3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Do you need a takedown?  (Read 501 times)

Offline flint kemper

• Trad Bowhunter
Do you need a takedown?
« on: March 17, 2010, 07:22:00 PM »
I have had the urge to own a takedown longbow for several years. I prefer the 2 piece not 3 piece. For those of you who have either a 2 or 3 piece how often do you break it down? Is it really absolutely needed for trips where you are flying or is it just a convenience thing? Thanks for replies. Flint

Offline snag

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Do you need a takedown?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 07:26:00 PM »
The other advantage is that if you want another set of limbs in a different poundage you can do it. If you travel with the bow or pack in on horse of foot the bow will take up less room in length as a 3 piece. I also like the little extra weight when shooting a 3 piece. Seems to absorb some of the vibration and it sits nicely in the hand.
Isaiah 49:2...he made me a polished arrow and concealed me in his quiver.

Offline DEATHMASTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 07:44:00 PM »
As Snag said, also you can put a bow in your luggage and not be charged extra for it. If you have two one in each suitcase if one gets lost you have a backup.
They are not notced by handlers .

I have never taken my bow down but have never went out of state to hunt. YET...

Tim

Offline HATCHCHASER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 07:47:00 PM »
I don't take mine down and I have yet to own two sets of limbs for one riser.  I always end up with a whole bow so there are no lonely limbs sitting around.  It would be handy if going on an airplane but other than that no, not in my opinion.
It's not the arrival, it's the journey.

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2010, 07:50:00 PM »
2pc mohawks, only take'em apart for flying, they go right in my big hunting duffle bag, in their own pvc tubes, well protected.  sure beats a separate, big, long bow tube and the added luggage costs.  just gotta hope my luggage arrives with me when i land.    

gotta love the 2pc longbows.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline L. E. Carroll

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2010, 07:55:00 PM »
I actually do take mine down quite alot, as I tend to ride my Harley to as many summer 3D shoots as possible... short bows sure make passing a car less of a hazard.   :wavey:
Tall Tines R/C
64 Kodiak
69 Super Kodiak Big River replica
56" 55$# Static Tipped Kwyk Styk
Blacktail Elite
54 dual shelf Compass Kodiak

PBS Associate Member
Traditional Bowhunters of WA.

Offline Tater John

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2010, 07:58:00 PM »
We're always running around somewhere in vehicles dragging a bow and loading one piece bows is always concerning... I have one three piece recurve,it comes apart to save space when traveling if we're a crowd. Being able to lock it in a fire proof Browning vault is the first reason I like a T/D.

Rusty
"Mystic rhythms,Under northern lights or the African sun,Primitive things stir the hearts of everyone"

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2010, 08:28:00 PM »
I have quite a few 3 piece take down recurve and I take them down alot. Not only after it rains to dry every nook and cranny but if I want to go hunting some day during the week but don't want to leave the bow in the truck for everyone to see I break it down and put it in the Safari bow case. Works great!!!
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Offline thunder1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2010, 08:34:00 PM »
I have an Acs and it never gets taken apart. But if needed to I could.
No man ever stood so tall as when he stooped to help a child

David

Offline acadian archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2010, 09:21:00 PM »
I HAVE A cHEK MATE H2 AND IT WILL GET TAKEN DOWN WHEN I HEAD TO TEXAS THIS FALL OR EARLY WINTER.
44# Chek mate Hunter II

"shoot what you like, like what you shoot"

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2010, 10:27:00 PM »
I would love  to have a take down but I have only flown once to hunt elsewhere. Still want a 2 piece though!
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Curveman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2010, 10:54:00 PM »
I have a 3 piece recurve and a two piece longbow. I prefer the lines of a one piece but on my recurve the limbs are flush and my longbow is a sleeve two piece so you wouldn't know by looking at them that they came apart. I wouldn't have my longbow any other way and still think of it as a longbow. (for me if it has a recurve riser, etc. it's a hybrid). I bring both when I fly and just throw them in my luggage. I don't take them down otherwise.
Compliance Officer MK,LLC
NRA Life Member

Offline Jerry Wald

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2010, 11:00:00 PM »
I break them down only when I am traveliing or going through real thick bush with my horse.

I had a friend who had his one piece strung in a scabbard and the scabbard caught some brush and the scabbard bent and busted his bow...maybe if it hadn't been strung it wouldn't have broke  - wee will never know.

Ruined his trip.

I had two sets of limbs and one riser so I couldn't even help him out.

The ability to have extra limbs is nice to - but dosn't work for a 2 piece though.

jer

Offline Gary Sorensen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2010, 11:03:00 PM »
I have a 3 piece recurve and a 3 piece hybrid.  I typically only take them down when I fly.  Much easier to travel with.  I can typically fit my bow, arrows, and all the rest of my gear into a single duffle.

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2010, 11:04:00 PM »
Flint, you could just cut that Miller and fit it with a sleeve.  Ya feelin' lucky?  :D
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline autumn spirit

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2010, 11:07:00 PM »
Love my 3 pc pronghorn and 3 pc Bob Lee.
A little more mass. They are my best performing bows and they provide more options
Remember your most important vitiman....B positive.

Offline amar911

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2010, 11:40:00 PM »
I have quite a few 3 piece and 2 piece bows. For air travel I like a short two piece longbow the best because it is slim and light. The 3 piece bows are even shorter and do allow for an extra set of limbs, which is very nice too. My one piece bows are great for many purposes, but I doubt I will order too many more of them. They just are not as versatile as a takedown. If you travel with your bow, get a takedown.

Allan
TGMM Family of the Bow

« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2010, 08:58:00 AM »
Another advantage is that 3-pc TDs generally have a bit more weight through the riser section which I find more pleasant to shoot. The travel option is a plus.

Offline SpankyNeal

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2010, 09:36:00 AM »
Flint i'm waiting for Nate to begin building with the composite sleeves to get my TD! Best of everything - Hill bow, Hill grip, short package, and he can retrofit my existing bows no problem!

Ken   :archer:
Ken "Spanky" Neal

4 Sunset Hills and counting!

66" 59# "White Dragon"
65" 56# "El Tigre"
67" 47# "Quiet Places"
66" 57# "Lionheart"

"Speed is vital, however it is absolutely worthless when you exchange it for stability and accuracy"...John Schulz

Offline slivrslingr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2010, 10:02:00 AM »
I fly with my bow, a 3 piece Pronghorn, a couple times a year.  The bow was specifically purchased because of this.  With all the luggage regulations these days, T/D is the ONLY way to fly!  The bow, arrows, extra string, and glove all go in a plastic tube that fits in my backpack, one checked bag, no extra fees.  A guy (or gal) needs a legit excuse to justify another bow, right?  This is it!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©