3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Building the perfect "Hog" arrow?  (Read 452 times)

Offline GMMAT

• Trad Bowhunter
Building the perfect "Hog" arrow?
« on: March 11, 2010, 08:10:00 AM »
Will the arrows I use for whitetails be OK for hogs, too?  I'm OK with overall mass weight (I think) at +/- 10GPP.  Correct me, if I'm wrong.

My main inquiry is in footing.  Is this a good idea (I've never attempted this)?  Needed?

I'm shooting a 52# (@ my DL) recurve.....arrow weight (total) is 524gr.

Don't want to take a knife to a gun fight.

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Building the perfect "Hog" arrow?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 08:32:00 AM »
I'm certainly no expert Jeff, but I've killed a few and I've learned a bit about arrow performance along the way. Doc Ashby and I don't agree on everything, but I have found his comments regarding arrow mass to hold true no matter what broadhead you choose. First, I would recommend shooting what you are best with and tuned as good as you can, weight would be a second consideration. Second, I like arrows that are 630+ gr for pigs (and most everything else now too). I have never had an arrow above this magic (for me) number fail on anything. Just seems hard to stop that weight and anything heavier. At least 75-80% of the shots I've ever had at hogs were 15yds or under...arrow weight is not an issue at that yardage, imo. Third, footing can't hurt but I don't think it's needed. Any arrow I've ever broken was broken by the hog rolling or running through brush/trees, not at the end from impact that footings protect. Fourth, low and forward!

Go get 'em.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 08:35:00 AM »
Yes they will do. No need for footing on hunting arrows. The only thing I would recommend is more weight up front on your arrow. Another 100grs would be even better. The shields on big boars are tough. Using your current set up I'd only take a perfect angling forward shot at a real big one. You don't mention broadhead choice, I like good 2 blade for maximum penetration.
hunt it

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 08:42:00 AM »
what jc just posted fits the hog killin bill to a T.

practice good shot placement.

use a really sharp cut-on-contact broadhead.

use as much arrow weight as your accuracy can handle.

go get 'em!
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 08:46:00 AM »
That is more than enough arrow weight for any size hog you are likely to run into in our part of the world. jmo
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 08:47:00 AM »
No footing needed.

That depend on what '@ my DL' is.....no if its 24 inches, yes if its 29.

What Bhead you planning on using would also help.

When and where ya going?
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline cch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2010, 08:50:00 AM »
Stick with the arrow that you shoot the best. Hogs have a small kill zone and you have to hit it or you will probably loose it. Shoot straight up the leg on a broadside shot.  Good luck.

Offline GMMAT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2010, 09:00:00 AM »
Sorry for not giving all the pertinent info.

Terry....my DL is 28-3/4".

I'm already going to purchase silver flames for my CO elk hunt.  So, I will be shooting them for hogs, also.

T - I'm talking to Ray, right now (emailing).  I'm not "sure" I can pull it off.  But, I'm looking at springtime (this).

Thanks for your help, guys.

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2010, 09:07:00 AM »
I love Silver Flames, but I would save them for elk. Any good 2 blade - STOS - Magnus etc will be plenty for hawgs.
hunt it

Offline Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2010, 09:11:00 AM »
I really like arrows with EFOC since I had great results with 55/75 Gold Tips with 50gr brass inserts and a 200gr Muzzy phantom up front. Total arrow weight was 535 grains and i had complete pentration on two big sows and about 10 inches of arrow sticking out of a 130lb boar after going through both shields. I would have even went heavier but since these were flying so well I didn't want to play with another arrow setup.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline metsastaja

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2010, 09:14:00 AM »
It will be shot placement that will make a difference.  See Terrys thread.    Shot Placement

Be warned more then a few have seen the perfect flight of the arrow smack the shield of a bog ol nasty boar to see only a couple of inches of penetration.  Hog are tough.
Les Heilakka
TGMM Family of the Bow  
Some times the uneventful nights are just as good if not better than the eventful ones

Offline GMMAT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2010, 09:15:00 AM »
RE: the EFOC/More weight up-front......

As much as I love hunting (my main focus), I also love traditional 3D.  I've found I love the flight I get with 10GPP arrows.

I see this (personal opinion....and I could certainly be swayed) as a POSITIVE (shooting ONE arrow) all throughout the year.  I never have to give elevation a second thought.

