3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Soul-searching - pursuit v. budget  (Read 700 times)

Offline GMMAT

• Trad Bowhunter
Soul-searching - pursuit v. budget
« on: March 11, 2010, 06:47:00 PM »
Like many, I have a conflict.  No drama here - just a discussion.

My conflict is my desire to hunt a goat/sheep v. my bank account.

I've always been (and it grows stronger, each year) a "manner of taking" guy in lieu of an "end result" guy.  But, I can't sit here and tell you I wouldn't like to take a goat/sheep.

As most of you know.....it's tough to find a fair chase hunt of this nature that isn't VERY expensive.

Does anyone else have a similar, inner conflict?

I can afford to chase 'em.  I'm just not sure I wanna chase 'em in an enclosure.  I know guys who go to Africa that hunt inside huge enclosures.  They seem to endure it, just fine!....lol

Just fodder for discussion.

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Soul-searching - pursuit v. budget
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 07:23:00 PM »
The three of us argue about it CONSTANTLY!

Me say "lets hunt goats this year", myself then says "but you've shot several goats concentrate on sheep this year", then I says "try and work it all in, don't be such as pansy".....

Johnnie Laird (Muskeg Excursions out of Ketchikan) would probably consider a drastically reduced rate for an early August goat hunt out of Hyder, Alaska because it can be done off the road system and his expenses are greatly reduced.  

Johnnie and his partner know goats and some of the biggest ones anywhere are in that area and you should have the best weather.

Offline GMMAT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 07:37:00 PM »
Steve:

Thanks.  If you (and anyone else wishing to promote a particular state/outfitter/etc...) could give me a "rough" est. at cost....that would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 07:40:00 PM »
I think so.. sorta any way but I'd have substitute elk for sheep and pigs for goats or maybe goat for pronghorn or sheep for moose.

The rich Uncle needs to stop in for a hunt or I need to hunt for a rich Uncle.

It's way too confusing so I'll just stay home this year and hunt turkey and whitetails.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline GMMAT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 07:53:00 PM »
I wouldn't even consider it for something I can afford to hunt free-range.  I'm hopefully hunting hogs, soon.  Elk on public land, this fall.

I turned down (2X) a whitetail hunt in a fence....when I was told I could take a 150" "mgmt" buck.  No thanks.

Not saying I'll do this.  Just thinking out loud.

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 08:06:00 PM »
I myself would love a CO elk hunt.My buddy and I dream about it.His GF's sister and her Husband live there so we have a free place to stay.Just have to look into the details.But that would mine.I can afford my hunt as well,it's the time/logistics that are the hurdle.

High fence isn't my thing either.No offense to those that like it,just not for me.
>>>>--TGMM family of the bow--->

Offline LITTLEBIGMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2010, 08:12:00 PM »
I want to go moose hunting again so bad i can taste it! But the average outfitters hunt in Canada is a minimum of 5k.  Right now I just cant justify it. So I'll be home hunting turkeys and whitetails . Perhaps next year or the year after!
Make a life, not a living

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2010, 08:13:00 PM »
You're talking about mountain goats, right?  Has someone figured out a way to put a fence around them? Regardless.  There's hunting and there's killing.  A fence provides the definition between the two.

Offline GMMAT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2010, 08:19:00 PM »
Orion....I take it you're not a fan of African hunts?

I'm not asking what THE definition of anything is.  I'm asking for opinions.

Offline mrpenguin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2010, 08:49:00 PM »
Right now, with CT DOUBLING THE HUNTING LICENSE, I am hoping to be able to get out for the spring gobblers as it is!!  That said I know what you mean GMMAT.  I'd love to scale the mountains for goat or sheep!!  I mean, I am always a do-it-all-the-way-kinda-guy, so its not surprising that I work hard at learning to spot and stalk while others perfect the treestand methods (which I also use I might add  ;) .

So, if I win the lotto, I going to Canada for Moose, CO for Elk, and the Yukon for Rams!!!  Until then, I can be found in the Autumn leaves of CT skulking around for whitetails and turkeys (and someday maybe moose and black bears!).
God Bless,
Erik
_ _ _ _  _  
Crow Creek Black Feather Recurve 49@28
Browning Wasp 50@28

"And we know for those who love God all things work together for good"-Romans 8:28

"It's so hard to stop being a man and start being a wolf" - G. Fred Asbell

Offline inn8hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2010, 09:01:00 PM »
GMMAT:

If you are talking about spending 10K+ to shoot a real free range sheep/goat and whatever ($2K??) to hunt a penned one, I'm guessing by reading your posts and passion for hunting you'd probably find it anti-climatic for yourself.

I'm guessing for myself, it would be fun to shoot one that was not free ranging especially if the guys in camp were good company, but it wouldn't be any where near the "accomplishment" of doing a free range hunt.

