3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tree Saddle  (Read 368 times)

Offline firsted

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tree Saddle
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2010, 02:51:00 PM »
I believe I'm sold on at least having one or the other (suit or seat).  Seems like either/or may come down to physicality and preference.  Seems like having one and not needing it would be fine for me.  Here in New Mexico, we have to draw into hunts unless you've got lots of cash to throw around.  Odds of drawing each year to the same areas aren't so good & you can't always extensively scout areas early on.  This sounds like a good tool as long as its quiet & quick going up and down trees.  Some areas warrant getting up like this and just "hanging out" (no pun intended) to scout movement.  Man, I DO miss my whitetail hunts!  Big muley bucks are just too sauvy!
Thanks for the product reviews,

Eddie
*** Skysoldier - 1/509 ABN

--"You don't get old until your dreams are replaced by regrets"--

Offline amicus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2010, 03:26:00 PM »
I bought one and tried it out in my back yard. I just could not get used to it. I really wanted to like it but it just was not for me. I was never comfortable and I just felt like there was to much movement involved to get ready to shoot. And I could never shoot well out of it. I'll stick to my tree stands for now.

Gilbert
The blessing of the Lord, it maketh rich and He addeth no sorrow with it. Prov 10;22

A sinner saved by Grace.

Offline huntin_sparty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2010, 03:28:00 PM »
I have the treesaddle and I will say this if I was able to prep trees with screw in steps it would be my main hunting off the ground.  I hunt leases and state land that screw in are not allowed.  After adding LW sticks a string ameristep strap steps for a platform I am not right up to my climber.  So I only use it on trees that a climber cant go.  But again if I owned my own property to prep trees in advance with screw ins it would be my go to.  I feel very safe facing the tree with it and have been able to go higher up with the saddle.
More bows than I should have!
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters

Offline Onehair

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2010, 03:39:00 PM »
It's a must to lean into the shot to provide clearance and for a righty all shots are off the left side or behind you unless you are using a short confound. The key is to anticipate deer movement and set up for the shot. I have hunted for 20 years out of a Saddle or my own make. You have to learn to plant your knees so that you can slowly rotate. I am sure I have taken 50 or so shots from this setup and do not recall ever being blocked out of a shot. Spend sometime and learn how easy it is to slip around the tree. I make sure that I always have the tree between me and the approaching deer. You can contact me directly if I can be of help.

Offline huntin_sparty

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2010, 03:45:00 PM »
Originally posted by Onehair:
 You have to learn to plant your knees so that you can slowly rotate. I am sure I have taken 50 or so shots from this setup and do not recall ever being blocked out of a shot. Spend sometime and learn how easy it is to slip around the tree. I make sure that I always have the tree between me and the approaching deer. You can contact me directly if I can be of help.
I got tied up in the use issue and forgot shooting.  This is great advice, the saddle requires a lot of pre season practice at low height just to get use to moving.  Also wear fleece or wool pants.  For me my knees against the tree were key to stabilizing while moving around the tree and can make noisy clothes even more so.
More bows than I should have!
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2010, 03:54:00 PM »
I have used one alittle the last couple of season. It has been nice for remote locations and realy like them for elk wallows. Elk are not always at the same wallow so I can hike until I have an active one,if not active I can still hunt ect.. without alot of weight on me. I think as stated earlier having a good top platform of pegs helps with the off side shoots or spin around the tree. I usally set up so the best angle(left side for me) is in the direction of the trail/wallow. Once I find a good location I leave the pegs in and now I have several spots I can access easy. They may not be perfect but I think they have a place in my hunting arsenal of tricks.

Offline firsted

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2010, 06:10:00 PM »
PM sent to Amicus
*** Skysoldier - 1/509 ABN

--"You don't get old until your dreams are replaced by regrets"--

Offline StickBowManMI

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2010, 11:43:00 PM »
Is this similar to the "Andersen Tree Sling?

Offline rg176bnc

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2010, 10:51:00 AM »
I was looking for the Ameristep strap on steps and they have ALL been recalled for safety.

Hope they dont quit making them.

Offline bicster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2010, 05:00:00 PM »
I hunted with the tree saddle this year and loved it! High top laced boots with a stiff sole are a great suggestion. The first time I used it with rubber boots my feet and ankles were really sore from lack of support. I used the "T" screws they sell on the website to make my platform. They are very sharp and with the T shape they go in easy.
Bic

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©