3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Noncamo/non wool softshell pants  (Read 570 times)

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
Noncamo/non wool softshell pants
« on: March 16, 2010, 12:01:00 PM »
Ive been looking to get some pants for suburban hunting that wont alarm powerwalkers and the like as I may cross a bike path from time to time.Im looking to blend in with like a sporty type pant so Carhart and wool are out of the question.Warmth will not be a big issue, Ill layer accordingly.What pants have any of you found to fit the bill? I only wear khakis like Dockers when my wife bribes me so they wont do either.BDUs might arguably be more alarming to suburbanites around here than hunting camo.2 piece longbow and arrows are covered by a non dscript tube case.Let me know what you have found and use.

Online rastaman

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Noncamo/non wool softshell pants
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 12:53:00 PM »
Sitka's ascent pants come in ash, woodsmoke, and khaki color i believe.  i've got some of the khaki color and like them a lot.  They might be a little hard to find as last years are about gone and this years aren't here yet.  They may have some left on their website and that is where i would check first.  Hope this helps.
TGMM Family of the Bow

:archer:                                               

Randy Keene
"Life is precious and so are you."  Marley Keene

Offline John Scifres

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 01:11:00 PM »
khaki cargo pants.  Get all you want for $4 pr at Goodwill.  1/2 off on the right days.
Take a kid hunting!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Cane Knife

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2010, 02:55:00 PM »
Rivers West makes solid colored pants

Offline Killdeer

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2010, 03:19:00 PM »
Spandex, Izzy, spandex.
Last time I wore some folks were so intent on looking the other way that they could never have described me to a cop. Just stand there and stutter...Spandex!   :eek:  

Killdeer

:biglaugh:
Long, long afterward, in an oak I found the arrow, still unbroke;
And the song, from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend.

~Longfellow

TGMM Family Of The Bow

Offline AlanF

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2010, 03:31:00 PM »
Day One Camo offers a very good pair of pants in loden green saddle cloth. I have them in apparition camo.  Just might be the ticket...  Good luck.

Alan
"You uncovered your bow, you called for many arrows." Habakkuk 3:9

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2010, 04:09:00 PM »
What about some of the military surplus wool dress pants they sell in Sportsman's Guide or some such catalog?
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2010, 04:15:00 PM »
Go to the Salvation Army store on Central Ave in Colonie, They have got all kinds of non jean/hunting pants. Brown or olive cargo pants and a grey sweater they will think your just another yuppie looking to hug a tree!!!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline LKH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2010, 04:51:00 PM »
If you're going to be up in a tree, why not use faded levis.  They will blend in with the sky and work as well as any camo.  Never could understand why we use camo that might as well be black when we get in a tree.

Offline oneshot-onekill

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2010, 06:00:00 PM »
I'm with Killy...go with the spandex.

Or you might want to try a leafy suit you can carry in a small fanny pack and put on over whatever the suburbanite walkers are wearing to blend in.
Proverbs 16:9
TGMM Family of the Bow

Terry Barker

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2010, 09:13:00 AM »
You guys and gals are good,especially you Killy.Ill check Rivers West and Day One Im gonna try EMS, its the only place close enoigh where I can actually try the stuff on. I realy shouldnt have to hide being totally within the law but it just puts me more at ease when I dont have to worry bout some wackadoo coming into the woods to see what Im doing.My suburban hunting disguise kit is coming along nicely, my stuffed poodle on wheels should be done any day, with these pants Ill be complete.

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2010, 09:24:00 AM »
I recently found the Campmor web site- they have good prices on outdoor-oriented clothing, and no camo. Lots of choices. I've bought three pairs of marino wool and/or silk long underwear from them, and quality seems to be excellent. My wife loves the silks I got her.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2010, 07:16:00 PM »
Izzy,

Just jog or powerwalk out to your stand using your bow tube as a weight, raising and lowering it in front of you-better yet ride your bike, while wearing jogging shorts, or cold weather pants, and an MP3.  Then, as Oneshot suggested, change into leafy camo.
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline katie

• Trad Bowhunter
  • “Lady Hawk”
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2010, 08:24:00 PM »
Love the spandex idea!
My hubby has been looking at a softshell pant for summer mountain climbing.  He is looking at an REI pant(around $100) and Eddie Bauer has a new First Accent line that has a nice softshell pant (around $200).  I also have heard great things about Sitka!
"Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wildness is a necessity"  John Muir

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2010, 09:19:00 PM »
Im getting closer.One great big detail that I left out is the fact that cotton is not a good fabric here in the northeast, even after a long dry spell you wouldnt be able to sit for long without getting wet.I need something quick drying.Im getting closer though.Day One is looking real good as is the Leafy Wear over Nike running pants.

Thanks, Izzy

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2010, 08:05:00 PM »
Izzy There is a Store here in Schenectady that might have exactly what you are looking for.  Actually there are two the is Bimor the army navy store and then there is Rudnicks a couple of buildings down that sells all sorts of stuff.  I know you said you were not looking for wool but Chris (Domestic Death   :rolleyes:   )  (Bowspirit   :wavey:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2010, 09:18:00 PM »
Izzy, How about a pair of Black Denim jeans??? (the more faded,the better)

I made a few pair of "huntin' jeans" a few years ago. I put 3 pair of black jeans in the washer with 1 cup of clorine bleach. Run a complete wash cycle with the bleach,then another wash cycle with just clean water for a good rinse.

They came out a very nice "dirt" brown color!!!   :thumbsup:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Online Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2010, 08:44:00 AM »
Izzy, I sent you a PM
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline Mark U

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2010, 09:07:00 AM »
Dickies make great pants for work or play.  I use them for elk hunting all the time, and they are under twenty bucks.  Just wash them a couple of times and they get pretty soft.  I have grey and green.
So don't wait until you retire to go hunting and fishing.  Don't even wait for your annual vacation.  Go at every opportunity.  Things that appear urgent at the moment may, in the long run, turn out to be far less so.

Ted Trueblood

Offline Shedrock

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2010, 09:41:00 AM »
I didn't know Carharts were the "sporty type." I wear them to work, and for most of my bowhunting.
Member of;
Comptons
Pope and Young
PBS
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
and Life member of Bowhunters Of Wyoming

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©