3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Soul-searching - pursuit v. budget  (Read 702 times)

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Soul-searching - pursuit v. budget
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2010, 10:54:00 PM »
G:

The situation I mentioned is the sole mtn goat hunt that doesn't require a drawing tag that I know of that a working man can reasonably afford.  That said, I don't know if Johnnie would still consider that or not.

Offline rappstar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2010, 11:01:00 PM »
GMMAT,

You can hunt bighorn sheep over-the-counter in Montana.  I believe the tag is about $700 bucks.  Its a quota hunt which means when the quota is met, you have something like 24 hours till the season ends.  

I've read that it is the toughest hunt in the lower 48 states.  Big time grizz country and deep in the backcountry.  

So there you go.  You can do the homework and hunt DIY bighorn sheep in Montana for probably less than $1500 bucks!

Let me know if you get serious about doing it!

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2010, 11:30:00 PM »
I need to look it up.  I can't believe that an out of state tag for ANYTHING in Montana or Wyoming is only $700, much less a bighorn sheep.  

Wyoming for certain has gotten to be a serious rip off on non-residents.
My opinion
ChuckC

Offline Earthdog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2010, 11:37:00 PM »
Last year I had the opertunity to go on a hunt I'd dreamed about for years,,,but the $$$$,,wow.

I'm still paying for that one,but I did it an I'm never going to regret it.

You only live once,let us know how you do :)
Winning or losing is not the important thing,,the important thing is how well you played the game.

Offline rappstar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2010, 11:47:00 PM »
ChuckC,

I believe its the only OTC Bighorn Sheep hunt.  The disticts are somthing like 300, 301, 500 and 501.

A lot of guys consider it a sucker tag.  MT makes some money but thats about it.  I believe its an any weapon tag as well.  If you see a sheep outfitter in MT that "guarantees" a tag, they are hunting these districts.  A guy named Jack Atcheson made a name for himself hunting this area...

All of the odds are stacked against you; HOWEVER, you can hunt sheep in the lower 48 if you want to.

Offline raideranch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2010, 03:18:00 AM »
In West Texas/the Panhandle we can hunt free range Aoudad along the Caprock anytime because they are exotics.  They have got to be one of the toughest things to bring down in the states.  They are big sheep and have large horns.  I don’t know their whole range in the states but I wouldn’t imagine it to cost near as much as a Bighorn to hunt and they are just as big and you don’t have to draw a tag.  You can hunt them free with a Texas hunting licenses on public land in South Texas near Lake Amistad certain times of the year.

Offline Biggie Hoffman

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2010, 06:02:00 AM »
Title Pawn
PBS Life Member
Member 1K LLC

"If you are twenty and aren't liberal you don't have a heart...if you're forty and not conservative you don't have a brain".....Winston Churchill

Offline ethan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2010, 06:14:00 AM »
I think "fence" is a relative term when used in a hunting context.  An elk or sheep in a pen that consists of 5 acres or so is alot different than a critter living inside of a 5000 acre "pen".  But it's still a slippery slope I guess.

Offline GMMAT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2010, 06:31:00 AM »
rapp:

If it's the zones/areas I'm thinking about (like I said...I checked Montana's site), they clearly tell you on the website that the OTC areas DO NOT guarantee you that you will be able to access those areas.  It's a land-lock issue.

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2010, 08:01:00 AM »
I guess it just boils down to what you want.If mainly wanting an animal to put on the wall I would just go to game preserve and shoot one.If you are looking the chance to hunt them in the wild then you neede to save more pennys.  :D  

I read somewhere that even with the best guides taking a sheep or goat with any bow was very low percentage.So just because you save the money for the very best hunt chances are you probably won't get an animal.Just something to think about.

I would take the cheaper route myself if I wanted such an animal in the first place.They are not really something I would want to hunt in the wild so I would have no problem going to a preserve and whacking one.  :D
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline Lenny Stankowitz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2010, 08:02:00 AM »
Originally posted by GMMAT:
Like many, I have a conflict.  No drama here - just a discussion.

My conflict is my desire to hunt a goat/sheep v. my bank account.

I've always been (and it grows stronger, each year) a "manner of taking" guy in lieu of an "end result" guy.  But, I can't sit here and tell you I wouldn't like to take a goat/sheep.

