline KodiakBob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2007, 12:47:00 PM »
OK I will help Lewis Medlock shot a mag riser, he killed a trout and a redneck.

Offline longbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2007, 02:37:00 PM »
I prefer the "B" riser for the same reasons as listed here.  Let me know if you come up with something for a CNC.  I own an inspection laboratory and have the ability to scan handles, limbs etc... and give .iges points that can be loaded as cut paths in CNC equipment.  I did this for a local guy who was making his own longbows using wood forms and I took one of his bows ans scanned it and gave him CNC points and a blue print back.  I got the first bow off his new aluminum form and it shoots great!

Offline Snakeeater

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2007, 02:52:00 PM »
M60gunner,

The only difference between the two risers is the length of the riser and the length of the sight window. The benefits of the longer riser is more mass weight and therefore more stability. The benefit of the shorter riser is that for the same AMO length bow you have more of the limb working so you can get more energy out of the bow and it is also smoother drawing.  Like everything in archery it comes down to a personal preference.

Hope this helps.
Larry Schwartz, Annapolis, Maryland

Do yourself a favor and join your state bowhunting organization!

Professional Bowhunters Society
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Maryland Bowhunters Society
National Rifle Association

Online shick

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2007, 04:04:00 PM »
I started off with the B mag.  Felt very comfortable. Perhaps because of the mystique of an A wood, I started using an A mag with #3's.  Very fine combination and used it for years.  Even picked up an A wood along the way. I preferred the 'looks' of a  60" A handle.  After 20 years of this I'm convinced I shoot more comfortably and relaxed with a B handle.  It seemed I must have been aware of the sight window without realizing it and feel 'crunched' up with an A these days.  I have a set of 1's; 2's and 3's in my 50-53# range and shoot the longer bows more often.  I don't manhandle bows like I used to.  I'll be 60 on  Saturday and the Bear B handle takedown, mag or wood is one pleasurable bow to shoot.  Sorry for being longwinded, but I find the longer bows suit me better at this point in my life. You got to love Bear takedowns!.....Shick
TGMM Family of the Bow
DAV

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©