3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Point Glue  (Read 283 times)

Offline basket-rack'89

• Trad Bowhunter
Point Glue
« on: March 13, 2010, 12:29:00 AM »
I've recently had the problem of having field points pop off while pulling arrows from targets.  I use ferrllite, but I got a little impatient and ran the hot points under water to speed the cooling process.  Tried letting the points air cool and haven't had the problem again.  I'm curious if it is the properties of the glue cause this or I just did a better job this time?  Maybe the instructions say to air dry, but I lost them a long time ago.  

Thanks

Offline Brently

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Point Glue
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2010, 01:41:00 AM »
I am assuming that you are using wood shafts, if so here are the instructions.  "Heat Ferr-L-Tite over a flame allowing cement to drop onto portion of shaft which fits into the ferrule, point or broadhead.  Heat the metal until hot enough to  melt the Ferr-L-Tite.  Push ferrule or point onto shaft.  Using a cold, wet cloth hold in place until secure.  The bond is complete when thoroughly cool."  Hope this helps.

Offline Brently

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2010, 01:42:00 AM »
I am assuming that you are using wood shafts, if so here are the instructions.  "Heat Ferr-L-Tite over a flame allowing cement to drop onto portion of shaft which fits into the ferrule, point or broadhead.  Heat the metal until hot enough to  melt the Ferr-L-Tite.  Push ferrule or point onto shaft.  Using a cold, wet cloth hold in place until secure.  The bond is complete when thoroughly cool."  Hope this helps.

Offline freefeet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2010, 04:48:00 AM »
As we used to say in the army... "Preparation and planning prevents a piss poor performance"...

Score inside of field points with little dremmel grinder bit.  Clean out with meths on cotton bud until clean.  Score the taper "lightly" cross ways with needle file.  Apply hot melt to taper and shove on point as hard as you can.
Shoes are a tax on walking...

...free your feet, your mind will follow!

Offline luvnlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2010, 11:58:00 AM »
I use Ferr-L-Tite as well for point installation on wood shafts and for inserts on Aluminum. I don't score the points but I do clean with Acetone very well with a Q-Tip. I also rotate the shaft while applying the point to ensure good coverage of the adhesive. I hold the point for a short time to allow the adhesive to start to set then dip into water to cool. The times that I have lost a tip were do to too little adhesive or not cleaning the tip very well.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2010, 02:19:00 PM »
Anyone try commercial glue gun sticks?
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline Smallwood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2010, 03:01:00 PM »
gorilla glue for carbon, and archery hot melt for aluminum/wood arrows.

Offline lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2010, 03:09:00 PM »
I use white ferrel cement and heat up the end of the stick and put it on the end of the taper.Then heat up the head and put it on the taper and spin the arrow in the head(hold head with pliers and spin the shaft and let cool)this spreads the glue evenly and I have head the heads hit plywood and never come off when I pull them off.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2010, 04:50:00 PM »
I use the duel-temp glue sticks for my points on woodies.

Offline rickshot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2010, 05:10:00 PM »
Always used the Ferr-L-Tite with wood and aluminum. With aluminum it has been virtually trouble free and, as always, been a real plus for tweaking broadheads. With wood I heat the Ferr-L-Tite and rotate the taper in it, then warm the point, and then reheat the glue…I do not bring a cold part into the equation. The only “problem” I ever have is that the points might start coming off wood shafts a couple of years later, which is why I always give last year’s broadheads a firm twist before putting them in my quiver. As soon as one or two fail I’ll redo them all. Enjoy, Rick.

Online LookMomNoSights

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2010, 05:13:00 PM »
Ive built 5 dozen arrows since Sept 09,  for my own use.  All POC shafts.  For target and hunting.  Ive been using these out of 2 different recurves....45# @ 28" and 60# @ 28".  I used Duco cement for EVERYTHING on ALL these arrows!  Those alot more seasoned than I may call me crazy?  I dont know,  please do if that is the case.  Anyway,  aside from the coaxing straight of certain shafts and such,  these suckers amaze me with how good they cruise to the target! And I dont lose points!  Some of these have been shot so many times,  the fletches are like silk and shafts octagonal from slams and smears when grouping! (I shoot all year across the house!)  Cut your taper,  good!  Put your field point on,  spin it on a cheap $1 plastic cutting board.  When it spins true,  take a fine point sharpie and make a micro dot on the base of the point and the shaft.  Remove unglued point.  Cover the taper with Duco cement,  then put that point back on,  alligning the 2 dots.  Press pretty hard into that cutting board and wipe any slack glue clean with a paper towel.  Works great for me!

Online LookMomNoSights

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2010, 05:17:00 PM »
Forgot to mention....removal is also a breeze.  A little heat,  glue loosens and is workable to spin for tuning, removal, whatever.

Offline Jake Fr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2010, 10:18:00 PM »
the kimsha stick from 3rivers is the best a round i think i used to have the same problems with ferral tite and have had no problems with the new kimsha stick it works so much better

Offline Soilarch

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2010, 10:29:00 PM »
I've never used the glue that's actually marketed for points and such.

I have used "normal" superglue=WASTE
            "Gel"    superglue=WASTE
        5-min and 60-sec epoxy=Great!
Micah 6:8

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2010, 11:06:00 PM »
I like the Kimsha Stick hot melt, too.  If I know the points aren't going to be changed, I'll use epoxy.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Paul Mattson

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2010, 09:34:00 AM »
I used epoxy, now switched to J-B weld.  Both are heat reversable. And, the J-B weld is tough as nails.

Offline tradhunter1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2010, 10:26:00 AM »
I use the cheap hot melt on my target heads, because I change them out more often for blunts to go small game hunting or stumping, and have only lost them when I didn't clean the oil from the head before applying to shaft.

I use ferril tight on my braod heads because I noticed that it took more heat to loosen the glue than it seems to on the hot melt and I sometimes hunt in extremely warm weather and the broad heads are more expensive than targets or blunts and so is the ferril tight.

Offline JEJ

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2010, 01:46:00 PM »
Anyone have any good/bad experience with gorilla glue to put on field points to shoot into 3D targets? The kind of gorilla glue where you  would apply water to wood shaft to dampen, then put glue on wood and press on point. I don't want the points pulling off during a 3D shoot. Does J-B weld have to be "mixed" like epoxy? thanks

:help:

Offline Encino Man

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2010, 04:17:00 PM »
I've used nothing but Ferr-L-Tite in the wood shafts. The only issue I've ever had was on a new set of field tips that I didn't clean out with acetone before using. The low melting point means you don't have to over heat your broadheads.
Fox Archery "Red Fox"
53# @ 28" 64" longbow
Browning "Safari II"
44# @ 28" 60" Recurve

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©