3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Black Widow  (Read 1198 times)

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Black Widow
« Reply #60 on: March 18, 2010, 10:18:00 PM »
I have an old MA II that I bought used for $375. Specs. are 62"-51# @29". It's heavy, not all that fast and really not very pretty at all. I have had several BW's but this one just seems to need to stay on my rack. I shoot it as well as anything else I own and its just a great bow. Its almost 15 years old now and I most likely will have it for ever.Hows that for some one that not a real Black Widow fan.........
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: March 18, 2010, 10:28:00 PM »
yup they are the real deal....
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline Robhood23

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: March 19, 2010, 08:33:00 AM »
No, many other good bows out there for alot less!
The man who thinks he can and the man who thinks he can't are both right!!!

Offline mrpenguin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: March 19, 2010, 08:51:00 AM »
Hope to get mine back in the near future! Best shooter I ever had.
God Bless,
Erik
_ _ _ _  _  
Crow Creek Black Feather Recurve 49@28
Browning Wasp 50@28

"And we know for those who love God all things work together for good"-Romans 8:28

"It's so hard to stop being a man and start being a wolf" - G. Fred Asbell

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: March 19, 2010, 09:08:00 AM »
Rob,
The flip side is there are some out there that cost much more and don't perform any better.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline kbetts

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: March 19, 2010, 09:14:00 AM »
One of my Widows is a '95 and the other a '96.  You can't tell.  Take a lickin' and .......
"The overhead view is of me in a maze...you see what I'm hunting a few steps away."  Phish

Offline Shifting Shadow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: March 19, 2010, 09:17:00 AM »
I had 2 Black Widows that I really liked. One was an all black 64" MAB, the other was that short recurve that's no longer made. Both shot fantasic and looked good. As others have said, you have the option to test a bow.
"Keep the bow you like or you will be looking forever." -H.J.

One bow. One arrow. My ideal.

Offline BillW

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: March 19, 2010, 05:57:00 PM »
I have told this story before but once in a while on these threads I post it again.

Before I bought my BW if I was of any mind set it was that the BW just looked odd and I liked a more streamline look.

It came time to buy my wife a new recurve. We were at Cloverdale and I told her "shoot any bow here and see what you like". Well she shot every bow that fit her including a BW PSA. She said "Wow" I like this one. I said, OK if that is what you want....... Well, she said I don't know let me shoot a couple more and see. She did, and wound up back at the Widow booth and again said this is the best. Again she declined buying that day.......

Next week at Compton we did the rounds again, and again she wound up at the Widow booth and said "well thats it, I want this one". I said give me that thing. I want to see what the heck is so great. I shot 5 arrows in a group and my arrows had to be the wrong spine for that light bow.

I went to the Widow booth and selected one in my weight. What I saw was an immediate correction or improvement over my personal bows in how I grouped to center.

We ordered my wife a bow and for 2 weeks I kept thinking about that BW. I asked my wife if she thought the budget could stand another BW and she said OK. I ordered mine and like I said in my earlier post, it is the bow I shoot best. Now, I think they are good looking bows, and as others say tough.

Bottomline, for me is this is the bow that fits me. They may not fit the next guy, and that is just how things are.

Anyhow my point is, I did not buy for the name, it was how that bow improved my grouping. As far as my wife. She had no knowledge about hype or who built one bow or another. For her it was also what she shot best.

No matter what, a guy needs to try a bow first to decide if it feels right. No one can tell a guy what will shoot well or feel good in his hand.

Regards,
Bill
Aim Small

Offline kat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: March 19, 2010, 08:29:00 PM »
Most Black Widow threads get around to the price.
Look around at most top bows, and you will find that the widows are on a par with any of them.  Yes, there are cheaper bows that shoot well out there, but for a top notch bow, price is not a limiting factor.
Ken Thornhill

Offline T.P.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: March 19, 2010, 08:45:00 PM »
I started trad about 1 1/2 years ago.  Bought a used Black Widow and do not regret it.  Someday I will have a new one.

Online fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: March 19, 2010, 10:14:00 PM »
Shot other trad bows, including a nice custom, for 11 years... then bought a used BW PSA III off of the classifieds here.

Wouldn't trade it for nothin'.

Maybe someday I'll buy me a new one.
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Offline jerryb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: March 19, 2010, 10:16:00 PM »
There takedowns are too heavy for me . But I do like there one piece long Bow
Tredway 51@28 60"                 Tredway 48@28 60"                 21st Century 47@28 62"            Bear Grizzly 43@28 56" bear grizzley 48@28 58"

Offline carpenter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: March 19, 2010, 10:18:00 PM »
At one time I owned 13 bows,not a lot for some folks, but that's a lot for me.I will soon be down to two bows,both widows,I'll keep em!
Howard Hill Wesley Special  HH Halfbreed

Offline bushytail

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: March 20, 2010, 06:51:00 AM »
Like some of the guys above,I had to buy a used one.Couldn`t afford a new one.But I don`t regret it.The 95'MA III shoots great.I also have a old 74'BW target bow.I would like to get a BW longbow to try someday.Maybe I can find a good deal at a traditional shoot this year.
Harold Wetzler

Offline joevan125

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: March 20, 2010, 07:13:00 AM »
I have told this story also on this forum.

Last fall i was shooting off my buddies deck at his new hunting cabin when i accidently dry fired my Widow.

It flew out of my hands and landed on the bottom limb tip and then bounced 15 ft off the deck and landed on a pile of gravel he was getting ready spread in the driveway.

I almost threw up and passed out at the same time because the bow was brand new and it also has copperhead skins on it.

I was sure at least those limbs would be scratched and the riser dented.

When i finally walked down the stairs to get my bow to my suprise there wasnt a scratch anywhere on the bow.

Besides shooting as good as any bow i have ever picked up the finish is unbelievable and there customer service is as good as any out there.
Joe Van Kilpatrick

Offline CLK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: March 20, 2010, 12:39:00 PM »
I personally have shot, Custom Kodiak Take downs, Blacktails, Fox, Great Northern, Knight, Bracks, Wallace, St. Charles, Dwyer, Stotler and many more including Blackwidows.  There are many good bows out there, and many that are not.  I will say that Blackwidows are a great bow and worth their price.

Offline Yellow Dog

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: March 20, 2010, 01:08:00 PM »
Through the years I've bought and sold more bow's than I can rememember. But my first Widow is still here if that says anything.

:thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:  

Mike

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Raging Water

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: March 20, 2010, 10:55:00 PM »
I made a post on Page One or Two. I had the same question; are Black Widows up to the hype?

In a word, YES. I bought a MAIII 60" 53# at 28". Just to see what all the fuss was about. I was amazed at the power and the accuracy.

Fan-Freaking-Tastic!!!!

Now, I have a PSA-X on the way. I will be selling my MAIII. One in, One out.
Matt

TGMM - Family of the Bow
TG Contributor
All Around Good Guy

Statistically, 6 out of 7 Dwarves are not Happy… which Dwarf do you CHOOSE to be?

Two things that can never be taken back...Harsh Words and Time, Wasted

Offline ThomastaylorIII

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: March 20, 2010, 11:25:00 PM »
The bows are great, I love mine, Its the best mix of power and finesse. Are they for you, maybe? Ill post a pic of some groups and trophies if you wanna see that, but its all about the guy behind the bow meshing with his soulmate of a bow. Everyone has one, try lots of em and find yours. Try widow sooner than later though, lol.
Only forgiveness will finally end this,
There won't be a witness if we both fall, Theres never a hero in a battle of evil, there's never a winner of the quick draw.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©