3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: New (used) tipi  (Read 967 times)

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: New (used) tipi
« Reply #60 on: March 18, 2010, 10:41:00 PM »
Steve, When it's hot out and the sketter's are bad I just put a coffee can in the middle with a few charcoal brikets simering. The smoke keeps them away.

You can also use the bug candles because the smoke rises and keeps them from coming in the smoke hole too just like the brickets.

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: March 18, 2010, 11:00:00 PM »
I'll be set up with Whip and the other canvas crowd at Compton - come on in and visit. Maybe even have the paint work done by then.

Offline VTer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: July 17, 2010, 07:18:00 AM »
Shaun, have any pics from Compton of your tipi and the "canvas crowd"?
Schafer Silvertip 66#-"In memory", Green Mountain Longbow 60#, Hill Country Harvest Master TD 59#

"Some of the world's greatest feats were accomplished by people not smart enough to know they were impossible."
    - Doug Lawson.

Offline Jmgcurve

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: July 17, 2010, 01:05:00 PM »
Fantastic thread...even the second time I read it. Compton pic?
Life is not about surviving the storm, but learning to dance in the rain!
Blessed is the Nation whose God is the LORD,... Psalm 33:12

Offline larry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: July 17, 2010, 08:23:00 PM »
I think I heard you weren't supposed to use charcoal in any kind of tent? something about the toxic fumes being heavier than the air?

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: July 17, 2010, 09:01:00 PM »
Indian Tipi's are not tents and are well ventalated and made for having fires in them.

With the liner on it pulls the air from the bottom of the Tipi out through the top creating a draft and it sucks the smoke and fumes up and out the smoke hole.

I have never smelled any fumes when the smoke flaps are adjusted correctly.

Tracy
You really haven't hunted the old fashion way until you've done it from one of these Indian houses.(The Tipi) "Glenn ST. Charles"

Offline Mudd

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: July 17, 2010, 10:52:00 PM »
Hey Shawn I enjoyed our visit as you set up your Tipi this weekend. I hope you have a safe drive home.

God bless,Mudd
Trying to make a difference
Psalm 37:4
Roy L "Mudd" Williams
TGMM- Family Of The Bow
Archery isn't something I do, it's who I am!
The road to "Sherwood" makes for an awesome journey.

Offline Shaun

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: July 18, 2010, 05:28:00 PM »
I don't know, do these poles make my truck look small?

Compton canvas village

MOJam 2010 (just got home and wet canvas is draped around the shop from this morning's rain.

Offline K.S.TRAPPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: July 18, 2010, 07:14:00 PM »
Your Tipi looks great Shaun  :thumbsup:  and so does your camp.  :D  

It's a little different driving down the road with those long poles sticking out like that. I like all the different looks I get from people trying to figure out what they are.  :dunno:    :)  

Tracy

Offline tippit

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: July 18, 2010, 07:48:00 PM »
Shaun,

You don't even need to take it down...bow work shop.  Yellow shavings to stoke the fire and a little bear grease to help bend the tips over the fire!  Great looking set up.  

I've got the same set up as Whip.  It will be my home away from home at SRBZ this winter...Doc
TGMM Family of the Bow
VP of Consumption MK,LLC

Offline Jim Keller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: July 18, 2010, 10:47:00 PM »
Here's a funny tipi story. A buddy of mine has one and used to go to a lot of rendevous. One weekend he and his wife and another buddy were staying in it. Mark had a piece of indoor outdoor carpet cut for the floor with a fire ring hole in it. Mark woke up during the night and saw the carpet smoldering. He got up and poured a bottle of water on it and was stamping it out with a towel or something. His wife woke up with all the commotion and helped him get it out. Well, he couldn't get back to sleep with the adrenalin pumping. Next morning Ron wakes up after sleeping through all the commotion. He sees black carpet a foot from his head and got a litlle excited wondering what happened. It was really funny to hear Mark tell the story.
  Then there was the time when Ron started sawing up the spare pole the always took with them....
Jim

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: July 18, 2010, 11:41:00 PM »
Shaun, it does make the rear of your truck look big!  d:^)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Bob Barnes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: July 19, 2010, 12:34:00 AM »
it was cool to watch you set it up...very nice for sure...maybe one day I'll find a deal on one myself...  :)
Bob
"Hello, My name is Bob and I'm a BowAholic"

Offline Archer 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: July 19, 2010, 01:46:00 PM »
Shaun,
Very nice tipi you got. I've got a 22 footer we have had for over 20 years, and it's still going strong. No better camp for the long haul ever made. At a living history incampment we were set up at, a guy passing though asked me if I had it brought in by a chopper. He thought it came all put togeather, and I had it airlifted in. LOL
 Good luck with yours, and many happy camps.
May Your Feet Always Make Happy Tracks.

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: July 19, 2010, 02:25:00 PM »
Beautiful, Shaun. Wish you'd had it when you came down to visit! Would have beat heck out of that motel room...
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline kodiak55

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: July 19, 2010, 06:53:00 PM »
awesome!!!....years ago,I had a sort of half dream/thoughts/plans of taking off,finding some land and setting up a lodge like that and "going native"..lol Well,maybe...down the road...hhmmmm..
71' kodiak hunter 43#
76' grizzly 50#
76' kodiak magnum 55#
80? super kodiak w/factory camo 55
08' super kodiak 55#

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©