3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Considering giving up  (Read 1316 times)

Offline 8up

• Trad Bowhunter
Considering giving up
« on: April 24, 2007, 07:05:00 PM »
I am considering giving up and selling all my gear. I have shot at least 5 days a week for 3 1/2 months. Some days I shoot well and other days I shoot terrible. Some days I start off bad and get better just as I'm too tired to shoot anymore.

My middle finger on my left hand has been partially numb for a month. I have tried a bigshot glove, a black widow tab and am now using a glove with double leather on that finger. My right shoulder hurts as well.

I have Bi-polar and when I shoot bad it just depresses me more. I hate to give up before reaching my goal of taking a whitetail with a recurve but I can't afford to spend any money on lessons either.

I will admit I don't have the heart and determination I see in a lot of the great people on this board. I started this journey with the intention of getting accurate enough to kill a whitetail. Once I had taken one I figured I would go back to a compound for the extended range that I can be accurate.

Is there shame in admitting defeat?
If God is your Co-pilot, change seats.

Offline Jason in Bama

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Considering giving up
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2007, 07:19:00 PM »
No shame in admitting defeat, but I encourage you not to give up yet. What's your draw weight? Sometimes going down in draw weight can improve your accuracy dramaticaly, not to mention making it easier on your shoulder. On days I shoot bad, or my concentration is not good, I either just put it up or shoot short distances(8 yards or less) and work on form and making sure I am getting to full draw. Also I come to relize shooting more arrows is not always better. Shooting 10 or 12 arrows with good form and under control, for me, is alot more productive, not only for my form but for my mental confidance as well. This is just stuff that works for me and may not help you any, hopefully it does. There are alot of guys here that can give better advice, just my 2 cents. There is light at the end of the tunnel, I promise.
Your sole purpose in life may be to serve as a warning to others.
The journey is the destination.

Offline Dano

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2007, 07:21:00 PM »
Your not defeated, just come back to it when you have your heart is in it.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy" Red Green

Offline Raineman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2007, 07:26:00 PM »
My advice would be to stop shooting so much. Go to a lower weight bow when you do shoot. And find a new way to get accurate. Make it fun. Shoot at different stuff. Concentrate on finding new things to shoot (within reason) and quit focusing on accuracy.

Don't sell your goodies right away, speaking from experience you will regret it. No shame in admitting defeat, just don't admit it too soon.

Nothing that is worth having comes easy. But if there is no "zen" in it, it might not be for you. If there is "zen" in wheelies for you, then this should be an easy decision.

Offline insttech1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2007, 07:28:00 PM »
It's not defeat bro...

My wife has bp--clinical level--so I can relate and sympathize.

You're shooting too much.
It shouldn't just be about becoming "proficient", at least not for some of us.
It's about "me time", relaxation, enjoyment, and overall personal "wellness".

If things are really "bad" for me, I can't shoot worth a darn either...and with bp, you know what a downward spiral is!

So don't give it up!  But do back off a bit...grab that bow maybe twice a week and shoot three or four arrows at about 15 yards, two or three times, and then STOP!  

Good bad or decent shooting, don't get overly frustrated with it, don't dwell on it, and don't let it get ya down!

Or you can even try and make it fun...throw an old ball around the yard and poke a judo or two at it...or a piece of fruit, etc....

That should also give your finger time to heal; if not, it will only get worse from the repeated shooting stress...

So slow down, or take a break, but don't give up...

PM me if need be...

Take Care,
Marc
"When you catch Hell--DROP IT!!  When you're going thru Hell--DON'T STOP!!"

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2007, 07:31:00 PM »
It would be a SHAME to see you quit. We all have bad days, don't let anyone fool you.

Have you tried to just keep it fun, to enjoy, no pressure to shoot the so called paper plate 10 times out of 10, or 9, or 8.

You say your finger and shoulder bothers you, maybe a lighter bow for a while would help, just to enjoy.

