3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Tips on Selling a Bow, Payment Options?  (Read 591 times)

Offline Seeking Trad Deer

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Tips on Selling a Bow, Payment Options?
« on: April 24, 2007, 10:55:00 PM »
I have agreed to terms to sell one of my bows to someone from a distant state.  I am not sure how to handle the payment.  Send the bow and hope I get payment?  Ask for payment then send the bow?  Or is there some way to use Pay Pal, etc.  Anyone who has ever sold a bow or something to a stranger far away and can give advice it would be appreciated.  Feel free to PM me as well.
The Lord is my Shepherd

Offline thetroutguy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Tips on Selling a Bow, Payment Options?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2007, 11:01:00 PM »
Usually they send payment and then you send the bow. Paypal is a good way to accept payment (assuming you both have an account) because it is instantaneous.  I usually add a few bucks to cover the fees associated with paypal.
***TGMM Family of the Bow***

Offline cajunbowhntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2007, 11:05:00 PM »
The accepted practice is for the buyer to send the money(postal mo is preffered by some for their protection).When payment is recieved the bow is shipped.I have shipped a bow to a fellow trad ganger before payment was recieved.But only because I knew he had a good reputation in dealing.I have bought and sold a lot of stuff and never(knock on wood)had any problems.You can get a phone number and contact the individual and talk over the details.

CB
"Forget your lust for the rich mans gold all that you need is in your soul...Find a woman and you'll find love and don't forget son,there is someone up above...Ronnie Van Zant "simple man"

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2007, 11:09:00 PM »
It really is a case by case thing.  Try to learn a little about the person if you can.  A search on their handle will give you an idea of how long they have been around and how often they post.  Sometimes I've asked if they have dealt with or know someone else around here - kind of a reference check.  Use Google or Anywho to verify phone numbers and addresses if possible.  
Remember that the buyer is probably wondering the same thing about you.  Most times it comes down to a matter of trust, and thankfully the vast mojority of people around here can be trusted beyond reproach.
Paypal is a fairly safe option, but of course there are seller fees to use it. And the buyer still needs to trust you.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2007, 11:12:00 PM »
hey i trade bows on a regular basis and have no problem with any body on here at all after all this is one big family   :campfire:   i have also sold a bow on here no problem it is all about trust if you dont trust then get the money first . good luck on that and as you can see you cant get any further away than me LOL!!!!  :biglaugh:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline dachba

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2007, 11:46:00 PM »
One of you has to trust the other BUT, in transactions where money is paid for a bow, get the money first then ship the bow unless you know the person.  Trades are different.  Both of you should ship at the same time.  I've done it both ways on Tradgang; sent money via Postal MO and then received the bow, and traded a bunch of arrows for a bow.  Both transactions went without a hitch.

**** is different.  The buyer understands they have to pay before shipment.

Dave in Ft. Collins, CO
Dave from North Bend, Oregon

Offline 702plmo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2007, 11:50:00 PM »
I really like to use paypal when I can.   It is simple to use and there is some security.   If a problem arises you can work with paypal and they will help you.
No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
Thomas Jefferson
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Woodduck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2007, 12:19:00 AM »
I've never sold one, but bought a few
I always sent whatever funds the seller wanted and then they send the bow.
It does make you feel like they should send the bow at the same time. They don't want to send the bow 'till they get the money and the trust is all on the buyer...so...know the seller.

I've had a couple of sellers ship it out early; and that makes you feel good.

When I trade we both agreed to ship out as soon as we could.(today or tomorrow)

I've never had a problem, here.
Happy trails....   ('till we meet again, Dale Evans Rogers)
>>>--a kindred spirit--->     (got that from Fred Anderson)

North Carolina Bowhunters Association

Offline insttech1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2007, 12:27:00 PM »
Paypal will take a 3% fee from the purchase price.

So you can eat it, or add it to your selling price.

It is customary for buyer to pay first, then you ship.

It is best to let buyer know when payment is received, how the bow is being shipped (I suggest USPS priority, and add insurance), and an estimated day of arrival.

That should cost you about $15 to ship a takedown, and more for a one-piece--maybe $25.

I have had MANY transactions here, and all were essentially flawless!!

And I will ship before payment for someone that I get a "good feel for", have dealt with before, or see as one of the "regulars" here on the 'gang...

Take Care,
Marc
"When you catch Hell--DROP IT!!  When you're going thru Hell--DON'T STOP!!"

Offline Bjorn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2007, 12:58:00 PM »
Like others have said, get the payment first if you are selling, and if it is a check make sure it clears! If you are buying, only deal with folks you know or can verify some credentials, look for their activity on the site-do some basic homework; like do a White Pages search for address and phone number before just sending a payment to the address the guy gave you. Look at his other transactions on other boards and that auction site-they will often use the same or similar handle. I second using PayPal-they have already done a check on information. I have only ever had one real lousy transaction and that includes more than a few on these boards and well over 500 on that auction site.

Offline sswv

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2007, 12:59:00 PM »
if I've never dealt with the person before I prefer payment before I ship. if I've had dealing with them I have no problem sending the item right out. I prefer to send and receive money orders when pay-pal is not an option however, a personal check from someone I've dealt with before is not a problem. Insurance is a very good idea along with delivery confirmation. if you feel uneasy then always get a phone number and an e-mail address so you can always stay in contact. and' I highly recommend using the USPS when possible.   "just my .02cents"

Offline BobCo 1965

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2007, 02:01:00 PM »
If I buy something here and want to pay by check (I usually do), I fully expect the individual to cash it before sending something off to me. Often times that is not the case though and someone will send it before even receiving the check. There is always the chance for a bad deal though. So be careful.

Offline FOX SQUIRREL NUTS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2007, 02:12:00 PM »
I would ask them what they expect.  I got ripped by someone on here because I didn't send the item the same time they sent the money( by mail).  leaves a sour taste.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©