3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Problems shootin w pack  (Read 154 times)

Offline str8jct

• Trad Bowhunter
Problems shootin w pack
« on: March 15, 2010, 08:43:00 PM »
I did a search for this that turned up 15 pages of results, every time I tried to access the list past the 1st page it said search results not available, so if this dead horse has already been beat...kick it a few more times.

I'm right handed, everytime I practice with a back pack, 15-30lbs, I shoot to left mostly, but occassionally all over the place.  What gives?  I also wear my all day transporter fanny pack that has shoulder straps along with a camelbak that is only a water bladder and have zero change in accuracy.  I can only assume the difference in the distribution/location of the weight changes something I do but I can't figure it out.  Any help?

Offline ishiwannabe

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Problems shootin w pack
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2010, 09:19:00 PM »
Foot placement? Lack of back tension? Just wild guesses, as I dont generally have to carry a pack. I did for a few years in the Army though, and weight on your back can affect almost anything...

Hopefully this will be seen by one of those guys from out west that carry a pack frequently. Good luck.
"I lost arrows and didnt even shoot at a rabbit" Charlie after the Island of Trees.
                         -Jamie

Offline Shedrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2010, 09:39:00 PM »
I have never seen the need to shoot with a pack on. After I spot whatever I may be after, my pack comes off along with my boots.
Member of;
Comptons
Pope and Young
PBS
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
and Life member of Bowhunters Of Wyoming

Offline str8jct

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2010, 09:43:00 PM »
Shedrock, You never know when you might not have the time to drop the pack.  I practice this way as a just in case.

Offline GMMAT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2010, 10:17:00 PM »
I just received my Badlands Diablo (thanks, Whip!), today.  I plan on doing some blank bale, tomorrow.....and hopefully I'll venture onto my range.

I'll report back!

I hope to not have it on my back when/if I shoot.  But, I'll be ready.

Looking forward to seeing what it's all about.

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2010, 11:56:00 PM »
I shot both a mule deer and and elk last fall with a fairly large pack on my back.  No problem at all.  In both cases the animals were close enough that I didn't want to risk dropping my pack, so I was glad that I knew I could shoot with it on.

From my experience a properly fitting pack should not cause problems.  What type of backpack do you have?  Is it limiting getting full extension on your draw?
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2010, 12:06:00 AM »
I find that pack width is the only thing that will interfere with my shooting.  If the pack is to wide up by my shoulders it can interfer with my ability to shoot with proper form.  

I use a Badland Diablo as my day / overnighter pack and I have no problems shooting with it fully loaded.  

My guess is pack location on your back - adjust the straps, or your stance is changing due to the weight and you need to use the same stance with and without the pack.  Also check to make sure nothing at the top of the pack is interfering with your draw arm.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline str8jct

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2010, 07:23:00 AM »
Whip the pack is a camelbak commander and it is nowhere near full when I shoot.

As far as stance, I don't think that'll be it.  I always change my stance and shoot from different angles for better practice.

Forge, you may be onto something.  My straps are tight, but thats the way I like em, I haven't thought about that being problem.  The straps are tighter than with my transporter fanny pack.  Hopefully I can get home in time to shoot today and report back.  Thanks.

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2010, 07:35:00 AM »
I can't tell you how you prefer your pack to sit, but most packs are designed for the majority of the weight to ride on the hips. The shoulder straps are simply there to keep the load stable, but should only support a very minimal amount of the weight. Try adjusting your belt so the pack rides higher on your hips, loosen the shoulder straps some and try again. The contour of the straps and how close they are pulled to the center of the chest can make a big difference too.

I have no problems shooting with my Sitka 14 Ascent pack on. I can do the same with my bison gear, it just takes a bit more adjustment to get it right. Keep tinkering, I think you'll find the setup that works for you.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline str8jct

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2010, 06:54:00 PM »
Problem solved, I loosened the shoulder and sternum straps and shootin is back to normal.  I guess it was too tight.

Offline ksbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2010, 09:22:00 PM »
Yeah, JC is right on the money the hips should carry the bulk and the shoulders should stabilize.  Ben
I would've taken better care of myself,if I'd known I was gonna live this long!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©