3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Thinking about trying Douglas Fir/ Pics Added  (Read 400 times)

Online R. Combs

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Thinking about trying Douglas Fir/ Pics Added
« on: March 11, 2010, 08:19:00 PM »
I have been using Sitka Spruce shafts for about 5 years now. I like the strength of the shaft as they don't break as easily as cedar arrows that I used to make do to there long fibers. Being able to get them in a wide variety of grains per spine group is also a bonus. Another thing that I like about the shafts is that the Neil Hilebrand has all but eliminated any rift in the shaft so you really don't have to worry about fletching them for a right or left hand shooter. I know some people don't think that you need to align them like that, but I have every since I had one break and almost stick in the back of my hand because the rift was aligned in the wrong direction. The only down side to them is how long it takes me to straighten them. Usually longer then the rest of the arrow making process combined.
  So I guess with all these benefits the only reason that I am thinking of trying Douglas Fir is because I keep reading about how straight there are. I know that I have read that they are also a tough shaft. Can you get them in a variety of grains per spine group?
  Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks, Rick

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Thinking about trying Douglas Fir/ Pics Added
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 08:28:00 PM »
You can from what I've read on the site.I'm sure if you give them a ring or send and email they will tell you.

I got some 75-80's from them and was very pleased with straightness.Cannot go wrong with surewoods!
>>>>--TGMM family of the bow--->

Offline meathead

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 08:35:00 PM »
They can be a straight shaft material.  I am working on a couple dozen now that took minimal work to get them straightened.  They are a fairly durable shaft but nothing like a hardwood.  I am not to sure about weight ranges.  I have a pretty short draw 27" and usually ask to get as heavy of a shaft as I can.

Online R. Combs

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 08:47:00 PM »
I have been getting 60-64 spine shafts at around 330 grains, that I put a 9" taper on the nock end and when finished with a 125 grain point and cut to 29" bop, gives me about 9.5 grains per pound off of my 48@28" lb. bow. Right around 460 grains total

Rick

Online flint kemper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 09:14:00 PM »
Rick, I am shooting 55-59 Douglas Fir out of my bow and cut 29 BOP and 160 Grizzly they are going right at 600 grains. Give Rick(Fletcher) on here from The Feathered Shaft he is a sponsor a PM or e-mail and he will fix you up. Rick still culls some of the so called good ones from Surewwod that is how particular he is. Hope this helps. Flint

Offline StanM

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 09:18:00 PM »
Rick, get yourself some Surewood shafts, you absolutely can't got wrong with them.  They will get you hooked up with exactly what you are looking for in spine and weight.

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2010, 09:48:00 PM »
got mine from feathered shaft and love them. I will likely stop using cedars as they disappear.

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2010, 10:53:00 PM »
Rick, go to Surewoods website, look on the "mass weight" page, it will give you an idea of what yor shafts will weigh. They have a good range but WILL be heavier than the spruce.

Eric

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2010, 02:22:00 AM »
I think you'll like them.
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2010, 05:49:00 AM »
Doug Fir is good stuff, I have made my own shafts with it cutting blanks out of old porch floor boards. After weeding out the bad ones what are left is a very durable shaft that fly's well. It's a strong wood that is why they use it for cross arms and other components on electric poles and towers.
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2010, 08:44:00 AM »
i bought a dozen surewoods from braveheart and boy they are nice!  just got in 2 dozen more.  

on the first dozen i've fitted six with 190gr tusker concordes and internally footed the shafts with 1/8" oak dowel to stiffen the area behind the point.  

the other six will be strictly for roving, with 135gr judos and i internally footed those shafts with 55gr nail weights.

all finished arrows weigh in around 565 grains each.

IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2010, 09:26:00 AM »
I too made arrows out of spruce first. Then I discovered Surewood doug fir shafts. The guys at Surewood are great to deal with. Give them a call and they will help you get what you need.  :thumbsup:
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2010, 09:40:00 AM »
Doug fir is generally a little heavier than Sitka Spruce, about 20% is my guess.  However, its weight varies within any spine range just like any other woods so a light Doug Fir for the spine range might be very close in physical weight to your spruce.

I agree with the others regarding Surewood Doug fir -- the straightest, highest quality Doug firs I've ever come across.

Offline Arrow4Christ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2010, 10:21:00 AM »
Surewood is as good as it gets for wood shafts  ;)  Very consistent and the customer service is excellent!

Craig

Online Jim Wright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2010, 11:39:00 AM »
I have had 4 dozen made for me over the last couple of years and now am making my own and have 2 dozen shafts from Surewood on the way. I like everything about them and easily getting heavy weights is a plus. I have dealt with Roarke and Bob at Surewood Shafts and both will go out of their way to help you. Douglas Fir shafts have a lot more going for them them than just being straight, which they definitely are by the way.

Online R. Combs

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2010, 07:01:00 PM »
Thanks for the info everyone. I am going to give them a try.

Rick

Offline 3Under

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2010, 08:39:00 PM »
Douglas Fir soaked in Minwax wood hardener (ala the article in TBM ),60-65 lb spined tapered shafts, 28.5" long with 160 grain bradheads or F.T. finished out @ 572 grains
PBS,KTBA,HCB,UBK

...  When thru the forest glades I wander and hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees, when I look down from lofty mountain grandeur and hear the brook and feel the gentle breeze, ...How great Thou art!

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2010, 08:55:00 PM »
My Doug. fir arrows I recently finished were 60-65 # shafts, stained, clearcoat 3 times, rear 10" taper to 5/16" cut to 29.25" with 160 points weigh in at 590 - 600 grns.
Best shafts I have ever had for straightness.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2010, 09:15:00 PM »
the surewood fir per shaft weight range can vary by 50 grains alone.

after cutting to length and adding nock/point tapers, the 6 shafts i've been working on now gets clear coated with 5 wipes of min-wax gloss polyu (wipe on, first 3 coats are buffed with 4/0 steel wool), then i lay a wrap of 3/4" 3m blue tape on the shaft that ends at 8" from the start of the nock taper.

the front of the shaft to the tape gets 2 coats of min-wax polyshade 'american chestnut' shader stain, followed by a final gloss clear coat.  

i remove the 3m blue tape and crest that area with sharpie pen colors and a pentel silver marking pen.  

ready for nock, fletching and pointing up.  i love making woodies.   :thumbsup:
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline michaelschwister

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2010, 07:05:00 AM »
I have had great luck with tapered surewoods made by Dave Doran at archery past. Great shafts, nothing bad to say.  Dave hand weighs and spines so they are all right there.
"The best thing to give to your enemy is forgiveness; to a friend, your heart; to your child, a good example; to a father, deference; to your mother, conduct that will make her proud of you; to yourself, respect" - Benjamin Franklin

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©