3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tree Saddle  (Read 367 times)

Offline Balding Kansan

• Trad Bowhunter
Tree Saddle
« on: March 11, 2010, 06:55:00 PM »
I love using my tree saddle in the woods because it puts me in places I might not have a stand, be it A. the tree is not fit for a stand, B. didn't have time to hang one, or C. deer patterns change. However I have a hard time maneuvering 64" worth of recurve around the harnesses. Also, I shoot right handed so shots off to the left feel good but anything to the right puts me in an awkward position and i can hardly draw. Any of you guys use a saddle efficiently and how? I thought about strapping on some gaffs so I could pivot around the trunk but then again, I don't feel like limping home because I missed my step and stuck one into my other calf.
I hate rudeness in a man...won't tolerate it. -Lonesome Dove
Hill Country Harvest Master
KennyM Swap bow

Offline Chris Shelton

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tree Saddle
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 07:17:00 PM »
can you explain how these things work, could I walk on some land and set one up in the morning with ease?  I was seriously looking into them without luck after I saw tim strickland use one on his bear hunt!?
~Chris Shelton
"By failing to prepare you are preparing to fail"~Ben Franklin

Offline Balding Kansan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 07:28:00 PM »
Yes sir, put it on over your camos and wear it in. Its best to have some trees previously spotted out beforehand so you're not going in "blind." Depending on how ambitious you are, you can either climb the tree and tie off or put some screw in steps before season (a little safer than climbing from branch to branch.)
I hate rudeness in a man...won't tolerate it. -Lonesome Dove
Hill Country Harvest Master
KennyM Swap bow

Offline Keith Karr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 07:56:00 PM »
Do a search. There's several old threads talking about the TreeSaddle. PM me if you like.
Keith Karr

Offline brock donald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 08:10:00 PM »
I have been wanting to get one so bad, just havent done it yet. Ill be watching for any info on this.

Offline ThePushArchery

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 09:19:00 PM »
I was in the same boat two christmas' ago. Thought it was the coolest thing, and heard a lot of good things about the "swinging stands". Spent all summer before this past season practicing out of a tree in my back yard. I personally hate carrying stuff into the woods, so this was right up my alley. So I thought. My thoughts were:

Don't have to carry a bulky climber, just wear it in!

I can climb up any tree I want!

This will be so concealing in the tree!

I love to hunt from the ground, but this thing isn't a tree stand... Its so different!

Well as I do understand it IS for some people, I sold mine a month before opening day. I knew I was going to hate it. Since I hated lugging stuff into the woods, tree sticks were out of the question. So I was forced to "set-up" my trees before the season, OR spend the first 20 minutes of a hunt screwing in tree steps and getting sweaty. Trimming, climbing, etc... might as well of bought a climber or a couple ladder stands.

I'll stay on Terra Firma from now on. I am an engineer, so I greatly appreciate the innovative design behind the tree saddle, but it is just not for me. But I will say, it is extremely easy to shoot out of that is for sure!

So as a re-cap, the tree saddle is a great hunting tool, and a very quality product... It sure is built to last, but it just didn't mesh with my hunting style.

Offline matt schuster

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2010, 09:20:00 PM »
I got one if somebody wants it - I have a bad back and bought it to try but I just need more support.   It is extremely well made and I have friends who swear by them.   I will sell it for $150, its been used once.

Offline minnesota_hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2010, 09:34:00 PM »
Matt,  i'll send you a e-mail

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2010, 09:39:00 PM »
I hunt with a climbing seat and have used a carabiner in the back and a safety line to help me move around a tree more.Note that I have rock climbing experiencing and if you try this 3-4ft. above the ground till you become efficient you should be ok.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2010, 09:42:00 PM »
the hard part is making sure the deer go where you want them to. If they could end up anywhere around your tree, it is tough to maneuver to your "off" hand over the strap with a bow, a longbow is impossible. You have to spin in place and shoot around yourself...kind of. I am getting used to using guido's web. Very much more comfortable than the saddle. No knee pads needed. More expensive I think too. But I like it a whole lot better having used the saddle. One thing I found is that you have to use the tree as camo and get a bit higher than usual, or get in some good canopy to avoid detection.

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2010, 10:09:00 PM »
Keith Karr and Shane "smokedaddy" Collier turned me on to them and I love it. Hunted exclusively out of it last year and really learned a lot. I use Lone Wolf climbing sticks to get up to height at a new stand location and then use the treehopper drill and bolts for 4 pegs at the top. If it's a stand I'll use again, I drill holes on the way down for my bolts and then just carry in the bolts next time. I've tried everything at the top: strap-on steps, screw in steps, climbing base etc. For me, this is definitely the way to use the setup. If you have good solid pegs at the top, it makes it much easier to move around the tree for the off side shot. These feel permanent and are much faster to put in than screw-in steps...then just slide out when you're done.

You really have to play around with how high you put the strap on the tree and the length of the hanging strap, but once spend some more time with it, you'll find many comfortable ways to set the straps up and what works best for you.

