3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Goats and Sheep and Pigs Hawaii oh my (full story)  (Read 1254 times)

Offline 9 Mile Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
Goats and Sheep and Pigs Hawaii oh my (full story)
« on: April 24, 2007, 12:47:00 AM »
This was a private land hunt on some of the best land Hawaii has to offer. The animal populations were amazing and the ranches I hunted were huge.  This was also the first paid hunting trip I have done and I was tentative about how it would be conducted.  With that said I never got the feeling the animals were fenced in, or anything other than less pressured wild animals.  They were however not as “wild/pressured/spooky” as the “public land” animals I have hunted on the mainland.  I have never hunted sheep or goats before so I can’t judge how “un-wild” they were.  All I can say is when they saw me they would act accordingly and they never knowingly let me close.
The first day out I would be hunting goats, Pat Fisher, the manager of the hunting program on The Parker Ranch (no relation to me)  on the big island Hawaii told me to meet him @ 5:15 in Waimea, later he changed plans and had me meet Jack Ku for my goat hunt.  We met and switched gear to his truck and headed to one of the ranch pasture areas to the south of Waimea.  After 2 gates we came to a stop on dusty rocky and sparsely vegetated pasture land.  According to Jack the goats and sheep that lived in the area were going to come up hill and wind from the west.  They would head to a water hole not ¼ mile south from the truck over a few shallow draws. The only hitch to an easy ambush was as stated before they walked up hill and most days like today up wind in the morning for the water.  Hopefully they would drink and then head back down hill and wind if the wind did not shift to uphill in the late morning/afternoon.  We would need to locate them and then find some place to ambush them.  We worked down hill and glassed to find the herds, the ground was very tough walking, chunky softball sized rocks mixed with bunch grass on thin top soil and broken lava rock base.  

Here is a picture of the general area, trust me it looks softer in this photo then it is.
Andrew

Offline 9 Mile Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Goats and Sheep and Pigs Hawaii oh my (full story)
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2007, 12:50:00 AM »
I had to look down when walking to avoid a twisted ankle or worse. Surprisingly I spotted the first animals as they crested a draw not 150 yards from us quartering SW partially down wind. We quickly moved side hill, and tried to position for an intercept/observation point. We found a hide and slowly crested a hill looking south just in time to see them 60 yards out and closing. Had we been made?  I crept forward back pack on (mistake) and came up to knees to peek over the crest slowly as they milled nervously @ 35 yards, 10-15 billies in a line, I could see the goatees and swagger, some of the horns seemed really big.  Jack thought I might take a shot, but it just didn’t feel right, they sensed something was afoot and they must have seen my backpack move, all we heard next was pounding hooves. As we assessed the situation we saw three young billies to our SW just out of our wind path that must have not gotten the email that we were in town.  Jack wanted to get behind the nice group of animals we had spooked, sensing that we just made them nervous and didn’t really scare them too much, so we sat and waited for the three young uns to move on up sidewind to our south feeding upwind and hill, East toward the water.  We made a big loop west down hill to give the animals time to settle and look for ambush spots, Jack pointed out the main trail they were using and a good location for me to hide if we split up to push them off the water hole.   That plan would never make it to the table.  We worked a draw up towards the water and soon spotted where the goat party was just getting going.  Jack and I slid into position and watched some nannies and the big billies as they moved into the water and bedded under some nearby scrub trees.  They must have seen us again because some started moving off to our left/North and others that were confused came down toward us, unfortunately as I watched movement materialize above the scrub brush I was mating with, it was clear we were 15 paces from 2 young kids and a nanny, they of course watched us intently wondering why the bush Jack was hugging was wearing a camouflage ball cap that was shaking.

you can see in the jeep track that the cover was both thin and low
Andrew

Offline shootrmn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2007, 02:33:00 AM »
oh great  you start the tail and leave me hanging. Can't wait to hear more. May be as close as I ever get to Hawaii
shootrmn
Practicing the Dicipline of Steel
Given by the Gods and honed by my father.

