3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Stalker Recurves  (Read 581 times)

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Stalker Recurves
« on: March 11, 2010, 01:15:00 PM »
When I first got started with trad equipment,  I sent away for brochures/information from every bowyer I could find in the trad magazines.  I still have a big file folder full of letters pictures and brochures.  One of the bows I was always drawn to was the Stalker recurves by Charlie Bisharat.  When I finally got the itch to order one, I found out Charlie had quit making them. On a couple of occasions I tried to see if anyone had one to sell via the classifieds, and got a few replies, but the ones they had were much too heavy. One person had one that had belonged to Larry D. Jones. Later on I came across some "for sale" information for Charlie's bow building business.  I inquired, and was sent a large packet of info with a description of everything included and the asking price. It was tempting,  but I had to be realistic.  I had "0" bow building experience and my bank account and familiy situation weren't ready to take that leap.
Anyways,  I'm stumbling around on google the other day looking for some archery stuff and I come across the Stalker Recurve web site.  It is still under construction,  but there is quite a bit of information in place.  Looks like a gentleman named South Cox bought the business and is now offering some nice looking bows.  He even has a Bart Schleyer limited edition commemorative bow as well. Charlie Bisharat was one of many bowyers mentored by the late Jim Brackenbury,  nice to see Jim's influence continues to live on through yet another bowyer.
Does anyone know South Cox or ordered one of his bows since he took over.  My interest in Stalker Recurves has been renewed.
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline TOEJAMMER

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Stalker Recurves
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 01:19:00 PM »
I haven't but I have a Stalker Shooting Star that Charlie made, 60 inch and 60 lbs at 28, osage limbs with bubinga riser.  A great bow.  It is too bad that he quit but another example of what a divorce will do.

Offline TOEJAMMER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 01:20:00 PM »

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 01:39:00 PM »
South is a great guy!  A buddy of mine just got his and loves it.  I'm currently building a set of strings for his new stalker recurve.  I'm hoping to try one real soon.  If I buy one in the near future I'll keep you posted!  He also has a "test drive" program.

Ryan

www.stalkerrecurves.com

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 02:03:00 PM »
I shot a Stalker made by South yesterday-quiet, smooth and very fast-very nicely finished too.

Offline Oregon Okie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 05:30:00 PM »
I've been checking them out too. Haven't shot one but they look like they have the stuff. Nice grip, and nice lines. Definitely on the radar.
"Don't believe everything you think" - bumper sticker

"Savage Blaster" - 50@31 - 63" (recurve I made with Steve Savage)
Firefly TD longbow - 50@31 - 63"
7 Lakes double shelf from a blank - 45@31 - 66"
Trident ILF w Blackmax carbons - 42@31

Offline Dusty Nethery

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2010, 05:30:00 PM »
I have no experience with them but have given them the hairy eyeball several times.

I do have this to add; every bow I've shot that was modeled after or developed from Jim's original concepts (Blacktail, Wallace, Fox) has been a great shooting and looking bow. I would assume these are no different.

Never know 'til you try one!

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2010, 07:17:00 PM »
Thanks for the input guys.
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline inrut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2010, 07:28:00 PM »
South is a great guy! I spent a few days and nights both in his shop and at his home this past May. He takes pride in his work and will build you a quality bow. I really like the grip on his bows!

Offline inrut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2010, 07:37:00 PM »
I also want to add that South donated a Bart Schleyer limited edition commemorative bow to the PBS banquet in Nashville Tn. on March 25-27.
Thank you South and Stalker Recurves!

Offline Kid's Pastor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2010, 11:13:00 PM »
I had a beautiful recurve that Charlie built for me back in the late 80's. It was a smooth good shooting bow. I killed Blacktail and Roosevelt elk with her. I sold it when I switched to longbows, and have regretted it ever since.
I will check out the new web site, who knows I might take a trip down memory lane.

Offline peter c iacavazzi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2010, 12:53:00 AM »
I know South Cox very well. He's a good man, and I'm proud to call him my friend. He recently built me a beautiful "Stalker" recurve. 58" 70lbs @ 28". Its a great bow! Smooth, fast and very "easy" on the eyes. South is a very talented woodworker and his attention to details and his craftsmanship are very evident in his bows.

Offline peter c iacavazzi

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2010, 12:56:00 AM »
South may be reached at  www.stalkerrecurves.com  or at [email protected]  I would highly recomend his bows. Check out his website, I think you'll be very impressed with the bows South Cox is now making!!!

Best,

Peter Iacavazzi

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2010, 10:50:00 AM »
Thanks Peter, your endorsement carrys a lot of weight.

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2010, 01:52:00 PM »
Originally posted by Burnsie:
Thanks Peter, your endorsement carrys a lot of weight.
:thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:

Offline CDR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2010, 07:23:00 PM »
Wow! Very nice looking bows, and a great website. Have to keep a close eye on these.

Offline Mike VanBuren

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2010, 07:34:00 PM »
I've kept an eye on that website for the last few months. A test drive just might win me over some day. I like the zebrawood and bubinga combination.

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2010, 09:30:00 AM »
up

Offline Purehunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2010, 02:03:00 PM »
Burnsie,
Yes, South does make a very good bow. My bow is the first one pictured in his gallery on the website. 53# @28 Striker. They are very smooth and my bow really likes wood arrows but carbons also shoot well out of it. I have killed a pig with it.

The bows are well crafted and South is a good guy to work with. I had no "traditional" archery knowledge but wanted to get into it. I chose to go custom as I believe you get what you pay for. He was very sincere and helpful with all of my questions. And ya, love to have the Schleyer Commemorative.

Purehunter
Hunt it, kill it, grill it!

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2010, 02:16:00 AM »
Just put in an order for one!  I'll keep you guys posted as soon as I get it!

Ryan

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©