3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: An observation...and questions.  (Read 726 times)

Offline Mack_S

• Trad Bowhunter
An observation...and questions.
« on: March 16, 2010, 11:02:00 AM »
I was watching the Fred Bear DVD's over the weekend and noticed that he used his bow as a walking stick to cross rivers, tossed it into the bushes, tossed it onto the ground by the animals he just downed, etc.  It seems to me that he was pretty rough on it.  

I know the bow is a tool but tossing it around...  Does anybody know if he brought a back up bow or bows with him on these hunts??  It looks like he always brought more than enough arrows.  I'm currently reading the Field Notes and it seems that they were pretty remote on these hunts and that a back up would be a good idea.  

Do any of you treat your bows like that when out hunting??  I know for me when I'm out and about hunting I will use my bow to hold branches and stuff away as I'm moving through the brush and it does get the occasional scratch.  I'm careful with it but don't baby it and I sure as heck just don't go throwing it around or use it as a walking stick.  

-Mack
-Mack

Offline bolong

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: An observation...and questions.
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 11:21:00 AM »
Money is too hard to come by for me. I treat mine a little better than that.
bolong

Offline HOWITZER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 11:32:00 AM »
Treat mine like gold way to hard to get another one and don't want mine to get damaged.
"Though I'm closer to wrong
I'm no further from right"

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2010, 11:40:00 AM »
Old School allowed many ideas foreign to modern high priced archery. My bows are all well cared for part of the family although hunting tools nonetheless.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2010, 11:46:00 AM »
I would guess that made for good advertising on how durable the product was. I also think Fred probably had an endless supply of bows at his disposal if he wanted to.

As for me, I treat my bows as I would want to be treated, with respect. I know it's a tool, but it is a tool that I ask it to perform without failure. Therefore I do my part that it is not exposed to damage in any way possible.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline kadbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2010, 11:47:00 AM »
If I owned the company I still don't see myself tossing my equipment around.  I use my stuff but try and take good care of it.
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Grand Mesa Bowmen
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline GMMAT

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2010, 12:00:00 PM »
Do any of you treat your bows like that when out hunting??
To me, my bows are simply tools.  Do I take care of 'em?  You bet.  They're expesive tools.

But...do I "baby" them?  Put them on pedestals and shine them?  No way.  I'm hard on them, just like I'm hard on my other tools.  They're serving a purpose.  They're not "primarily" works of art.  

My bow shows a temendous amount of wear from its' first season afield (with me).  I don't ever see me getting rid of it, so resale doesn't concern me.  It wears its' battle scars, proudly.

Would I stick it in the water to steady my crossing?  Sure would.  Would I toss it to the ground?  Well...yeah.  If it won't take that mild amount of "abuse", it has no business in my stable.

When I went to Dave to requistion my new bow, he told me he didn't like to put camo limb veneers on bows under 60#, because he's experienced VERY minor flaw finished, doing this in the past.  So??....lol

It's a tool (to me).  Nothing more.

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2010, 12:01:00 PM »
Check out the bow on the recent hog hunting thread.  It looks like it got throw in the ocean for a year and run over by a Mack truck.  Yet is killed a lot of animals.

I treat my bows gently but not overly protectively.  Comes from my weapons training growing up and in the military.  If your life might depend on your weapon, you protect it well.

Plus with the amount I spent on the bow it would be unconsciounable to abuse it.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline ARCHER2

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2010, 12:21:00 PM »
My stuff has always been to hard to come by, not to take care of it.
But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength:they shall mount up with wings as eagles:they shall run and not be weary:and they shall walk and not faint......Isaiah 40;31

"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline Longbowz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2010, 12:22:00 PM »
Mack,

I've noticed that too.  Some of it, I believe, is the times and some may have been Fred himself.

People didn't revere objects like bows the way we do today.  Of course, owning an archery company doesn't hurt either.
I find the older I get, the less I used to know!

