3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: internal footings using 20d nail  (Read 322 times)

Offline Granite Mtn

• Trad Bowhunter
internal footings using 20d nail
« on: March 15, 2010, 02:18:00 PM »
Had my friend Rich make a jig to drill out the center of the shaft so I could epoxy a section of nail to increase % of foc and make the shaft unbreakable behind the broadhead.  It works great, by adding 2 and 1/4 in section of nail I have added 90 grains.  Pictures and % foc to follow when I have time to download pics.

Offline Butch Speer

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: internal footings using 20d nail
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2010, 03:33:00 PM »
Would like to see it.
God Bless

Butch the Yard Gnome

67 Bear Kodiak Hunter 58" 48@28
73 Bear Grizzly 58" 47@ 28
74 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45@28
Shakespeare Necedah 58" 45@28

Nothing is ever lost by courtesy. It is the cheapest of pleasures, costs nothing, and conveys much.
- Erastus Wiman

Offline Jack Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2010, 04:00:00 PM »
Have been trying the same thing with 2in of 3/16 brass into poplar shafts. Adding 100gr up front. Havent measured FOC but it is obvious it has increased. I dont find that it increases strength at all but it could be the poplar shafts are not very durable compared to say ash shafts I have found to be very durable. It could also be the 3/16 size of my brass as well. Three of the dozen I made have already broken behind the head on hits that didnt always result in a broken ash shaft (ash having no brass insert).

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2010, 04:25:00 PM »
I've been doing the same thing with 1/8" lead wire @ 35 gr/in.  I find a 2" hole to be pretty easy and 3" to be my practical limit.  GM, what size nail are you using?

Jack, nothing is going to be as tough as ash.  Poplar shoots much nicer tho, and with the extra weight up front should shoot even better.  I thought about trying 3/16, but that doesn't leave much wood and I find 70 grains ups my total arrow weight and FOC quite nicely.  If I want more, I just go to a heavier head.

I killed a 125 lb dressed boar pig a few weeks ago with a Sitka Spruce arrow.  It had 1.5" of lead for 50 grains plus a 190 gr VPA Terminator for a total arrow weight of 620 gr and an FOC of 20.6%.  Hit it at the last rib and the arrow stopped in the opposite foreleg, pinwheeling the heart on the way thru.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline Guru

• Trad Bowhunter
Curt } >>--->   

"I love you Daddy".......My son Cade while stump shooting  3/19/06

Offline Jesse Peltan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2010, 04:41:00 PM »
I had the same Idea but haven't tried it yet.  The tapered end on the nail would help keep it from breaking at the insert.  You could even put it on a grinder and do even more.  It would make your arrows "tough as nails"

Offline Jack Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2010, 05:36:00 PM »
Fletcher
Yes I was going for 300 grains total up front, 190 point/broadhead then 100 gr brass. My poplar shafts were coming in at around 550 I wanted 650. So I was adding the brass. I believe it may be the 3/16 dia hole. I may foot the shafts first then only add 50 grains  or so could get away with smaller dia brass rod then or a nail.

Its a lot of work though considering my plain ash shafts are almost indestructable.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2010, 06:02:00 PM »
the internal footing/weight jig originally came through braveheart archery, now sold by 3 rivers.  works great!  if you don't want to add front end weight, you can stiffen up the front end for behind-the-head breakage protection by gluing in 1/8" hardwood dowel, bamboo, or (my new fave) 1/8" carbon fiber rod.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Granite Mtn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2010, 12:59:00 AM »
I did 4 doz. today 1 poplar, 1 tamarac, 1 cedar, and 1 cherry, putting finnish on right now.  Can't wait to see how they shoot. Will post pics tomorrow.

Offline Bowferd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2010, 01:15:00 AM »
I've been doing the same on my cane shafts for the past 6 months with very good results.
 Don't need the tapering jig as the bit will follow the path of least resistance.
1/8" nail generally adds 90 to 100 grains.
 The nice thing is that if you group your shafts to within 10-20 gr, you can actually end up with perfectly weighted shafts by playing with the nail. And it won't effect the FOC by a large enough % to tell the difference.
Been There, Done That, Still Plowin.
Cane and Magnolia tend to make good arrow.
Hike naked in the backwoods.

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2010, 02:54:00 PM »
Do you match your foot to the shaft with a blunt connection (+nail) plus glue, or, do you taper the foot & counter taper the shaft first?
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline martin guy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2010, 02:39:00 AM »

Offline martin guy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2010, 02:40:00 AM »
Kustom King and Lost Nation will also be carrying the EFOC Jig soon.
Wilderness Dreams will be carrying them as well.

Andy

Offline Granite Mtn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2010, 09:23:00 AM »

Offline Granite Mtn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2010, 09:40:00 AM »
I have been going back and forth from photobuket to tradgang for over an hour trying to resize these %^#$# pictures to post I edit in photobuket resize then replace the original then copy the url code paste it here and the picture shows up large.  What am I doing wrong, this is almost to much of a pain to post a pic here.

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2010, 09:42:00 AM »
Originally posted by Granite Mtn:
I have been going back and forth from photobuket to tradgang for over an hour trying to resize these %^#$# pictures to post I edit in photobuket resize then replace the original then copy the url code paste it here and the picture shows up large.  What am I doing wrong, this is almost to much of a pain to post a pic here.
read the tutorial on resizing photobucket images ...

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=5;t=028257
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Granite Mtn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2010, 09:49:00 AM »

Offline Granite Mtn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2010, 10:08:00 AM »
I think I figured this out but very cumbersome to post pics here.  I finally got a couple minutes to set down to post, so here are the stats.  The % of foc is between 14 and 15 %.  I took the arrows out for a little stump shooting yesterday and can tell a big diff in arrow flight and  penetration over similar 610 grain maple arrows I was shooting as a control group.  Had to use a hatchet to remove poplar arrows several times out of stumps the maple shafts bounced off of or hardly penetrated.  I did brake one of the poplar shafts right behind the footing on a glancing shot so more testing is required to get a better feel for durability.  I will be shooting some doug fir at moses lake next month that will really test the durability of the internal footing shaft conection.

Offline Granite Mtn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2010, 10:11:00 AM »
Thanks Rob,
That is exactly what I did but when I post sometimes the picture gets bigger for some reason.

Offline Granite Mtn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2010, 10:17:00 AM »

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©