Offline 9 Mile Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2007, 03:04:00 AM »
The big billies were getting away so we made our move to get under them and nudge them back to the water hole, we waited until they cleared the crest and let the nanny see us move back and away from her and the kids.  Jack made a comment that he was wondering when I was going to ask him for the gun.  It was clear that knocking one with a gun was an option he was leaning towards.  He wanted the hunt to come out with blood on the ground and a trophy photo.  At the beginning of the day he asked if I wanted him to carry a .308 just in case I maimed an animal and we were having trouble bringing it to the ground. If successful this hunt would be my first large animal bow kill, because of my inexperience and uncertainty I prudently and foolishly agreed that it may be wise to have a rifle nearby; this decision would prove to be the seed for the only real disappointment/sour memory of the hunt. Anyhow back to the story, we spooked the nanny and kids off SE after the billies crested the north hill of the draw and hustled down hill west and north to intercept the big boys.  We crept through all the draws and bumped the descending heard back, they were semi spooked but they had yet to fully comprehend us as humans. With our luck holding the 15 billies went back up to the water hole and joined another 45 or so animals that had now congregated in the sparsely vegetated bowl around the water.   Jack and I started back to the original down wind approach, we could see animals working up to the draw from the south west but none in the main draw leading up to the water.  We timed our entry into the draw around heads coming and going over the skyline of the surrounding hills ands resumed our approach into the wind uphill at the water and waiting animals.  This time about 100 yards out and at the end of good cover from the draw’s meander, I told Jack to take my pack and I would continue alone. Taking my pack Jack turned and said; “you know the bell hop service will cost extra?”  I needed a laugh I was pretty excited and nervous about the upcoming stalk.  Goats have good eyes and creeping over the sharp rocks with very little cover was going to be no easy task. Thank god the wind was blowing 15mph into our faces.
Andrew

Offline 9 Mile Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2007, 05:34:00 AM »
I slid on my belly as far into the bowling gutter sized dry wash bottom as I could fit; constantly looking ahead for horns and ears moving over the low grass I inched forward.  I never looked at my watch but I remember thinking that if I didn’t treat this as my only chance and take whatever time was needed to inch forward this would all be for not. Schizophrenically I was also thinking that I mustn’t move so slow as to have the animals get up and exit or have another nanny and kid walk into me and bust us again. Timing, timing it all comes down to timing.  I inched into an impasse as the bowl opened up the bunch grass all went left on a side hill. 6 or so goats to the right could see me if I moved further up the hill into the cover.  A wasp stung my knee, for a second I thought it was a cactus, ouch.  I finally decided I would move slowly forward in almost clear view of the one goat.  With only a few groups of bunch grass breaking my outline up, I would stop when he looked and hold until he appeared comfortable with me.  Doing my best impersonation of a bush I inched and held, inched and held, he got nervous the herd started to move, I pulled my knees under my chest head still down, bow arm extended arrow ready.  A group of billies including the one who had watched me started coming forward… Was he coming to inspect the bush????? Coming forward closer bring 5 others with him, but the rest of the herd started to move up and away stepping uneasily, the heard had seen enough and so had I.  I came up to draw, the inspection team was 15-20 yards away and for the one closest to me it was too late! My arrow was gone, it was off mark and zipped trough his neck, crap, before I knew it the heard was running.  I was nocked again and released another at the injured animal, he was moving and my arrow fell harmlessly, the wounded goat started up the hill after the herd but quickly fell off pace and partway up the hill circled and was drifting back down towards the water alone now in the open bowl.  I ran forward another arrow almost on string, 60 yards from him I could now see the blood flowing from his neck with strong spurts, he stopped below the water and wobbled, I slowed walking, watching…. Boom, I heard a shot, what… No Jack he was going down….. The .308 hit his shoulder, he was over and silent.  I can not properly put my feelings into words; I was happy and angry all at once.  Jack had made the wrong decision, but he was 170 yards from the animal and made a snap decision with good intentions.  We later talked about the reasons why he shot, he had seen hard hit animals disappear in the grasslands, the dry soil hides blood trails etc. He apologized for it, I believe he had good intentions, it was done, enough said.  Retrospectively I am sure the animal was dead prior to the .308 shot, it fell off the heard came back down the hill and stopped on flat ground blood pumping out with each heartbeat, next to the water hole, I saw the drunken stagger.  Unfortunately, first large animal I had shot with my bow was unnecessarily finished with a gun.  The animal is beautiful and as in all hunts I learned more about the quarry, the environment and myself.  In this case I also learned what conversation to have with a guide packing a gun. It would be different that evening on the pig hunt and the also sheep hunting two days later.  Here are the photos of my first…