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2010, 12:27:00 PM »
Like GMMAT said. I'll definitely use my bow instead of my face to block a flinging branch and I am not adverse to steadying my binoculars on my longbow either etc. I can't relate to having "safe queens" at all and I have some expensive bows. I like the looks of my well worn hunting bows better than when they had no memories attached to them. Everything I have will one day belong to someone else-use it now is my philosophy!
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2010, 12:59:00 PM »
I use them for walking sticks ect.The other day I got a ground rat and he took the arrow down the hole with him ,pulled the arrow out with him on it and realy ticked ,my recurve makes a nice driver FOUR!.If they cant take it why have it.If I want to look at somthing pretty I got my wife.If theres no dings or scratches on them your not having fun.All my bows are 25+ years old but one and still going strong .
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Offline easyup

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2010, 01:37:00 PM »
Near the bottom of my priority list during a big game stalk or crossing an icy stream is watching out for my bow.  Yet I don't like any new ding and especially hate a ding during a practice session in my own yard.  But admit there comes a time in most of my bows lives when the the dings have grown into a nice patina with lots of character that I would not have any other way.  Yes my newest bow is $ but the way I see it, 10 hunts a year over 10 years is only $12 a hunt, very cheap!

Offline James on laptop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2010, 01:49:00 PM »
Guilty as charged.  :readit:  

I sometimes toss a longbow down from the tree when coming down and never worry about laying one on the ground.They are built pretty tough and I have never been one to baby them or worry about the results.Never done any damage to them outside a scratch or ding.Nothing that I could not fix if I ever needed to.

Offline James on laptop

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2010, 02:10:00 PM »
Guilty as charged.  :readit:  

I sometimes toss a longbow down from the tree when coming down and never worry about laying one on the ground.They are built pretty tough and I have never been one to baby them or worry about the results.Never done any damage to them outside a scratch or ding.Nothing that I could not fix if I ever needed to.

Offline Froggy

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2010, 02:45:00 PM »
Ditto on LongStick64's post.   :archer:
TGMM  >>>>---------> Family of the bow

Online Crash

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2010, 03:11:00 PM »
Looking at the previous posts, I would be guilty of babying my bows.  Normally, the day a bow leaves my possession, it looks the same as when I received it.
"Instinctive archery is all about possibilities.  Mechanist archery is all about alternatives. "  Dean Torges

Offline Mack_S

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2010, 03:46:00 PM »
Some interesting answers.  As I said I don't baby mine when out and about, but I do at the range.  Now, if it came down to me or the bow when falling crossing a stream...you bet the bows gonna get used as a walking stick or thrown.

-Mack
-Mack

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2010, 05:17:00 PM »
Always good to hear when someone else watches Fred's adventures with such a close eye. Lots of little things stand out to me while watching and you bring up one of them. I am like others: I don't abuse them by throwing them around but I sure don't baby them.

Interesting question though about Fred bringing a back up bow on his trips. He was very specific about how he liked his shooting shelf shaped. Can't imagine he went across the world without a back up but I sure don't know.
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2010, 07:56:00 PM »
To me, being too careful with a bow reminds me of the guy I knew who bought a new four-wheel-drive and then wouldn't take it to the woods for fear he'd scratch it.

I'm rough on them. I have weak legs and a limp from polio as a small child, and I hunt mostly with a longbow because it makes a much better walking stick than a recurve. I drop them out of trees, toss them up steep hills ahead of me, use them for hooks, wading staffs, and just about any other abuse you can imagine. I've never had a bow fail because of it, although I have ruined a few strings. The only bow I take better care of in the woods is my Dean Torges longbow. It's just too pretty to abuse, and it's the only bow I really have feelings for. Most of my others have been painted camo. I appreciate my bows, but not to the point that I let it slow me down in the field.

I always take a backup, with spare strings and arrows, on a hunting trip. I'm sure Fred did the same.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©