3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: % of big game animals killed  (Read 380 times)

Offline jeff vess

• Trad Bowhunter
% of big game animals killed
« on: March 11, 2010, 03:01:00 AM »
Just curious. What percentage of big game animals that you've killed with trad equipment you wouldn't have been able to kill with a compound. Either because of shot angle, quick shooting, etc. I haven't killed a staggering amount of big game with trad eqiupment about 40 big game animals and I would have to say about 40% I couldn't have taken with wheels. What has been your experience?

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: % of big game animals killed
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 04:35:00 AM »
Yep, I have shot two or three that I couldn't have shot with a compound.

However, if I was a compound bowhunter, I would've killed ten times as much game as I have with my beloved traditional bows.

We choose to limit ourselves with classy, elegant tools.

The compound is a tool that will get you more kills, at least in Australia; there is no question about it.
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline COOCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 06:39:00 AM »
what Ben said x2  :thumbsup:
Jeff Couture

Offline dave19113

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 06:40:00 AM »
Yea I agree with Ben..... when I was a wheel shooter I would say my harvests were double... Just bc I could shoot game with precision out to 60yds...

But i will say w/o a doubt, If I am up close and have to re adjust shot angle or aquire quickly, nothing beats Instinctve shooting with a LB or recurve.....

When I was first getting into the hunting world more than 20+ years ago, that is what it was about.... Putting the racks on the wall.... Now it is more enjoying the outdoors and slowing down.....
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE

Offline GMMAT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 08:35:00 AM »
 We choose to limit ourselves with classy, elegant tools.
Ben:

PLEASE don't take offense.  But, I'd use the word (personally) "challenge", in lieu of "limit".  Semantics!

Last year was my 1st all-trad season.  I was blessed with 5 animals at the end (4 whitetail does and 1 whitetail buck....my avatar).

Shooting the wheelie bow, I took 21 whietails and 1 turkey in the three seasons (my only bowhunting experience) leading up to last season.  I won't say it was "easy".  But, I needed to challenge myself, more.  I've found my passion.

Using ONLY last year.....I would have taken my largest buck of my life, if I'd had the wheelie bow in hand.  As it panned out, I never drew on him with my recurve.  I'll also say that the 7-pointer in my avatar is a MUCH more prized trophy (to ME) than the larger buck would have been (taken with a compound).

I also had these deer inside 20yds, on 3 separate occasions (and inside 30 on 2 others).  With the compound, I'd have a full-body mount being done right now.  As it happened (or didn't!....lol), I never got a shot off at these gals.  I am JUST FINE with that.  They both made it through the season, unscathed.  And, they're my main targets for 2010!

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 10:36:00 AM »
I can say that there has been a few time that I have taken animals with a trad bow that would have been difficult with a compound based on the time to draw.

There is also the other side of that. Many a big buck and bull stood just a little to far away.

That is our challenge taken on by each person who picks up a traditional bow and pursues game with there own skills and ethics leading the way.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Offline Irish Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2010, 10:39:00 AM »
Ben said exactly how I feel about it....   :thumbsup:

Offline Earthdog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2010, 11:02:00 AM »
Most of them.

One of the many reasons I gave shooting a compound away all togeather was that I was a crap hunter with them.
I was good on paper,but more often than not I would estimate the range wrong or something would go wrong either with the bow or the way I handled it.
I'm simply a better all round shot with a stringbow and don't consider it a challange or limiting to just use my own hand eye coordination.
Also in 40 odd years of bowhunting I've never needed to shoot beyond 40 yards,,just the nature of the country I hunt.
For me,any animal to far away to take with my recurve,I couldn't get it with a compound anyway.I've turned two guys from compounds to stringbows for exactly the same reasons,after they've finished bleating yet again about how they missed,or the bow was too slow to get into action,or their peep or pin had moved,I just said "again" you don't get that with a real bow,and now both shoot recurves "and are a lot happier for it.
Winning or losing is not the important thing,,the important thing is how well you played the game.

