3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Outback scouting and a walk-a-bout.....  (Read 710 times)

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
Outback scouting and a walk-a-bout.....
« on: March 15, 2010, 07:19:00 AM »
G'day all here on TradGang,

Well as we all know full well, the soul needs time to recharge. It has to be full in order for us to travel through our lives full of contentment, happiness and a regard for what lays ahead.

I've recently returned home from working away the last 3 years as a security contractor, starting off in the mean streets of Iraq, then moving over to the 'Rock Garden' -aka- Afghanistan.

I returned home to be with my family, thanking God at times, that what he lead me to... he lead me through. Working away a lot, one always reflects on his home life, family and what means the most to him. My piroties have always been my family, a stable career and naturally.... hunting, with stickbow in hand.

But, I felt lost upon returning home to 'civi life' and at times just need some breathing space. A place to sit, think, walk the bush and to ponder just what a man is to do now he has laid his weapons to rest for the final time.

So, with a very loving and understanding wife, I was set free to do just that, head out for the weekend scouting for some deer that I knew maybe in the area and to fill up again. Due to having rotar cuff problems I elected to leave my bow at home... and I can tell you it felt very strange being in the bush without my Blackwidow longbow in hand. Some stumps sure needed dusting!

My wife and daughter dropped me off along a creek I planned to scout along and first off I noticed these fellas.

Their the shells of circardas and are rough to touch. As you can see, the creek was rather full due to recent rains...

Naturally with all this rain ones boots became rather soaked and loaded with sandy soil.

So with that, it was snack time and to get my bearings set for the weekend and a game plan as such. I was scouting for Rusa deer and I know they are in the area as my mate shot a nice stag last year in the same location.

...more to come.

ak.
"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever Seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." Socrates.

Offline Chris Surtees

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Outback scouting and a walk-a-bout.....
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2010, 07:29:00 AM »
:campfire:     :coffee:

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2010, 07:31:00 AM »
Hang in there bud, thing will sort their way out for you. A good walk always helps    :campfire:
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2010, 07:42:00 AM »
With all the rain about the local wild flowers were in full rut too...

But all along I made sure I kept an eye out for the signs of deer feeding up on the fresh green pick.

More to come people...

ak.
"No citizen has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever Seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable." Socrates.

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2010, 07:54:00 AM »
Looking forward to the rest Al. Always enjoy an adventure.    :archer:
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2010, 08:25:00 AM »
Great Al. Glad you're safe at home with your family.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2010, 08:45:00 AM »
Your walk abouts are always a treat for us all Al.  Can't wait to see the rest of your discoveries.  

Glad to hear that you have finished up your work in the rock garden and can finally settle back in to a less stressful time in your life.

Now to just get that shoulder rehabed and back to shooting again!
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline J. Adams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2010, 09:29:00 AM »
Al,
I'm glad that your trail has lead you home and that God has brought a warrior home safely to his family.
Stay safe and we all look forward to seeing you get that Widow back into your hands.
Josh
TGMM Family of the Bow

"The bravest are surely those who have the clearest vision of what is before them, glory and danger alike, and yet notwithstanding, go out to meet it." - Thucydides

Offline DHR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2010, 09:38:00 AM »
Wow cool pics, thanks for putting them up.  What are those big trees you're leaning up against in the last photo?

Glad you're safe and back with you're family.

Dan
Because hunting is a deep and permanent yearning in the human condition, there is a chronic fury in all people to whom it is denied.- Jose Ortega y Gasset

Offline HOWITZER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2010, 10:09:00 AM »
Some fantastic pictures, thanks for sharing, it's always nice to return home!
"Though I'm closer to wrong
I'm no further from right"

Offline hayslope

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2010, 10:47:00 AM »
Nothin like reseting your "clock".  :campfire:  

Glad you made it back safely.
TGMM Family of the Bow
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

“Only after the last tree has been cut down…the last river has been poisoned…the last fish caught, only then will you find that money cannot be eaten." - Cree Indian Prophesy

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2010, 10:49:00 AM »
Looks like good times.   How was the heat.  It looks to be a nice temperature for your walkabout.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline Jerry Wald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2010, 12:49:00 PM »
We are perched waiting for more when you get time...relax and enjoy the time you have been given.

JB

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2010, 04:33:00 PM »
Al, my brother is back in the Rock Garden for another 6 months...I am gonna send him this thread so that he sees even warriors need to stop, relax, and smell the roses. Enjoy your time off my friend.
Mike Davenport

Offline sou-pawbowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2010, 04:47:00 PM »
Glad you're home safe and getting your batteries recharged. Looking forward to seeing more of your walkabout.
Molon labe

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2010, 04:54:00 PM »
Mate, I hope you're well soon so that you can carry that longstick around! We might be finally able to line some trips up.
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2010, 04:59:00 PM »
I love Australian stories.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline Al Kidner

• Trad Bowhunter
    • Pathfinder Outdoors
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2010, 05:08:00 PM »
After a few hours of walking and glassing I set up camp along a creek bed. Plenty of tree cover, soft sand and the sounds of running water. The trees in the pics are call Gum trees and are a type euclypt and are very hard timber.

I set my old army hammock, my old army shelter (hootchie) and colected fire wood for the evening. I then sat back made my self a expresso from a small coffee maker the John the MO Sherpa Berger's son Jacob bought me when I was in CO hunting Elk last season.

I had this little fella stay for a while, telling me all about 'his' tree.

He sure gave me the eye!

And the expresso maker. Thanks Jacob!

And me awaiting for the boil...

Expresso anyone?

A few more to follow...

ak.

Offline Missouri Sherpa

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2010, 05:49:00 PM »
Al,

Its good to see and hear from you my friend.  The only thing you seem to be missing is a wee bit of the Maker's Mark or Glenfiddich.  Enjoy the coffee and take time to smell the flowers about you.  We will be thinking of you in elk camp this fall.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2010, 05:53:00 PM »
Great Pictures Al!

Thanks for Sharing!
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©