3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Thinking about trying Douglas Fir/ Pics Added  (Read 399 times)

Offline 3Under

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Thinking about trying Douglas Fir/ Pics Added
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2010, 07:23:00 AM »
How 'bout some photos Rob???
PBS,KTBA,HCB,UBK

...  When thru the forest glades I wander and hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees, when I look down from lofty mountain grandeur and hear the brook and feel the gentle breeze, ...How great Thou art!

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2010, 07:38:00 AM »
Originally posted by 3Under:
maybe monday or tuesday, when i get back to the ranch.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline 3Under

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2010, 10:01:00 AM »
I've never tried "Surewood" shafts but my first order from Hildebrand  was very  good. They were straight and within tolerance for both spine and weight. They were tappered 11/32 to 5/16 (the last 10" or so).
Hildebrand also offers a neat tapper for hunting. It starts at 21/64 at the BH and tapers full length to the nock @ 5/16.  I just started making my woodies again and treasure them a little more than the carbon blem's and alum's!
PBS,KTBA,HCB,UBK

...  When thru the forest glades I wander and hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees, when I look down from lofty mountain grandeur and hear the brook and feel the gentle breeze, ...How great Thou art!

Online R. Combs

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2010, 02:17:00 PM »
I love the durability of the Hildebrands shafts. Once you straighten and seal the shafts, they stay straight. Everyone that I have made arrows for using Sitka Spruce really likes the toughness of them. Like I said, you can get them in a lot of different grain groups per spine group which is always nice. It just takes me a while to get them as straight as I want them, which is with no wobble at all. Darn, I have almost talked myself into sticking with Sitka Spruce. I don't think you can go wrong either way, both are good shafts,

Rick

Online R. Combs

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2010, 07:04:00 PM »
I just ordered some Surewood shafts. Two dozen for me and a dozen that I am going to make up for the St. Jude auction. Can't wait to get them. Thanks for all the input everyone.

Rick

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2010, 10:05:00 AM »
Originally posted by 3Under:

IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2010, 11:07:00 AM »
I've got 18 Surewoods on the way.  Thanks for the finishing tips.
"The overhead view is of me in a maze...you see what I'm hunting a few steps away."  Phish

Online R. Combs

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2010, 11:19:00 AM »
I got my shafts Saturday. Nice and straight just like everyone said. Great guys to deal with also. I will post some pictures when I get them done.

Rick

Offline Daddy Bear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2010, 01:25:00 PM »
For a softwood shaft, you'd probably find them durable as the Sitka Spruce.  If you go with Surewood, you'd probably find the quality of equal to Hildebrand but the weights will more than likely be heavier.

In a softwood, I think you'd find better quality in abundance over a larger spine range going either the Hildebrand or the Surewood route compared to currently available POC.  But, I'd neither expect Hildebrand nor Surewood softwood shafts to stand up to the same abuse as hardwood shafting.

Best:)

Online R. Combs

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2010, 08:24:00 AM »
I haven't fletched them up yet, but here are the Surewood shafts that I am making up for the St Jude auction. I put a 9" taper on the nock end and dipped them in white with a orange fade air brushed on top of the white. They are stained in dark walnut.

Rick

Online Pack

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2010, 10:02:00 AM »
I don't think you will shorten your straigtening time any by going with the fir over the spruce.  I have made quite a few dozen of both the Hildebrande spruce and Surewoods.  Both are very good shafts.  The fir is heavier and quite a bit more durable.  I stump shoot in an area that is very hard on shafts and the fir outlasts the spruce many times over espcially on repeated, hard, frontal impacts.  

Patrick

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©