3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Think I decided... (aluminum arrows...again)  (Read 305 times)

Offline K. Mogensen

• Trad Bowhunter
Think I decided... (aluminum arrows...again)
« on: March 15, 2010, 05:34:00 PM »
Well, after thinking about arrows all day at school, think I'm gonna plan on getting some Easton Legacy's for my bow. I thank all who answered my questions on woodies, helped with my decision.

So now some more questions.

1. Who makes some good arrow wraps? I'm looking for bright solid colors.

2. Where to you guys all get your alums? I know a lot of places that do but some I'm sure are more reputable than others. I'd go with 3 Rivers but I don't like that they only sell the weight adjustable PDP inserts, just bugs me.

3. Will the Harbor Freight Chop Saw thing work better for these than a pipe cutter will?

That's all for now, thanks again for all the help you guys have given me. You guys are all real smart about this stuff.  :knothead:

Online frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Think I decided... (aluminum arrows...again)
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2010, 05:58:00 PM »
Need some brite arrow wraps..try these from the Tradgang store. They will make you go blind
 http://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index-tsnewpp.html

When I shot alluminums I got mine through 3 rivers, but there are so many good sponsors here on Tradgang that will treat you right, its a hard choice. You can't go wrong with either of them.

As far as the Harbor Freight Chop Saw, I don't honestley know about that one. All I used is a pipe cutter.
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2010, 06:03:00 PM »
Check out  "Lost Nation",  They will cut to Length and Install Bushings/Fittings as Needed at no Extra Fee!! The Only Trouble With Pipe cutters, is the Burr they Leave. If thats the way You choose to go, better get you a DeBurr tool as well!!  :archer:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Offline Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2010, 06:08:00 PM »
i used a mini tubing cutter on alums for over 30 years with nary a problem on over 10 dozen alums from 24srt-x to x7.  don't need no chopping saw, save yer money.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Shifting Shadow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2010, 07:13:00 PM »
Rob, what about the burr? file it? I have 6 finished aluminums coming from Kustom King.
"Keep the bow you like or you will be looking forever." -H.J.

One bow. One arrow. My ideal.

Offline JimB

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2010, 07:30:00 PM »
I don't understand what is wrong with the PDP type inserts.Kustom King sells the Legacy shafts with inserts and for a fee,they will cut them to length and install the insert also.

Offline Bowmania

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2010, 07:48:00 PM »
I get raw shafts from FS Discount Archery.com.  Best prices I've found.
I'm not putting up with this guys shit and dogging me.

Offline MYSTIKBOW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2010, 07:57:00 PM »
I'm with Rob. Do yourself a favor and save your money! Go to the local hardware store and get a mini tubing cutter. They even come with an extra cutting wheel these days. Get a scrap aluminum arrow shaft and practice a few time and you'll be a pro in no time. As for the burr, that same hardware store should be able to set you up with a deburring bitt. Presto!! your ready to start cutting and making arrows.
I reckon so

Offline rlc1959

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2010, 08:09:00 PM »
I cut arrows for Wheel bow guys all the time. Just use a drill bit a couple sizes bigger than the arrow to remove the burr. By hand . Randy
Randy Chamberlin

NRA Life Member
Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Life Member
United Bowhunters of PA Life Member
PBS Member

Offline K. Mogensen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2010, 08:16:00 PM »
Thanks guys. I want to play around with the length of my arrows to tune. Sounds like the tube cutter is the way to go.

As far as the PDP weight inserts go that 3R sells, I'd prefer an insert without the "frills". Something that doesn't take weight through the back. Too anal?

Offline varmint101

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2010, 08:28:00 PM »
I LOVE these wraps "ONE DOZEN Trad Gang Logo full color 9.5" Bright Flo Yellow wraps that are very hi-vis in the woods.
$12 shipped in the USA" Out of the TradGang store.

I got my Legacy's from Badger Arrow  www.badgerarrow.com  Good price and service.  Larry of Lost Nation is good also.

Bless The Lord, O My Soul!

Member:
Indiana Bowhunter Association
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline K. Mogensen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2010, 08:46:00 PM »
Did those come with inserts?

I like those yellow wraps but I don't like having a logo. Would prefer just solid color...

Offline varmint101

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2010, 08:54:00 PM »
Well, I think onestringer makes them.  I think he's a sponsor here?  So I'm sure you can gett'm w/o the logo.

Yes, Paul(badger) cuts and installs insterts and at no charge.  I'm sure he could leave them loose if you wanted also.
Bless The Lord, O My Soul!

Member:
Indiana Bowhunter Association
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline JEFF B

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2010, 09:21:00 PM »
hey varmint101 i see iam not the only one that has pink fletching they are awesome to see in the woods.  :thumbsup:
'' sometimes i wake up Grumpy;
other times i let her sleep"

TGMM FAMILY OF THE BOW

Offline knobby

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2010, 09:25:00 PM »
When I used to shoot aluminums, I also used a plain tubing cutter. All I used for removing the inside burr was the skinny end of an old file. (Who doesn't have one of those laying around?) You can also use the file to smooth off the cut shaft if you want .

Offline xtrema312

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2010, 09:33:00 PM »
Onestringe for solid wraps.  You can get them very reasonably if you get a few doz. at a time.  I they are $4 a doz. and if you get three or four doz. at a time they are even less.

Forget the Harbor Fright saw. I have one for cutting carbons, but the one time I tried an aluminum for cutting some footings it didn't act like it was too fond of cutting metal so I didn't.  I just use a small tubing cutter.  If you cut slow with light pressure there is hardly any bur to speak of and you can get a tool, use a larger drill bit or knock it out with a rat tail file.  The last ones I did for footings I didn't even need to take a bur out as there was not one I could notice sliding it on the carbon shafts.
1 Timothy 4:4(NKJV)
For every creature of God is good, and nothing is to be refused if it is received with thanksgiving.

Firefly Long Bow  James 4:14
60" MOAB 54@29 James 1:17

Michigan Longbow Association

Offline Bowtie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2010, 09:56:00 PM »
Before I got my arrow cut-off saw, I used a mini tubing cutter (light pressure).  Worked like a charm. I used a counter-sink bit or a drill bit to remove any burr.  I don't use wraps, so can't help you out there.
The work praises the man.

Offline Covey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2010, 09:56:00 PM »
Unless you just have to have legacy shafts, 3 Rivers has the black gamegetters for 39$ a dozen. Thats cheap and there just as good. I would buy them all day for that price!! Jason

Offline K. Mogensen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2010, 10:23:00 PM »
Thought about the gamegetters at one time. Don't like the UNI bushing (heard it's plastic now, sure it can be removed though) and I like the grain pattern on the Legacy's.

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2010, 10:29:00 PM »
OK Varmint...will be sending you an application for Team Pink...Great looking arras....   :thumbsup:    ;)
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©