3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hog Log?  (Read 231 times)

Offline bow loving man

• Trad Bowhunter
Hog Log?
« on: March 11, 2010, 10:25:00 PM »
I have relentlessly been chasing some hogs on this cattail lake bed over the last month...

I have had a couple of shots to no avail yet.  I found this today...Do you think they are using this as a rub post?

Also I have noticed they come from whichever direction the wind is blowing. They do not work up wind but down wind...I thought that was strange... but they are consistent...Does that mean they bed upwind from this lakebed?  CAn anyone shed some light on this concept?
I would love to hear your experience or thoughts thanks, Barry
"...on earth as it is in heaven..."

Offline Hot Hap

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hog Log?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 03:19:00 AM »
ttt

Offline hunt it

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 08:04:00 AM »
Put some corn up wind of where you want to shoot them. Won't take more than a day or two for them to find it. Keep it topped up and close to last light one evening go to it. They will smell that corn from hundreds of yards away.
hunt it

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2010, 08:59:00 AM »
A little corn to get them in the right place would be an easy fix.

Of course staying low and moving slow enough will get you close enough to them as well.Only move when there head is in the dirt or looking away.With a good wind you might be surprised how close you can get even in the open like they seem to be. jmo
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2010, 09:35:00 AM »
Make a little hand held "blind" out of the cattails and walk up to them. I did this in florida with palmettos and it worked for me. You can get away with this if they are really into rooting when you are sneaking up.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Offline Ray Hammond

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2010, 10:08:00 AM »
that piece of lumber just happened to be where they were rooting.. I suspect.

If you soak the corn in water before you spread it out it will give off much more smell, also.
“Courageous, untroubled, mocking and violent-that is what Wisdom wants us to be. Wisdom is a woman, and loves only a warrior.” - Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2010, 10:22:00 AM »
Agree the 2x4 was only in the way. Notice the darker unrubbed area to the right different from the lighter area they rubbed. If you can spot them, you're ahead of the curve. Corn works period. I prefer spot-n-stalk.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline acolobowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2010, 12:04:00 PM »
We have soaked corn (2 1/2 gallon ) in a 5 gallon bucket with milk.  Put the lid on and set in the sun a few days.  If you put to much corn in the bucket it will swell and push the lid off.  The riper the better.  Have also added about a pint of whiskey to really get it cookin'

Offline NorthernCaliforniaHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2010, 12:14:00 PM »
Moving downwind gives them the greatest advantage. They rely on ears and eyes for forward threats and the nose for the smell of threats coming from behind. Deer do this too.
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, it's melancholy, and its charm." Theodore Roosevelt

Find me at ShareTheBounty

Offline NorthernCaliforniaHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2010, 12:15:00 PM »
Moving downwind gives them the greatest advantage. They rely on ears and eyes for forward threats and the nose for the smell of threats coming from behind. Deer do this too.
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, it's melancholy, and its charm." Theodore Roosevelt

Find me at ShareTheBounty

Offline trashwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2010, 12:31:00 PM »
every time you are out pour a package of raspberry jello on the lumber and it will keep them interested.  in fact they will chew up the timber.

ya can do the same thing with a log/stump.

rusty

Offline highpoint forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2010, 06:36:00 PM »
Cement that sucker into the ground sticking up, and cover it with creosote. Sit back and watch, then shoot em. Better yet get a railroad tie with creosote all over it and bury it.
Black Widow PSAX Bocote 57# @28, 58 AMO
Black Widow PLX Tiger Myrtle 60# @28, 64 AMO
J.D. Berry Osage Argos 60# @28, 66 AMO

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2010, 07:08:00 PM »
Nice pics and good advice all around. Hog hunting tips are always good to read and very informational.

BLM, Nice bow! Cool looking wood.
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline bow loving man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2010, 09:51:00 PM »
Thanks guys! I have been out chasing them all day!  It was a weird wind today (NW)and the hogs came in south of the tree I had finally set up in.  I had soured corn in three spots 15-20 yards out of the tree and I had one log on the north with raspberry jelly mix on it and also on to the south...
As the sun was setting, a young hog made his way acrosse the lake and headed right to the corn pile right in front of me. He came on a straight line stopping twice to test the wind and then he dug in...For 10 minutes he dug, chewed, dug some more, ate and had himself a feast all the while keeping his head pointed straight at me...no shot opportunity at all...then something buggered him and he spun around and left on the same line he had come in on!  Oh well there will be another day and YES I did think about shooting him between the eyes! LOL  Thanks again for all the advice...This species is new to me and man is it fun!
"...on earth as it is in heaven..."

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2010, 10:34:00 PM »
Unless he is a really small hog, shooting between the eyes will not work. I have seen it done several times with every time a failure - hog runs off with unicorn ornament.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©