3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Changing hunting arrow to cater towards certain game  (Read 317 times)

Offline mnbearbaiter

• Trad Bowhunter
Changing hunting arrow to cater towards certain game
« on: March 11, 2010, 01:50:00 AM »
I was just wondering if and what changes any of you make throughout the season to your arrows? If you change the game you pursue do you cater your setup a little more to it or not? Like shooting heavier arrows than you would for deer if you go on a elk, caribou, moose, bear hunt! Do any of you change broadheads to mazimize penetration, things like that! I personally use the same heavy arrows for deer, turkey, and bear, as well as the same broadheads! If i were to go on a Pronghorn hunt though i feel that a lighter arrow may gain a few yards of trajectory of my current setup which has a decent arc after about 30yds, that sort of thing!

Offline Earthdog

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Changing hunting arrow to cater towards certain game
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 01:58:00 AM »
Like you,I never change something I already know works.

Apart from some experimenting with different broadheads,and up grading arrows as newer an better types come on the market,,,I still shoot 99% Old Bear Razors and heavy arrows for everything.

The Bears have been my standard for 40 years,The same alloys for 20 years,then changed to GoldTips for around 15 years,resently switched to Carbon express,but still shoot Bear Razorheads for most of my hunting.

If I was hunting Rabbits today but Feral Cattle tomorrow,I'd change nothing.
Winning or losing is not the important thing,,the important thing is how well you played the game.

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 02:04:00 AM »
Absolutely. I have pig arrows, and buffalo arrows; they're two different things entirely.
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline jeff vess

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 03:17:00 AM »
I use the same arrows for everything I hunt. I try to find a happy median of an arrow that is heavy enough for elk but still fast enough for antelope. I shoot mfx classics that weight 555 grains out of a 63# bow and get good speed and great penetration on elk. But I always shoot the same arrows even on turkeys or when shooting 3-d's or stumps.

Online ozy clint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 04:11:00 AM »
same arrows for everything except heavier ones just for buffulo.
Thick fog slowly lifts
Jagged peaks and hairy beast
Food for soul and body.

Border black douglas recurve 70# and 58# HEX6 BB2 limbs

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 06:45:00 AM »
I tune my arrows for my different bows, or different limb/riser combos, and that almost always gives me different weight arrows. I will shoot a heavier arrow out of a heavier bow and usually only go to the heavier limbs if I'm going to a place where there might be big hogs. Otherwise, my bows usually only have one arrow setup each.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline COOCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2010, 06:55:00 AM »
No I set my eguiptment up for the big critters and know that If it works on them it will work on the smaller stuff also.Don't fix what isn't broke.When I get in the mood to change something I'll buy a new bow and start from scratch.
Jeff Couture

Offline Richie Nell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2010, 07:29:00 AM »
Stealthy 1000 grainers for 12 yard shots on deer and 800 grainers for elk allowing for further flatter shot.
Richie Nell

Black Widow
PSA X Osage/Kingwood 71#@31

Offline GMMAT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2010, 08:16:00 AM »
I certainly will.

Around here, whitetails RARELY reach 200#'s.  My 3-blade WW's are fine.

When I go to CO, this fall, I'll be switching off to a 2-blade Silver Flame....to ensure maximum penetration.  Needed?  Who knows?  Peace of mind, though?  Certainly.

I also JUST made a similar post to yours RE: building the perfect "hog" arrow.  I'm wondering if I need to foot that arrow or not.

I'm also hoping the overall weight I'm shooting is sufficient for hogs (10gpp).  I don't really want to be changing up my OVERALL setup.

Great question.  I'll be following this one, intently.

Thanks for the information, guys.  It's why I love this place!

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2010, 08:24:00 AM »
I do.If I hunt from a tree stand in single digit temperatures for long hours I don't need and I can manage the same bow and arroe I use for elk hunting.Anyway most of my set up are pretty similar never going under 10 gfp and over 13.If I'll decide to hunt something like a buffalo maybe I'll need to change again.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Longbow338

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2010, 08:33:00 AM »
I use the same heads and arrows all year and would feel comfortable shooting any game animal in north america with it.  I do however like to try different broadheads of the same weight.
2 morrison mini ilf's skinned
2 shawnees skinned
2 PCH X honduran rosewood
Tiger mytrle and brazilian rosewood

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2010, 09:21:00 AM »
Very often I carry different arrows for different game.  I may have a skwerl arrow, a rabbit arrow, a deer arrow and a coyote arrow all at the same time.  When turkey season rolls around. .  yet another arrow.
ChuckC

Offline Jason R. Wesbrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2010, 09:56:00 AM »
If I hunted animals like Ben of Clint pursue (up to buffalo) I certainly would change things. But since I know my setup will work well on everything from squirrels to moose, I stay with the same arrows year round. As a matter of fact, the only difference between my target arrows and my hunting arrows are field points versus broadheads.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2010, 10:09:00 AM »
though i do dabble with lotsa different bows, i mostly shoot my 'go to' longbow and as jason does, i shoot  just one arrow type/weight and change the matched weighted heads for the task at hand ... from hunting broadhead to roving judo to target field point.  i like to think that familiarity breeds accuracy.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2010, 01:00:00 PM »
The same for everything although I might add heavier BH if after moose or elk.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline dave19113

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2010, 01:14:00 PM »
Im with Rob... I love to dabble... Just an excuse to buy a new broadhead. But my go to arrow is a 2219 cut to 28" with 275 up front of ace 2blades or Magnus vented out of my 66# 60"

I like going heavy... some might even say too heavy but I like em... Now if I was going for grizzly or african game I would have to come up with a new one
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2010, 01:17:00 PM »
I use a heavier bow and arrows for elk and bigger critters than I do for deer.  Broadheads are often the same.  I usually carry Abowyers, Stos and/or Zwickeys.  Shoot my heavier set-up most of the summer.  Big critter hunting is early fall.  Pull out the lighter stuff for when I'll be hunting whitetails dark to dark in northern Wisconsin during November.

Offline Encino Man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2010, 01:26:00 PM »
Like Rob said.

i shoot just one arrow type/weight and change the matched weighted heads for the task at hand ... from hunting broadhead to roving judo to target field point. i like to think that familiarity breeds accuracy.
Since accuracy is the most important aspect of a clean kill, I like to keep the same flight.
Fox Archery "Red Fox"
53# @ 28" 64" longbow
Browning "Safari II"
44# @ 28" 60" Recurve

Offline jrchambers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2010, 02:26:00 PM »
ill change broadheads of the same weight for diferent animals,  bears get a 3 blade due to easy penetration and thick fur, i like to cut as much as possible on them so i dont have to track
everything else gets a 2 blade

Offline BowHuntingFool

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2010, 02:35:00 PM »
I'm pretty confident that my set up would kill just about anything in NA. The only thing I do different is my small game arrows, that are old arrows that have small game heads on that are footed! Otherwise the same arrow for everything bigger! I might check out different BH just to check em out!
>>>---Joe Bzura---->

Big River Longbow 66" 52# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 66" 47# @ 28"
Big River Longbow 62" 52# @ 28"
Big River Recurve 60" 48# @ 28"
NewWood Longbow 58" 45# @ 28"

Wisconsin Traditional Archers
      Ojibwa Bowhunters

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©