3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: trad lite help  (Read 233 times)

Offline Doubledrop

• Trad Bowhunter
trad lite help
« on: March 11, 2010, 05:12:00 PM »
Hope that yall with more experiance can help me out.  I am shooting a PSR that is 55lbs at 27" I draw 27.75 brace height is 7.5" I shoot right handed. I am shooting Ad Trad lites cut to 30" with a carbon collor 160 grain snuffer 100 grain broadhead adapter and the AD insert total point weight is about 280 grains.  I don't seem to be getting good consistant arrow flight. Judging by my arrow flight It seems like the nock end of the arrow is pushing to the right before straighting up.  I am new to the AD shafts so any help would be appreciated.  Could I be under spined?  Thanks in advance.
Chris

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: trad lite help
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 05:35:00 PM »
It does sound alittle like your arrows are weak especially with that much weight up front,try lighting up the front end weight.My bows are 50# and under that I shoot Trad Lites from with a 145 to 175 gr. point.I shoot Trads out of my 55# to 65# bows with 145 to 225 grs. up front.Try taking 100 grs. off the front end and see how they fly.

Offline Glenn Hickey Jr.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 07:05:00 PM »
I would agree I think you have weakened the arrow too much with the added weight.  I shoot about the same setup and shoot AD's cut to 29 with the OEM insert and 145 to 200 BH and points.
Father, Glorify Thyself..
at my expense...
and send me the bill.

Offline azhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2010, 12:16:00 AM »
Your arrow is probably a little weak.  I would keep the weight you have and cut off 1/4 inch and then shoot and then keep taking off 1/4 inch if you have to until you get good arrow flight. That is much easier than buying new broadheads. I think if you do this you will be just fine. I shoot around 50# bows at my 28 inch draw and shoot trad lites cut 29.5 with 100 grain inserts and a 125 grain broadhead. My guess is you may end up with around a 29 inch arrow or just a little more.

Offline onewhohasfun

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2010, 06:18:00 AM »
How much feather -fletch do you have on these? I had to go to big 4 fletch on my A/D's. #56@30 shrew full lenght with 325g up front.
Tom

Offline Glenn Hickey Jr.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2010, 10:06:00 AM »
I use four fletch because I like the look, and I don't worry about cock feather in-out-up-down, I simply pick a spot, draw and release
Father, Glorify Thyself..
at my expense...
and send me the bill.

Offline 47pronghorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2010, 10:26:00 AM »
Using Stu Millers Dynamic Spine Calculator...
Assuming your bow shoots fast flight and that is is cut exactly to center, the dynamic spine of your bow is 67.7lb.

If your arrows were 28.5" long, 160gr point, 100gr insert, and assuming the carbon collar is 20gr, the dynamic spine would be 67.4lb.

Most likely your arrow is weak currently and just needs shortening up a little at a time until you get good flight.

Offline Paul Mattson

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2010, 10:38:00 AM »
FYI, Stu's calulator will work for AD's.  Like said above try shorting up the arrows or try less wt.  If you do cut them make sure to cut from the point end.

Offline HATCHCHASER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2010, 05:18:00 PM »
If the nock is kicking to the right then that means the arrow is stiff for a righty.  Go up and down with your point weight and see what happens.
It's not the arrival, it's the journey.

Offline Doubledrop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2010, 07:53:00 PM »
how do you make the dynamic spine calculator work for the arrow dynamics??

Offline hkmp5

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2010, 08:22:00 PM »
Hello All,
BadgerArrow is correct.  The DSC is for parallel shaft and not for shafts with built in FOC.  Those type of arrows will have a lower dynamic spine than what the calculator shows.  In this case I aggree with the others that the setup given is likely weak in spine.
-Stu

Offline sagebrush

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2010, 08:45:00 PM »
Another way to check is to build out your sideplate slightly(put a toothpick under the sideplate).That way you don't have to change nothing else. I built some arrows last year for some 45 lb. limbs. Then I bought some 55lb. limbs. I just built out the sideplate until they shot good. Ended up killing an elk with those arrows. Gary

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©