I do agree that Guido's Web is sometimes more comfortable but after getting used to my saddle, it's not nearly as far apart as I had thought earlier. And I can easily shoot just about anywhere around the tree very easily with the saddle....not nearly as easy to shoot out of the web, imho.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Online SuperK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2010, 10:26:00 PM »
I'm with JC. I have never used a Web but last year is the first year I used the tree saddle and I love it!  I'm 57 years old and it is the first time I have ever felt SAFE up in a tree.  I use Rapid Rails to get up the tree and screw-in tree steps (3) for my base.  With a little practice you can shoot just about 360 degrees.  Go to Tree Saddle webs site and read John (forgot his last name) tips on how to set up in it.  I don't ever see using a climbing stand again.  I do have a few ladder stands that I set-up for morning hunts and/or favorite spots but mostly its the saddle.  Do a search here and you can pull up a lot of great info. Give 'em a try...You'll be glad you did!
They exchanged the truth of GOD for a lie,and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator-who is forever praised.Amen Romans 1:25 NIV

Offline BMOELLER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2010, 10:28:00 PM »
Balding, sent you a PM
2009 Kansas State ASA Traditional Champion

Offline BMOELLER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2010, 10:36:00 PM »
Guys, You want to know about the saddle?  Go to Archerytalk and go to bowhunter showcase.  Then go to the sub forum at the top.  There is atleast a 15 page thread discussing tips and set ups on the saddle. Videos etc.  Its what sold me on buying mine.  Thread name is:  Need Advice for treesaddle Help Videos and Pictures.  Simply awesome.
2009 Kansas State ASA Traditional Champion

Offline twostrings

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2010, 10:54:00 PM »
I decided to use it exclusively this past season after toying with it for the past two years...and I love it! I have found it has a few benefits, but my personal favorites are how inexpensive it is to have multiple trees in comparison to having multiple strap on stands in multiple trees (it adds up so quick). However, it does not eliminate the need to set up trees prior to season. Personally, I set up the trees like I always would with screw in steps all the way up to my hunting height. Then I use 3-4 screw in steps to create a platform for my feet and simply wear my saddle in, climb the tree,and hook up the day of the hunt. I would say 3-5 minutes is the average time it takes me to go from standing on the ground to hooked in. Another favorite is being able to hide behind the trunks of trees and out of the sight of game (saved me on at least two different occasions this year).

To answer your question about shooting to the right side of the tree: Unlike other stand types where you simply point and shoot, in the saddle you must always shoot to your left. So, if you need to shoot something on your right, then you simply pivot to your left and away from the tree until you are facing the direction you need. Its a kind of twisting motion. I have not been able to shoot my recurve by lifting my bow over the tether...my string hangs up. I have to spin around.

though it takes a little time to get used to, I highly recommend practicing with it. Once I set a tree up in my backyard to practice out of, I gained a lot of confidence and believe I will probably use my saddle exclusively for years to come. Now that I am used to it, I really don't feel the need to rehang all my platforms.

Good luck!

Matthew

Offline skarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2010, 11:14:00 PM »
Been wanting to try one for some time now mostly because some of the trees I'd like to get into are too small for my hang-on.

For those of you that have experience with the treesuit and tree saddle, which one takes the nod?

Offline tak2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2010, 11:49:00 PM »
I have both a treesuit and tree saddle, would go with the treesaddle. You can move alot easier init around the tree. With smaller trees you can hide behind trunk. You must use something solid at the top for your feet, also easy to fall asleep in. Just my opin.

Offline BD

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2010, 11:39:00 AM »
I used one for about 15 sits a couple years ago and absolutely hated it. Bought a treesuit and I do like it better than the saddle, but my lone wolf's are still be far my favorite
BD

Offline Renaissance Man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2010, 12:15:00 PM »
I use the version that came out many years ago my friend Deano Farkas turned me onto, called the Tree Sling. I find if I am going all day for a stand it is not very comfortable and I need more support for my back. But for general morning or afternoon stands it is fantastic. Often I will scout and pick out some locations and set up some steps ahead of time. But I alway keep about a dozen in a small canvass pouch in case I run into something new.
For a still hunter it is great, move into an area hunting real slow, find a spot that looks very promising stop and set up, usually I pick a tree with the branches the way I like them and use as few steps as possible.
A couple of points I found earlier on, wear boots with a good strong sole as my feet would get sore standing on a rounded branch or tree step and my Maine Hunting Shoe was not cutting it for that.
Set up in the tree so you can pivot around the tree, no problems for me shooting longbow or recurve. I love this cause I can keep the tree as cover and pivot around it as I need.
Use the sling as a deer drag and when in a permanent stand I use mine as a safety belt.
I have not hunted without mine wrapped around me now for about 15 years. Dont even know it is there now.
I am assuming the tree sling is a similar style to the tree saddle, with the sling you are facing the tree sort of like a linemans/tree cutter rig.

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2010, 02:36:00 PM »
I have one and will use it for certain settings.  

That being said- many guys talk about the portability of not setting stands before season, not needing many stands, etc.  BUT I have ALWAYS hunted portable and with just one stand- even before I had a tree saddle.  I have Lone Wolf set-up that only weighs 4# more (not much on my back!) than the tree saddle and I always set-up new every time I hunt.  I do not even set up many trees before season- one time in and set up.

Further- I agree you can shoot different directions with the saddle, but as stated- you have to completely spin around to make basic shots off to certain sides.  This makes for an interesting situation when you have a deer moving.  I have found that for all practical purposes, I have much better shooting and stability with a standard portable stand; I move far less, do not have to manipulate my position or bow, etc.

I think the saddle is much more conducive to a compound bow.  And it probably has its place; but weight, portability, and owning just one stand are NOT unique features to a tree-saddle type set-up.  

Good Hunting
Dan in KS
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©