you can see the blood loss from the arrow wound in this photo

Andrew

Offline Joseph

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2007, 06:21:00 AM »
Good thread, dead is dead and it was dead from your arrow by the looks of it to me   :thumbsup:   Joseph
"Politicians are like diapers, they need to be changed often and for the same reason"

Offline Littlefeather

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2007, 06:37:00 AM »
Congrats! CK

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2007, 07:42:00 AM »
Thanks for the call yesterday Andrew...very happy to see you put that fine bow to work. Congrats on the fine goat...just waiting for the rest of this great story now   :rolleyes:    :D
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline Tique

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2007, 08:16:00 AM »
Congrats Andrew, real nice goat. Waiting for the rest of the story.  :thumbsup:
Untested ideas are not facts.

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2007, 08:38:00 AM »
Congrats on a nice goat kill!!
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2007, 09:18:00 AM »
Nice hunt story. Congrats.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline Talondale

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2007, 09:23:00 AM »
Great hunt and well told.  Waiting for more.

Offline Doug Campbell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2007, 09:48:00 AM »
Awesome Andrew, lovin it!!
Life is wonderful in Montana!!
"BEING CHALLENGED IN LIFE IS INEVITABLE. BEING DEFEATED IS OPTIONAL."
ABS Journeyman Knifesmith

Offline Shell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2007, 10:00:00 AM »
Very nice Andrew,
Congrats on your visit and trophy!

Offline bmfer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2007, 11:46:00 AM »
Well done!!   Ok, now for the pigs and sheep!!
Bret M. FullER

Offline Bard1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2007, 11:54:00 AM »
awsome story telling andrew!  
I can say for certian that goet was dead standing before the shot.  Well done!  Can't wait to hear more!
got arrows?

Offline 9 Mile Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2007, 12:03:00 PM »
Jack and I planned to hunt the evening for pigs, we got back to the truck and he had an emergency to attend to, so I returned to my hotel for an hour (40 minute drive each way) and a hot tub soak.  The tub was cold and I was grateful for that, my 4 year old daughter napped inside our room so I soaked on the deck for a short time redressed and headed out to meet him at another rendezvous for pigs at 4:15pm.  The land was lush as we climbed up the mountain onto green grazing pastures.  Here pheasants cackled as the truck crossed gate after gate of pasture land.  Jack pointed far off pig herds above the grazing cows.  We planned to work in side hill on one heard with another below us as backup.  My crawling and patience had been heavily tested earlier in the day on the goats and this evening as I reached into my reserves I came up short.  The grass was tall but the pigs stayed high on one crest and would not round it to let me drop in and up on them.  Jack stayed back and after the stalk pointed out that I should have moved down hill to gain concealment with crest of hill.  One pig kept watching the large lump creep forward, a stiff stare than back to rooting; I would creep and its ears would return to sentry position and body stiffen again.  The time had reached neck puff hour, I felt the wind swirl and the sweat on my nape cool….  I knew it was time to move or lose for sure.  I crept up low and moved forward, the pig directly side hill stiffened snorted then ran.  Busted, I quickly charged up hill to the swine sounds above, in time to see a blotched patterned pig that jack had earlier advised me to try for, I drew and swish the arrow was loose…  The pig streaked at an unimaginable speed, like Scotty from a starship circling above had locked on and beamed him up.  I watched as my 4 blade stinger tipped 29”AD tradlite weighing 520grns disappeared harmlessly into knee high grass never to be seen again.  The pigs kept up a trot 4 draws over as we watched while hustling back to the truck for a quick move and possibly one last stalk before sunset….Jack steered the truck down from the higher ridges while we both scanned for black marks in the grass and fading evening light.  A group of hogs mingled with cows making them unapproachable and off limits under ranch rules.  Both the truck and sun dropped lower; alas 3 nice hogs strode into view. Jack drove hard to get us into stalking range in time.  