Hope you reconcider and stay with it, but what ever you decide no one will think you a quitter and don't ever feel a shamed. Good luck. Alan

Offline Ray Johnson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2007, 07:35:00 PM »
I dropped down to 40# and it literally transformed my shooting.If you are snapshooting,get a lighter weight bow and work on holding at anchor before release.I always had a target panic problem and just overall bad form but I finally swallowed my pride,dropped to 40# and now I'm shooting better than ever.Hang in there.I've been there.I tried everything imagineable to help my shooting and I shot alot,almost every day.I sent Viper a pic of my form and he said it was terrible.He said there was no way to prevent collapse with the way I had a hunched up draw shoulder.He was right.I always collapsed,unless I snapshot.His honest words were the best thing that ever happened for my shooting.I immediately dropped down in weight and began the transformation.I started over really and in short order,I'm now on the right track.Send a pic to someone who knows how to help and describe your shooting style,draw weight etc... and see if they can help.There is alot of help to be found on these forums.
                                        RayJ

Offline BRITTMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2007, 07:41:00 PM »
8up,
I know what you mean about bad shooting getting you down . You spend alot of money and time trying to shoot trad. gear and you dont feel like your good enough to be trying to hunt with it so lets take the approach I have am trying . I shoot Trad. because its fun and challening but I will not draw back on any animal unless I think Im able to take it cleanly. What I do is pratice up close 10 to 20 yards and that is the range I will hunt at . I like a Deer to be about 15 yards from me and I wait for the right shot then I take it . I have killed 2 deer and a fox all at around 10 to 15 yards so Im happy with that . When I feel as though I have  10 to 20 yards down I will take a Stept or two back . Git back up close 10 yards and pratice untill you have it then take a step or two back and so on. If you do not feel like you can take a deer at that range hunt with your compound but Im telling you from experance dont get rid of your recurve because you will want another. They are just to dang fun to put down. Wait till you try a longbow you will be in trouble !

Good luck,
Mike Britt
" Live long and prosper "

Offline One eye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2007, 07:55:00 PM »
If it isn't fun, you need to change what your doing or how you are doing it.  There is already plenty of stress in our lives with work, family, etc.  Do not allow the stress to ruin your recreation.

Dan
“IMVHO, the cast is not in the wood it is cradled in the arms of the bowyer.” – George Tsoukalas

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2007, 08:03:00 PM »
Yep sounds like your beatin' yourself up too much over something I consider "my therapy".Shooting my longbow is something I enjoy doing and I too do it almost every day.Are you overbowed?Is your bow in fact too heavy for you?  Like Raineman said try a lower weight bow and see what happens. I used to shoot an 85# compound and when I realized I didn't need the heavy poundage I dropped to a 75# compound.I now shoot around 50 to 55# longbows  bows.Start at the beginning; is your bow tuned properly?Is your nock point correct? Are you shooting the correct arrows?When you are shooting do you concentrate on a spot, draw, anchor, [always to the SAME spot], and make a quick clean release? If you answered yes then are you in fact picking a spot on the target a small spot or shooting at the whole target?When I go out back to shoot there is nothing else on my mind except hitting that target where I want to hit.Get closer to the target start at 5 or 10 yards. Don't shoot 100 arrows start out with a dozen and stop.Quality shots not quantity. Make it fun! Keep it fun and if it still doesn't happen for you give it rest. We will always be here for you.

Offline Danny Roberts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2007, 08:03:00 PM »
Good luck with the compound hunting.

Offline crashcastle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2007, 08:13:00 PM »
above all keep it fun dont set your expectations on hitting the center of the bull every shot your not shooting a wheelie bow any more i gave up to then a now good friend took me out with blunts and golf balls and said shoot em after about five arrows i was in thwe zone i never hit one but had it been a squirell id have been cleaning for hours .. pounding a bale target for hours does nothing for you but piss you off trst me i still cant practice that way ill get more angry with every freaking shoot almost broke my bow over my knee on a couple of occasions give it one more month taking all of these guys advice and i bet you dont wanna quit any more
Please god let me live just more day in the woods.

