3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Stalker Recurves  (Read 583 times)

Offline zwickeyman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Stalker Recurves
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2010, 10:38:00 PM »
Bringing this to the top. I shot a couple of his recurves this weekend at the Western States Rendevouze. Just like every one says. Smoothe draw, little handshock, fast, quiet and the fit and finish is as good as any ones. I'm thinking about having South build me one. Oh, the grip is great also.

Offline Bivyhunter

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2010, 08:55:00 AM »
Burnsie, I must correct you on one point, Charlie is still happily married to his long-time wife Brenda.  He just got too busy raising 4 kids and a full time-plus job as a construction superintendent.  Something had to give, and fortunately for me, it was the bow business (although I would have like to have a daughter!).  If you are interested in shooting a Stalker, let me know your specs and I'll send you one so you won't have to wonder what it's like.

Offline Herdbull

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2010, 11:27:00 AM »
I have talk to South a few times via email and I'm glad he is honoring Bart Schleyer. South talked to the Schleyer family before doing so, and he is donating some of the proceeds of the Schleyer model to Bart's son Artyom's education fund. This says a lot to me.
I have always liked the Jim Backenbury and Wes Wallace style bows. These Stalkers would seem to fit me as well. Mike

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2010, 02:51:00 PM »
South just updated his website.  He now has a pic of the Schleyer model.

I've had my stalker for about a month, and to say "I love it" would be an understatement.

South is also a great bowyer to work with!

Full draw pic from the range

Ryan

Online elkken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2010, 04:49:00 PM »
South was just at the Western States Rondevous in Washington this past holiday weekend. I had never heard of his bows so I shot one. They are very smooth and fine shooters to say the least. They are also very pretty to look at. South was a very pleasant guy to talk to and he was accompanied by his wife and young son. Definately a bow to take a hard look at if you are looking for a new recurve. I liked it better than the Blacktail takedown I have thats for sure and Norm makes some pretty fine bows too ...
Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Blacktail101

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2010, 02:18:00 PM »
I have been fortunate enough to know South most of my life.When i heard he was going to start making bows i was excited as he was knowing the passion he has for woodworking i couldnt wait to see how they were going to turn out.When i saw the first one i was amazed but not knowing if i wanted to switch from combound to recurve i was hesitant he told me take one and try it out.Well now im a proud owner of two Striker recurves bows one of them is the Striker you see on his web site.I cant believe how well it fits my hand and shoots.I should of switch a long time ago.Shhhh dont tell my wife but i have put my oder in for him to build me a Shleyer bow also what a beauty. Oh i would like to add that i am very proud to be apart of the Traditional family now.

Offline Jason Hairston

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2010, 03:24:00 AM »
I have shot a Stalker bow for 16 years and was disappointed to say the least when Charlie quit building bows and put the business up for sale.  

I bought one of South's new Striker's and is out shoots my old trusty Shooting Star.  Smoother, faster and quieter.  I am impressed with the craftsmanship and the service South gave me.  To top it off I received my bow in 5 weeks!

Offline Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2010, 06:54:00 AM »
I just went to the website and heard about Stalker recurves but really never checked them out till now...His bows look much like the Fox High Sierra I have especially in the riser profile...Did Ron King, Jim, Charlie and Wes all have some Bowyer classes together or just use some of the same designs? The Stalker has to be smooth as butter in the draw cause it almost looks like my Fox...I've got to pull a Jim Brackenberry bow and it seemed to have the same feel in the palm as the High Sierra...Anyway they all seem to be keepers cause you don't see many come up on the classifieds much...   :archer:

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2010, 10:21:00 AM »
Originally posted by Bivyhunter:
Burnsie, I must correct you on one point, Charlie is still happily married to his long-time wife Brenda.  He just got too busy raising 4 kids and a full time-plus job as a construction superintendent.  Something had to give, and fortunately for me, it was the bow business (although I would have like to have a daughter!).  If you are interested in shooting a Stalker, let me know your specs and I'll send you one so you won't have to wonder what it's like.
Thanks for chiming in South, and thanks for the offer to shoot one of your bows. I see you are planning to be at Compton in a few weeks, I will definitley look you up and do just that.
Also, just to clarify, I believe it was Toejammer who stated Charlie had been divorced in the 2nd post of this thread - all's good.
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2010, 02:29:00 PM »
Keefer, if I'm not mistaken...  Fox, Wallace, Blacktail, and Charlie Bisharat (the founder of Stalker Recurves) all mentored under Jim Brackenbury. Which is why all of the bows have similar designs.

Ryan

Offline Keefer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2010, 05:37:00 PM »
Ryan,
  I thought I heard that somewhere before and couldn't remember but that explains why I like all those bows...Thanks for the reply ! Keefer's <")))><

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2010, 12:43:00 AM »
ttt
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline Mt. Thumper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2010, 10:23:00 AM »
I got my Stalker a few weeks ago.  Excellent craftsmanship, beautiful bow, and spits an arrow like there's no tomorrow.  Super smooth drawing bow.
I spent three hours shooting 3-D targets yesterday with a couple of buddies, and I shot very well, especially considering the fact that I haven't spent much time practicing.  The grip fits my hand perfectly.  The first time I shot it I hit a 4" bullseye at 25 yards!  I cannot be happier with it.

Steve

Offline Blacktail101

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2010, 11:48:00 AM »
S2 Bowstrings, South was telling me that he has your string on one of his bows and says it is a great combo i have checked it out and im liking what i saw so i was wondering how i could go about getting one on my Stiker bow im sure i could get the info from him

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2010, 03:08:00 PM »
Leonard,

I'll pm you my contact info.

Thanks,
Ryan

Offline Blacktail101

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2010, 06:24:00 PM »
Ryan, Thanks i really appreciate it.

Offline D Harris

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2010, 10:15:00 AM »
I just ordered a bow from South recently, should have it by the end of the week. Communication went well beyond expectations as I'm sure the performance of the bow
will. I'll be sure to post pics when it arrives. I will definitely be ordering a Scheyler very soon as well.

Dave

Offline D Harris

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2010, 11:51:00 PM »
My stalker just arrived, I'll get some pics up within a day or two, it looks better then I expected!!

Offline owlbait

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2010, 06:53:00 AM »
Can't wait to see the pics Dave. I have flame madrone veneers on the back and myrtle veneers on the belly and it is a fantastic looking and shooting bow. I went with the less expensive riser with the actionwood and it holds its own with the accents that South put on it. Great, repeatable grip, with a smoothness of draw to match. Good luck with your new Stalker.
Mike Gerard  owlbait
Advice from The Buck:"Only little girls shoot spikers!"

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2010, 02:30:00 PM »
Dave,

How's the 56" working for you?
Can't wait to see the pics!  A Schleyer huh...I'm jealous!

Ryan

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©