If the above is  really  the way you feel, go and hunt them with your camera.  If you get within bow range, you will no doubt get some AWESOME pictures.  Do everything just like you would with your bow, and do it for the price of a camping trip.  At the end of the day, the only difference is the possession of a carcass.  Let's face it, unless it's a controlled hunt, most goat/sheep hunts with traditional equipment end with just pictures anyway.

Offline longbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2010, 08:14:00 AM »
I've always wanted to moose hunt.  My problem is that if I'm going to spend thousands of dollars on something fun I'd just as soon take my wife.  Since she doesn't hunt we end up going hiking somewhere in the US and I can still have my dream.  It all depends on how much you feel you "need" your hunt vs other things in life.

Offline dragon rider

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2010, 08:14:00 AM »
I couldn't agree more.  A good camera hunt requires all of the woodcraft and hunting skills that any other kind of hunt does and unless you're carrying the kind of lenses that cost more than the actual hunt would, you need to get to damn near bow range to get a good shot.

The other upside of camera hunting, of course, is you don't have to pack out anymore than you packed in.
Don't meddle in the affairs of dragons; people are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2010, 08:27:00 AM »
First off, if you find a penned Mt. Goat or other wild sheep harvest. It will be more exspensive than the real deal. These are generally taken buy people with money that cannot physically do a true wild sheep/goat hunt.There tends to be an extremely high $$$ attached to this ability. Most likely the penned sheep hunts you have seen are for corsican type sheep.

As mentioned above the free ranging sheep in Texas can be one of toughest hunts out there. Well worth considering.
hunt it

Offline rappstar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2010, 08:28:00 AM »
G,

They can't guarantee you access b/c you might get ate by a Grizz on your way in.   :)

You have to go about 8 miles before accessing the unit.  But the 8 miles is through Wilderness...at least to one of the units.  

Sent you a PM.

Offline doeboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2010, 08:51:00 AM »
Why not just put it on a credit card and pay it off when your done? not the smartest thing to do but guys do it!

Offline Danny Rowan

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2010, 09:19:00 AM »
Only place I know of where you can hunt a Mountain Goat is in the West/North. Do not know of any in enclousers, same with true wild sheep like bighorns,Dall and Stone. Now, you can hunt regular goats and exotic rams in an enclouser and some free range. for me I would love to hunt mountain goat and the mountain sheep but am too old and too fat to handle the mountains like that, plus the expense cannot be justified by me, same with the yukon/canadian moose, I just do not have 15,000 to spend on a hunt. I will stick to whitetails,hogs in Texas and the sambar deer and hogs here on Guam and planning a trip to Australia in a couple of years though.

Danny
"When shooting instinctivly,it matters not which eye is dominant"

Jay Kidwell and Glenn St. Charles

TGMM Family Of The Bow
NRA Life/Patron member
NAHC life member
Retired CPO US Navy 1972-1993
Retired USCBP Supervisory Officer 1999-2017

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2010, 09:24:00 AM »
There are several high fence operations that offer big horns and mt.goats but as I stated prior, you will pay more for these hunts than wild/free range hunts. Last I read goat was $10,000.00 - $15,000.00 and big horn $25,000.00 - $50,000.00 pending size. Many a good goat hunt and sheep hunts for less than those $$$.
hunt it

Offline Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2010, 09:31:00 AM »
To me I just can't justify the expense for going after sheep with the success ratio being what it is. I wouldn't shoot past 25 yards. However I have a lot of animals of my list for less that I would be more than happy to go after like pronghorn, javelina, elk, mule deer, black bear etc.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline calgarychef

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2010, 09:51:00 AM »
I try and do whatever I can to make my dreams come true.  I'd love to bag a sheep but if it meant that I'd be looking at my trophy and thinking that all I did was "buy" it I'd feel disappointed with myself.  Sometimes dreams are what keep us going and if we try to take a shortcut to attain the dream we've cheated ourselves.  

As I get older I've attained a lot of my "want list."  It's been a small list and doesn't include a ferrari or big ticket items.  I've noticed that once I've agotten the thing I've lusted after,it loses some of its allure.  So a couple things on my list go unfulfilled on purpost.....just so I can keep dreaming.

the chef

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©