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2007, 08:14:00 PM »
Why is your range better with your compound?Is it the sights or because you are holding less weight at full draw.Drop bow weight to help one and put a pin on your bow to help the other.No law against either and if they will help you get through the slump I would give it a try.My guess is you are over doing it and you need to learn an aiming method that works better than what you are trying now. jmo
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline TENBEARS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2007, 08:14:00 PM »
I've got boxes of broken arrows from many bad days.I can also tell ya just as many boxes are from the wheel bows. Don't give up maybe take a break read and read again what these fellow freinds have to say they know what there talkin about!  :archer:
keep the sun to your back and the wind in your face.

Offline jacobsladder

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2007, 08:14:00 PM »
Go hunting ... take only 5 yard shots... get in the woods.. watch the wild life... watch the chipmunks pack there jaws.. watch the squirrels chase each other in the trees, watch a doe teach her yearling how to play it safe, watch a coon waddle thru the swamp.... see how close you can get to a whitetail or turkey on the ground.. then take a well planned broadside shot at the vitals... If you miss.. oh well ..then try again next time..concentrate on a small spot... everyone has there good days and bad days of shooting... If it was all about killing something I take a tack driver with a scope and hunt from my kitchen window..... keep it simple and enjoy nature...
TGMM Family of the Bow

"There's a race of men that dont fit in, A race that can't stay still; So they break the hearts of kith and kin, And they roam the world at will"  Robert Service

Offline Greyfox54

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2007, 08:26:00 PM »
8up , The hardest judge we usually face is ourselves . life is too short to beat yourself up about things , as most here have said relax and shoot only for fun  and relaxation ,  without the stress of being a great shot as most of us here are not , Fred
Greyfox54

Offline JL

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2007, 08:40:00 PM »
Sounds like your looking for an out, in my opinion. The good stuff in life requires more effort, always does. 3.5 months is kinda a short time to start guaging yourself. Numb fingers, tiring out and sore shoulder sound like you may have too much bow to be starting off with. Get yourself a good 45 lbs bow and see if your form starts to come together. If your shooting instintivly, it's going to take time for your form to gel, hoss. I have been shooting since I was a kid and I too have bad days, everyone does. Clear your mind of everything but the spot your going to drill. Pay attention to whats going on on release. Dropping bow hand? Hooking too deep with glove hand? Any other movement on release? Don't move until the arrow impacts the target. Pay attention to your follow thru.

If your getting burnt out, take a break and go play some pool (also good for eye/hand cordination) and relax. You need to honestly pick your shooting apart to find out what's happening.

JL
Practice like you are the worst, shoot like you are the best...

Offline ONE SHOT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2007, 08:52:00 PM »
If you know someone who has a Video camera, have them take photos of you while shooting, any errors will be evident very quickly to you. Have them take side shots, from both sides, and from behind you off too your shoulder so as to be able to see the arrow ,your grip and position of your elbow and bow hand. The position of your head in relation to your anchor point.

Take note of when you make a good shot and also when you make bad shots, and practice on repeating what you had done on the good shots. Post and let Me know if the suggestions helped....ONE SHOT...  :)    :)    :D    :D

Offline TSHOOTER

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2007, 09:19:00 PM »
No expert here but as others have said make sure your bow/arrow combo is tuned well.  I finally got the right spine arrows for my bow after a year of frustration and it shot much better.  Then went to an elevated rest and shot even better still and felt much more confident.  I still don't shoot like a lot of folks on here but I sure shoot a lot better than I did.  Keep trying.  One arrow at a time.  Tennis balls and judo points when you get tired of shooting targets.  Make it fun and take 1 shot at a time.  Did I mention 1 shot at a time!
He who has the Son has life; he who does not have the Son does not have life.  (1 John 5:12)

PBS
TGMM Family of the Bow
P&Y
Comptons

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2007, 09:23:00 PM »
I think you forgot the first rule. Just have fun the rest will come with time.
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©