3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Walk on the Water  (Read 598 times)

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Walk on the Water
« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2010, 01:21:00 AM »
Jerry, it was before I started making shafts and Dan had fixed me up with some cedars for my Bamboo Longhunter. Stinson was cooking burgers for the crowd under the shelter, and saw me about to glue on some more points after I had lost some in the targets. He took me under his wing, and put my points on the grill, right by the burgers! He told me to get a cup of cold water, and showed me how to put the hot-melt on and seat the points using pliers first and them pushing them straight in against one of the poles, and then cooling them quickly in the water as soon as they set enough to stay in place. I've never had another problem with points coming off since.

A hunt sounds good to me, as long as it's not after them cottonmouths!
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline jbuck9

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2010, 08:15:00 AM »
Wow great story, and yes those cotton mouths will make you walk on water, been there done that in Texas, must say your story was intense.

Offline jerry hill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2010, 08:58:00 AM »
Don, Thats exactly the way we have always done it. Some of the best glue I ever used was the glue used in the manufacture of hearing aid batteries. Had a ball of it, and used it for years, putting on points and inserts in aluminum arrows. You could hold an insert with a pair of nock set pliers and get it hot over a butane torch and once it was hot enough to melt the glue I would heat the end of the shaft only a little, not wanting to take the temper out, and sock the insert into place and then take a rag and wipe off the excess glue while it was still hot, then dump the shaft end into cold water. This would lock everything together. Never did have an insert pull out or point pull off.Just wanted to hear the story from you.Jerry Hill.........

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©