With the truck stopped we are off quickly using a fence line to obscure our identity. Half way into our charge, two large pigs previously unseen to us instantly shorten our target range from 600 to 200 yards.  We roll under the fence and follow a low draw closer until we catch sight of the pigs moving away and up a hill. We wait and when they crest the hill, we break into a run.  We charge and get to the top just in time to see them 40 yards off and still moving away.  Jack scans the scene and unbelievably another solo pig is working back down wind and down hill to our last location.  We decide a single set of eyes coming to us is better than two pair going away.   Back down the hill, into the ditch we creep.  Jack advises me to follow the draw solo up to the knoll where the pig seems to be working toward.  I go bent over, and then start running hard once the pig is hidden from view. I get to the knoll panting and look back.  The sun is dropping below the sea right behind Jack, I can’t see his signals, later he tells me he was signaling me to stop, come down hill and wait.  I am too anxious and excited; I push my luck and push over the crest, arrow nocked. The pig looks up as I rise above a small bunch of high grass, he sees me at 20 yards.  He is large and stiff and I know he is ready to run, I draw again foolishly releasing an arrow at an alert watching animal, he is safely gone in a dash uphill stopping twice, once silhouetted on the crest of the hill for an easy rifle shot. No gun shot sounds, alas he strides off wondering what that noisy bush was and why did a whistling bird rush him.  It would not be the day for me to kill a pig.  Jack scolds me for my foolishness, he is an experienced hunter and a good guide with wise words, I have already forgiven him for shooting the goat as we open sodas in the fading light bracing for the bumpy ride back to my rental car.  
sorry no pictures, my camera man was awol.
Andrew

Offline Emmons

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2007, 12:27:00 PM »
Nice pics and story!!! Way to go!!

Offline wifishkiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2007, 01:04:00 PM »
keep it coming great story

Offline 9 Mile Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2007, 01:57:00 PM »
Two days later 30 minutes south of Kona waiting at a gas station for Patrick Fisher to pick me up I am eager for the day to begin.  We are a quick ride from the ranch gate of a sheep infested thickly forested 24000 acre property.  Pat introduces me to another hunter he will be “guiding” on the property.  He is a gun hunter and the plan is to drop me off to walk downhill into the rising wind currents of the morning wile they ride further into the ranch to shoot a “trophy”.  Part way up the ranch road we are forced to hand cut a beautiful Koa tree that has fallen across the road.  Behind schedule we bump rams early on our hill climb and Pat and I make a hasty decision to toss me out lower on the property then planned and begin my hunt by tracking the vehicle spooked animals.  I drop to the ground and let the truck sounds soften before I get up and begin glassing.  The wind is wrong it is still early and currents are dropping so I start hunting uphill.  I soon bump animals and realize I’m sweating, I’m moving too fast, I have no clue how the animals work, so much for my plan.  Learning that Pat had planned both me and a gunner on the same day I decided to call Jack for advice on sheep. He said my best bet would be to pattern these black Hawaiian’s and then get in front of them for an ambush, oh that sounds easy! I needed to see them to pattern them so I side hill as the currents get shifty and find a rock outcropping that gives me altitude above the trees and brush.  

I can hear sheep but only catch a glimpse of one herd (I see 2 animals only but assume it’s a herd).  The wind is now up hill and spotting isn’t working from the perch, so I decide to work toward the sounds of the nearest herd.  I move slowly stopping and listening to the animals I see them once moving in the same direction as me but they are clearly out pacing me.  As I am stopped to listen and glass 4 young 4-8 pound pigs march by, I pull my camera out of my pocket and catch this image of the last one as he just decides something isn’t right.  

can you find the piggy?

I hear a rifle shot above.  They are a ways off but the sound is clear, one ram down.  My day was soon to get interesting as well.

Andrew

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©