Just my way of thinking...........currently.

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2010, 09:23:00 AM »
Jeff.....now with the rest of the info(DL and Silver Flames)....no worries, you don't need a thing...but to get close and close the deal.  You are there.

I also hear ya on consitency of equipment and flight path.  Confidence in what you already know also means a lot.

Best of luck...and let us know when you are going to Rays.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2010, 09:27:00 AM »
Originally posted by GMMAT:
RE: the EFOC/More weight up-front......

As much as I love hunting (my main focus), I also love traditional 3D.  I've found I love the flight I get with 10GPP arrows.

I see this (personal opinion....and I could certainly be swayed) as a POSITIVE (shooting ONE arrow) all throughout the year.  I never have to give elevation a second thought.

Just my way of thinking...........currently.
i still think yer main concerns will be shot placement, sharp coc broadhead, as heavy an arra as you'll feel confident shooting those good shot placements.

i hit a hog in what i saw as the perfect spot at the front leg joint, about a 15 yard shot, with a 585gr arrow, 55# bow (firefly), razor sharp snuffer up front, and it only went in maybe 6-8", lots of blood on the road, lost pig.  terry found the arra ...

IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2010, 09:35:00 AM »
Since you hit the right spot your combo is enough,but for hog i prefere anyway a heavier arrow.If you hit the wrong spot i guess that footing 2 blade etc. could not be enough,but once again too many variabilities.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2010, 09:58:00 AM »
Seems to be a lot of good info added.I`ll add some too.As most all have said its more important where you hit them. Most lost "double lunged" hogs were hit to high.If your hitting him high enough in the sheild you need single bevel 700 grain arrows your probably much to high to start with.Shoot for his elbow in the pocket and you`ll get him. I`ve shot mostly Magnus I heads from bows around 52@27 with around 600 grains arrow weight for years and can`t blame any critter I`ve lost on lack of penetration but on poor shot placement.Truth is the biggest boar in the swamp probably only has a chest thats 14" thick.Most 10 or less.RC

Offline Horne Shooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2010, 10:28:00 AM »
I agree with Hunt it.  Silver Flames are pretty fancy to be used on a nasty ole hawg.  Any sharp two blade put in the right spot will do the trick.  Save the S.F.'s for the elk...
Live every day like its your last, one day you'll be right.

Offline michaelschwister

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2010, 07:38:00 PM »
For your bow I recommend one of the nano tube 400 grain carbons with a VPA terminator up front razor sharp in the 250-300 grain range (Bare shaft tune until very slightly spine weak).  I have shot a boat load of hogs with carbon, AL, and woodies and most glue on heads. Snuffers are great heads, but even with a 77# bow penetration can be a challenge on the big guys.  Anything magnus works well and I just killed 2 with a 200 grain grizz el grande last week, however a three blade is better medicine on single stomach animals like bear and hogs. So that is my recomend high FOC and long narrow head for penetration and 3 blades for more damage and better blood. Second choice BH would be magnus II four blade.
"The best thing to give to your enemy is forgiveness; to a friend, your heart; to your child, a good example; to a father, deference; to your mother, conduct that will make her proud of you; to yourself, respect" - Benjamin Franklin

Offline michaelschwister

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2010, 07:42:00 PM »
If you want woodies see surewood tapered douglas fir from archery past. Heavy and really slam home.
"The best thing to give to your enemy is forgiveness; to a friend, your heart; to your child, a good example; to a father, deference; to your mother, conduct that will make her proud of you; to yourself, respect" - Benjamin Franklin

Offline flatlander37

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2010, 11:30:00 PM »
This thread is making me realize that my arrow selection may be a little on the light side.  I have been shooting some Carbon Express Maxima 250's cut to 28", with 245 grain head up front, for a total weight of 495 grains.  This being shot out of a 60" Mojostik, 54@27, and I draw 27".  I am considering getting some Maxima 350's cut to about 29", with 260 grains STOS up front for a total arrow weight of about 555 grains.  For you more experienced hog hunters out there, I would really love to have one arrow that does it all.  Oh yeah, the FOC on both of these is above 22% due to their light GPI.  Any thoughts are appreciated.  Mark
"Better to be thought a fool, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt"-Abe Lincoln

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©