3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Black Widow  (Read 1197 times)

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Black Widow
« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2010, 09:39:00 AM »
When I was looking for a custom bow, I didn't have any thing like the tradgang.  As a matter of fact, I had never even used a computer.  I watched Alen Altiezer kill a buck in "Whitetail Eye to Eye" with a widow.  TBM was a relatively new magazine, and the Black Widow advertisement jumped out at me, and I recognized that it was the bow that was used on that video!!, So I called up BW, and spoke to Ken Beck, and we put together the specs for my SAII I shot and hunted with that bow for 14 years.

I just got my new PCH on Friday, and its a sweet shooting bow. And if I could figure out how to post pictures, I'd post pictures of the Robin Hood that I shot  at 20 yrds with my PSR.

With that said, you really have to see whats comfortable for you. All the upper end "Name" bows are going to be $$$, but you are paying for quality. Its still cheaper than a top of the line compound!
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline zinndl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2010, 10:06:00 AM »
Originally posted by OhioFencing:
This has been hashed out many times......Do a search!
Alot of different subjects have been hashed out before but this forum is here so folks can ask questions without getting snippy replys. If you have nothing positive to say why say anything at all?
Psalm 19:1
The heavens declare the glory of God;and the firmament showeth his handiwork

Offline shadman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2010, 10:29:00 AM »
Good bows! Great people!  :thumbsup:

Offline kat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2010, 10:49:00 AM »
Are they worth it, and are they all hype? Well, they have been selling top quality bows for a long time, and this same subject comes up once a month.  They must be doing somethng right.
Ken Thornhill

Offline anw0625

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2010, 11:08:00 AM »
Thanks for all the positive replies.  I am searching for a new bow and there are to many to choose from, so I come to here for help:)  Thanks again for all the feed back.
Stalker Coyote LongBow
Habu DeathAdder
German Kinetics "German Made"
Black Eagle Rampage

Offline HATCHCHASER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: March 17, 2010, 07:44:00 PM »
Andrew, you are welcome to shoot any of my bows to get an idea.  It will be a few weeks before I am back home but just shoot me a pm and we'll get together.  There is a shoot in Gainesville the second Sunday of April.  I am sure there will be plenty of bows to shoot there.  Try as many as you can.
It's not the arrival, it's the journey.

Offline highpoint forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: March 17, 2010, 07:53:00 PM »
I've been known to say, "Yes they are."

-HPF
Black Widow PSAX Bocote 57# @28, 58 AMO
Black Widow PLX Tiger Myrtle 60# @28, 64 AMO
J.D. Berry Osage Argos 60# @28, 66 AMO

Offline firsted

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: March 17, 2010, 08:15:00 PM »
Funny you should ask - just got done shooting my MAIII after already shooting Robertson Peregrine, Black Swan Hybrid, and my old faithful Asbell Bighorn.  Admittedly the BW is heavier (#62) but the speed, raw power, lack of hand shock and shoot-ability seems to be a cut above & is just too evident.  Black Swan & Bighorn pull about #58, Peregrine at #54.  Got a #59 Vermilion River Raptor & #58 Roy Hall TD arriving soon along with a lighter (#51)one piece Whisperstick so will withhold final judgement.  Maybe I've just not got the equals on hand (i.e. Morrison, Silvertip, etc.) but I guess it depends on who you ask.  Anyway, my unbiased but unscientific results show BW, (even OLD BWs) to be a cut above.
*** Skysoldier - 1/509 ABN

--"You don't get old until your dreams are replaced by regrets"--

Offline randy grider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: March 17, 2010, 08:22:00 PM »
Shoot one, and see how you like it. If you love it, its worth it, if you hate it..., well, its still worth quite a bit for resale.Shoot lots of different bows, and buy what fits you.I personally have liked most of the Black Widows i've shot.
its me, against me.
member KTBA,MCFGC,UBK,NRA

Offline Quickblood

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: March 17, 2010, 09:16:00 PM »
Black Widows are Top Notch!  If you decide to go this route, you won't be disappointed.  Good Luck.

Offline sentinel

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: March 18, 2010, 01:01:00 AM »
I've owned several different bows and I always come back to Black Widow. I'm expecting my PCH within the next three weeks.

Offline CUJO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: March 18, 2010, 01:34:00 AM »
Widows are the benchmark bow of the industry . simple as that..

Offline bushytail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: March 18, 2010, 05:13:00 PM »
If you buy a used one,you can get it refinished.Even change the name on the bow if you want.Call them up and talk to them about it.Great bunch of guys.  :thumbsup:
Harold Wetzler

Offline BillW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: March 18, 2010, 06:16:00 PM »
Like any bow you need to shoot it to know if it suits you. I have other bows I shoot well but I just shoot my widows (3 total) better than any other. One point it is almost urban legendary how people speak of how expensive a BW is. I gotta tell ya a new Bear TD costs more and so do many other custom bows.

A lot has been said about customer service. Most all the bowyers I know practice this but it really is the rule at BW. Good guys and they want you to be happy. I don't ever regret buying a widow, they are really that good. A point on durability, well I never dropped mine but 4 days of wet and rain hunting in Alaska did no harm to mine. On the second to last day I had to hunt the bow performed on que without the slightest issue ever. Two years ago at a 3d shoot I had a string break upon release. I actually scored a 10 with that arrow but the real surprise was I put my backup string on and finished the course with absolutely no issue. Two years later, the bow still shoots great and I confess, I shoot it a lot.

Try before you buy but BW should get a good look... No hype, just good.

Bill
Aim Small

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: March 18, 2010, 06:34:00 PM »
I will be a Widow shooter forever.
"The overhead view is of me in a maze...you see what I'm hunting a few steps away."  Phish

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: March 18, 2010, 07:11:00 PM »
Here is a BW PSR X, O5 model I just traded for, looks as it did when it shipped from the Widow shop.

Love these bows. Short, Sweet and Smooth

The Kingwood on this bow is gorgeous.

Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline vtmtnman

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: March 18, 2010, 07:28:00 PM »
I have a PTF III I traded another member on TG for.Great bow,and it shoots fast and hard.I never cared for that type of design riser,but I do like the bow.My only issue with it is it's not a TD,which is obviously not the bow's fault,merely my preference.I've shot a PSA and an MA and they were great bows as well.

I say they're worth the pennies. :thumbsup:
>>>>--TGMM family of the bow--->

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: March 18, 2010, 07:48:00 PM »
I have some custom bows that cost more than my PSA X and they cant come close to shooting as good as my Widow.

My Widow is one of those bows that really shoots where you point it.

I always keep going back to my Widow no matter how much i shoot my other 'top end bows'.
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline dave19113

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: March 18, 2010, 09:21:00 PM »
They are very nices bows but dont buy a bow just for the name.... Like everyone says, see if you can find ppl in your area who have 1 or 2 and are willing to let you shoot it... I have let many try my Bear Grizzly and my Bob Lee.... Trad guys are more than happy to help out....

Good Luck
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE

Offline John3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: March 18, 2010, 09:31:00 PM »
Worth every penny.. "They" are the standard for a reason.
"There is no excellence in Archery without great labor".  Maurice Thompson 1879

Professional Bowhunters Society--Regular Member
United Bowhunters of Missouri
Compton Life Member #333

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©