Offline tradhunter1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2010, 11:25:00 AM »
GMMAT
Nice pic

Offline HOWITZER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2010, 11:30:00 AM »
I'd like to chime in here but I'm still at 0 big game animals with the recurve.  However, the turkey I shot was a quick instinctive "now or never" shot that I doubt a compounder would have been able to pull off.
"Though I'm closer to wrong
I'm no further from right"

Offline bolong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2010, 11:35:00 AM »
what ben said
bolong

Offline jeff vess

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2010, 11:51:00 AM »
I think that most people will think they can kill more game with a compound. That's not the point I was getting at. Aren't there times when u guys get shots that you u could never have gotten with a compound? Its just my opinion and I've always felt this way that in a hunting situation a recurve or longbow is hard to beat for a lot of the same reason earthdog said. I hunt with guys that shoot them and when the pressures on there like 10 different things to think of but when u have a trad bow u just pick a spot.

Offline Longspur77

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2010, 11:59:00 AM »
i have hunted 3 times with recurves and longbows in the past 3 years. I practiced all summer the first year and thought i was pretty good. Opening afternoon i shot out of arrows. I did not pick up my longbow until the next season. this time i shot it about 2 weeks before. Again i thought well it wont matter how much i practice, the ending will be the same. Again opening afternoon, shot twice hit 0. Put it down and did same thing next year. I had given up. This is the year. I feel good, have different form, dont have a bow but am borrowing one from friend. Got 2 anchor point and am learning stuff every day from this site about it. I did pick up a recurve on the last day of the season this year and had a small brush rack buck come by and took a shot and thought i hit him but no dice.
anyway, i am in it deep now and am waiting for next season.
62" Blacktail Elite VL
60" Morrison Cheyenne

Offline jeff vess

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2010, 12:13:00 PM »
Howitzer I personally do think of a turkey as a big game animal.

Offline bawana bowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2010, 12:23:00 PM »
I would like to answer this question with an unbiased opinion. However since I have NEVER even shot a compound, I have to say that none of the shots I've taken could have been pulled off by a wheelie shooter. Mainly because I can't think of one kill that was done in a situation where I could have held the bow vertically and had time to aim with all that sighting garbage.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2010, 01:22:00 PM »
Don't think there's very many i couldn't have also shot with a compound, a few very close running shots perhaps.  On the other hand, there's a whole bunch I could have shot with a compound that I considered too far for my trad equipment.

Offline Chris Shelton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2010, 07:13:00 PM »
I can think of a million and one times small game hunting.  Those little critters just dont sit still long enough.  But then there are a million and one times that I would have love that compound accuracy out past 30 yards.  But with big game, it has not happened yet, but I am sure it will!!!
~Chris Shelton
"By failing to prepare you are preparing to fail"~Ben Franklin

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2010, 07:39:00 PM »
None that I know of.I could have killed everything with any kind of bow I might have been hunting with at the time.
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline OS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2010, 09:21:00 PM »
Not many even when shooting a compound I shot with fingurs and instinctive.  I know of two for certin a turkey and hog that where both shot lying on my stomach.  Both of these was shot with a longbow.  When it comes right down to it I'm a longbow shooter.
It's not the size of the game you take that means Success!
It's the experience of pursuing game that give true Outdoor Success!!!!!

Offline Horne Shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2010, 09:44:00 PM »
I have had a couple of experiences that come to mind.  Once where a hawg came out right at dark.  I had cut a single shooting lane/hole in the brush. I was sitting in a tall tripod and the pig was never going to make it to my shooting lane before pitch dark.  I noticed  a very small opening to shoot through the brush and had to cant my bow almost horizontal to make it work.  I took the 12 yard shot and hit him right behind the shoulder.  With a compound I could not have seen through the peep much less canted the bow for that shot.  A couple of seasons ago in Colorado I had an elk come by me at 5 yards and I had to make a snap shot because there was not way he was not going to bust me.  I drew and shot him in one motion, he saw me but it was too late-for him.  I NEVER could have done that with a compound.  
I have killed 19 different big game species, 12 of them (with many duplications) have been with traditional gear.  I hunted with compounds for 13 years, this is my 7th with trad gear.  I think I'm more deadly now than I ever was with wheels.  My traditional gear may just give me a mind set of feeling more in tune with my surroundings and equipment or maybe now having more of a preditor mentality.  Who knows...I can tell you one thing, I'll NEVER go back to high tech archery!
Live every day like its your last, one day you'll be right.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©