3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Refinishing old bear bow help  (Read 173 times)

Offline DGEsposito

• Trad Bowhunter
Refinishing old bear bow help
« on: March 12, 2010, 06:23:00 PM »
I have a super kodiak 50# that I would like to refinish or have refinished it is from the late 60's. It has small hair line cracks in the finish on both limbs about a foot from the handle.Any help Would be appreciated. I bought this bow new in '69 and have had it stored in the garage.I would like to shoot it again it has not been strung in over 20 years.I have flexed it over my knee and seems to be good but should I attempt to string it or just hang it on the wall?  :help:

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Refinishing old bear bow help
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 06:42:00 PM »
Those '69's are nice looking with phenolic and rosewood caps and just as good shooting.  If not exposed to excessive heat, it's probably as good as ever.  

Many of those bows developed stress lines/cracks and if they run vertically and not deep, will most likely string up and shoot just fine.

On the Trad History/Colleting Forum, you will find lots of info on refinishing and more feedback on your bow.

Use a stringer, b-50 string only, flex slowly a few times until you make full draw, and shoot arrows weighing more than 400 gr.

Let's see some pics, huh?
Lon Scott

Offline DGEsposito

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 06:46:00 PM »
Thank you for the info  the cracks run across the limb not vert. does that matter?

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2010, 07:01:00 PM »
They appear sometimes at the fade and are ok unless deep.  Can you catch a fingernail on them?  If so, maybe someone more knowledgeable than I can chime in.  If no responses, put this question over on the other forum I mentioned.  Bowdoc, Droptine, Bjorn and others can come up with the right answer for you.

I have a mid-70s Super K with the horizonal stress, but it's only shallow and shoots just fine.
Lon Scott

Online smokin joe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2010, 07:04:00 PM »
I have just refinished a Bear green stripe riser. I sanded off the old finish, and step-by-step worked all the way to 1000 grit paper. Then about 8 coats of TruOil finish. I wasn't sure how it would turn out when I started, but the results are stunning, truly beautiful.
You can do this refinish job. Just take your time and be careful. A refinished Super K from the late 60s will be a great bow. Good luck.
TGMM
Compton
PBS
Trad Gang Hall of Fame

Offline DGEsposito

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2010, 07:44:00 PM »
The small hair line cracks are very fine and I cannot catch a finger nail in them.I would like to shoot this bow and hunt with it I shot my first two deer w/this bow. I would like to shoot another with it. My draw length is 29.5 and this makes me hessitant in stringing it up.I would not want to break a limb.  I am the orignal owner!Again Thank You

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©