My problem, and I'm sure many here is that $10K+ is just out of the question. So, like others, until some windfall comes in, I'm hunting what I can hunt - deer, turkey, and small game. I hope to get to hunt some hogs within a year or two, and still get a nice elk hunt in some time in the next 5 years or so.

Tim

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2010, 09:17:00 PM »
Jeff, that's why they call it a "Dream Hunt"
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2010, 09:28:00 PM »
Three kids and a wife in school,No conflict the answer is no I can't afford it.Sucks for me for a few years till she's done school and gets the good job then she's my sugar momma and I travel...LOL
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Molson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2010, 09:37:00 PM »
If you are hunting sheep or goat in a place that is not their environment are you really hunting a sheep or a goat?

I think I'd keep packing away the cash and putting in to draw a tag. If it was important to me, I'd be waiting until the real opportunity arrived.
"The old ways will work in the future, but the new ways have never worked in the past."

Offline GMMAT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2010, 09:58:00 PM »
I'm guessing for myself, it would be fun to shoot one that was not free ranging especially if the guys in camp were good company, but it wouldn't be any where near the "accomplishment" of doing a free range hunt.

I agree 100% (not the accomplishment of a free-range hunt).  No contest (for ME, personally).  I'd feel more of an accomplishment for the 7-pointer I shot last year (little over 91")...than I would a 150", shot at an outfitter.

But....I'd still enjoy the 150"!  :)  

I'm just discussing this, guys.  The fact of the matter is.....my wife and I fly, fairly frequently.  So, we usually fly - free.  I've researched and found a place I can do a hunt like this for under $1K.

So....my interest is somewhat piqued.  I don't want to (and wouldn't) sit in a stand over a feeder and kill one.  I wanna do it from the ground, without a ground blind.

Plus....I'd get to see some more country.  Never a bad thing.

Offline Jeff D. Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2010, 10:13:00 PM »
Not sure if this helps, but
Genesis 27:3 "Take your bow and a quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game for me."

Proud PBS regular member - if you are a serious bowhunter, check us out at     http://probow.discussion.community

Offline flatlander37

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2010, 10:16:00 PM »
I think Tom said it best....it's a dream hunt.  I'm a blue collar state worker in law enforcement, which means I ain't getting rich anytime soon, especially with the state of the economy in this country.  I would love to bowhunt moose, bears, and elk, but my really big dream is bighorn sheep.  They are such a majestic animal in my book.  I could afford a hunt every couple of years as long as nothing out of the ordinary happens.  For now I will be content with whitetails and an occasional pig hunt on my budget.  Hope you find the answer you're looking for.  Mark
"Better to be thought a fool, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt"-Abe Lincoln

Offline Jedimaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2010, 10:19:00 PM »
I'd make it happen for 1K!  Our family spends that much just going on vacation for a few days - only 7 hours from home (and could easily spend more).  At the very least you will have an opportunity to see some beautiful country, challenge yourself, and make lifetime memories.

Some things are just out of reach due to price and everyone's limit is different. But if you can get it in under-budget - do it!
Do or do not ... there is no "try"

Cum catapulatae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.

Offline Jeff D. Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2010, 10:20:00 PM »
Sorry, bumped the wrong key.....

I did a CO bighorn ewe bowhunt for less than $4000 several years ago.  I loved it and wish I had cleared my schedule to hunt the entire sheep season - I also had a MT elk/deer combo tag and split my available vacation time but that was a mistake. I got a little greedy, trying to cram as much hunting into one trip as possible, and picked up a mule deer tag too and that further distracted me from my goal of arrowing a bighorn sheep (but I almost got a whopper mulie in velvet).

Of course you have to draw the tag but a ewe tag is much easier to draw in CO than a ram tag.  MT ewe is worth looking into also.
Genesis 27:3 "Take your bow and a quiver full of arrows out into the open country, and hunt some wild game for me."

Proud PBS regular member - if you are a serious bowhunter, check us out at     http://probow.discussion.community

Offline GMMAT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2010, 10:26:00 PM »
Thanks, Jeff.  I have a dear friend in CO, who I'll be chasing mulies and elk with in Sept..  Either-sex elk.....mulie tag (either-sex...if I draw the tag)...and I'm not going to spend over $1,200 on the entire trip.  We'll be hunting unit 45 (OTC elk tag) and camping on his land.

His sister finally got a ram tag on her NINETEENTH attempt, last year.  I didn't ask how much the tag was....and she's a RESIDENT!....lol.

Would it mean "as much" to me to take one non fair-chase?  Heck no.  But....is it better than not going, at all?

That's the question.

Thanks SO MUCH for your responses - all.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©