3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Poorly fletched  (Read 334 times)

Offline TSchirm

• Trad Bowhunter
Poorly fletched
« on: March 15, 2010, 10:07:00 PM »
Probably a silly question, but I'm newly back to trad archery.  I fletched some arrow recently with fletching tape for the first time.  I did a poor job on 2 of the arrows by accidentally touching the arrow with the fletching before I had the clamp properly aligned.  The feathers aren't equally spaced (3 fletch)and aren't aligned real well either.  How much affect will this have on arrow flight?  Is it likely the badly fletched arrows will fly differently than the well fletched arrows?  I hate to strip them off if it isn't necessary, 'cause I don't have any more cap wraps, and budget is shot right now.
Tom - Fish Carver

Offline Bowferd

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Poorly fletched
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2010, 10:16:00 PM »
Oh, this probably should have been posted in the PowWow forum as it doesn't really have anything to do with trad shooting. So if it gets deleted you can repost it in the proper forum.
Unless these are the most expensive and elaborate arrows, and you plan on hanging them in the den for aesthetic decor, just shoot em.
 I've got a ton of them around from my early trial and error arrow building trials.
 Seems like all my perfect ones busted while these old crudbusters keep hanging on.
 Can you imagine what some of those olden day arrows, that were sometimes made in a hurry, without spine testers, fletching jigs and cresting jigs looked like?
 On second thought, you might just want to keep one to hang on the wall for a reminder of the good old days.
Been There, Done That, Still Plowin.
Cane and Magnolia tend to make good arrow.
Hike naked in the backwoods.

Offline Bowferd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2010, 10:19:00 PM »
If you are just not happy with them, you should be able to remove them from the cap wraps without causing any damage. You might not be able to reuse the fletching but the wraps are pretty tough and shouldn't need replaced.
Been There, Done That, Still Plowin.
Cane and Magnolia tend to make good arrow.
Hike naked in the backwoods.

Offline bolong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2010, 10:31:00 PM »
The only way to know is shoot em, if you dont like em, refletch em.
bolong

Offline bshunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2010, 11:08:00 PM »
trim 'em to the quill and use for bare shaft or stumping arrows...better yet, does your club have an "iron pig" or similar target at your shoots, it doesn't seem like a bad thing when you smash one. Finally, give them to a kid, they will be thrilled!

Offline doug g

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2010, 01:53:00 PM »
It would depend on how poorly fletched they are. Shoot em and see how they fly. You may be surprised. If need be re-fletch them but often what we see as a flaw when we put an arrow together, turns out to not be that big of a problem.
TGMM

Offline NorthernCaliforniaHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2010, 02:04:00 PM »
Fletch tape, if you're really careful, will peel off leaving the wrap intact. You can even get it off the feather and reuse them. I keep a bag of semi-used fletch for my target arrows.
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, it's melancholy, and its charm." Theodore Roosevelt

Find me at ShareTheBounty

Offline Jerry Wald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2010, 03:28:00 PM »
Just shoot 'em - if they don't fly well you can deal with it then....if they do - well shoot 'em again and again.

Kinda like fly tying - i used to tie flys and I would look at the recipe and the nice glossy pics in the book and then I wood look at mine..hmm not even close....but I would use them..just didn't let anyone see 'em.

you know they caught fish better than the pretty ones sometimes and many times the pretty ones caught more fish after they had been chewed on a bit.

Just shoot 'em

Jer

Offline crotch horn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2010, 03:35:00 PM »
I agree. Just shoot the arrows for now. When the budget allows then worry about it. Enjoy the day and let the arrow flty.

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2010, 05:20:00 PM »
Fletch tape is what I use and have made every mistake possible! As NCH said: just be careful and it should peel off with no major issue.

I will say that I have had flething out of line, cut in half, falling off, and every other thing that could happen to it happen and I have never noticed an issue when shot.

I agree with the others....shoot them.
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline TSchirm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2010, 05:59:00 PM »
Thanks for all the info, guys.  I appreciate it.
Tom - Fish Carver

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2010, 06:30:00 PM »
I heard that fletch tape comes off easier with a little heat from a hair dryer or heat gun.

nocams
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline Ground Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2010, 06:45:00 PM »
Shoot them - you just may find that they work ok.  I've shot many an arrow that was missing a feather.  They all grouped with their full feathered friends.  Now if you just don't like the looks of them - tear them down and start over.  Some good suggestions given.  H

Offline stickbowguy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2010, 06:49:00 PM »
Another thing to remember is to put the feather in the clamp  and adjust it before you put on the tape or glue, once you have it set the way you want it then apply the tape. I always leave a little off each end of the feather and then add a drop of glue front and back. Seems to work

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2010, 09:22:00 PM »
Use Saunders NPV Flething Glue if You Want a Good Adhesion!! Never Lost a Feather Yet!! Alum or Wood!! Just My 2 cents.
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©