3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Do you need a takedown?  (Read 503 times)

Offline frassettor

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Do you need a takedown?
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2010, 10:21:00 AM »
I honestly hardly ever take mine down. I wanted takedown for "just incase" I go somewhere. I do have one of mine taken down and its put in a padded gun case. Otherwise I never do it. Both of mine were probably taken down only twice.
"Everything's fine,just fine". Dad

Offline Mike Spaulding

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2010, 10:26:00 AM »
I travel quite a bit for hunting and have used both 3 piece takedowns and one piece bows.  I prefer to use 1 piece bows the majority of the time so I've taken to sending the bow ahead of me via UPS.  That way I think is safer than flying with the bow, I get so nervous the airline will lose/damage the bow.  Probably just me being overly cautious though.  I have traveled with takedowns in my bag several times and had no problems.  I guess it depends on what you like to use and how much of a worrier you are   :D

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2010, 11:19:00 AM »
Bought a 75# 3pc TD Bear Hunter as backup to my 1pc LB's. Never left the rack in 10 years. Sold long ago.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline kat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2010, 11:41:00 AM »
I mostly buy 3 pc. takedowns.  It is handy for travel.  I have never flown with them, but for long car travel, they take up less room.
My original thought was that it would be a cheaper way to go.  Two sets of limbs are cheaper than two bows.  Someday maybe I will buy that extra set of limbs, but for now I keep buying the whole bow. Black Widow just makes too many different models. LOL!!
Ken Thornhill

Offline bearsfeet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2010, 01:45:00 PM »
I have a checkmate hunter II which I love!!
I used to have horses so it would get taken down for that. I am going to do a drop camp for bear here in oregon in a couple months and will take it down for that. I also got a takedown because I like the way it feels in my hand better.
Levi Bedortha

Offline Greg Skinner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2010, 02:13:00 PM »
To me it always seemed like a good option to have the takedown capability, so I do own a couple of bows that are TD's.  The truth of the matter is, though, that I very seldom find a need to take a bow apart.  My favorite bow is a one-piece HH Tembo; next to that is a St. Charles Pacific Yew TD - can't remember the last time I took the Pacific Yew apart. Generally it is easier to just load it in my truck as a one-piece.  If I flew somewhere I'm sure I would use the take-down feature.
And in the end of our exploring we shall return to the place where we started and know that place for the first time.

Offline Mint

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2010, 02:29:00 PM »
Once I got my palmer recurve thats all I use for hog hunting in florida. I bought the LL Bean rolling duffle ( which is under 10 lbs ) that hasa bottom compartment and the riser, limbs and arrow tube goes in there wrapped with clothes. Then the rest of my gear goes in the duffle. It wasa mustthis year since I got three nice hogs and had to put some of the frozen meat in the duffle since my cooler was filled with 50lbs of meat. Having the take down saved me $100 of airline fees.
The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

NYB Life Member
NRA Life Member

Online Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2010, 02:38:00 PM »
I have t/d's that have traveled some but for around home I tend towards 1 piece bows. Like the added weight in my t/ds and add quivers to the 1 pieces just to have a little more weight.
The essence of the hunt for me is to enter nature and observe+ return safely occasionally with the gift of a life taken.

Offline Ringneck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2010, 04:29:00 PM »
I have both takedowns and one piece but prefer the one piece. I seldom get on a plane so it's no big deal. They are normaly lighter and with a quiver added they are just right weight wise for me.

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2010, 04:48:00 PM »
I have one piece longbows, two piece TD longbows, and a three piece TD recurve. Only take them down when I fly/travel. Will never fly with anything but a TD. Just too much hassle. If you ever plan a fly-in hunt, get yourself a TD. You'll be glad you did. Heck, if you prefer 66"+ Howard Hill bows, a TD makes life a lot easier when traveling by truck or car as well.   :thumbsup:

Offline Bowtie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2010, 10:25:00 PM »
I have 3-pc. longbows and recurves. My hunting is generally close to where I live.  So, I rarely take them down.  I prefer 3-pc. because of the heavier mass weight for shooting (quiet, tighter groups, less hand shock).  If I'm ever lucky enough some day to save up enough money for a hunting trip out West, I've got my takedown 3-pc. for traveling.
The work praises the man.

Offline dave19113

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2010, 10:31:00 PM »
Originally posted by flint kemper:
I have had the urge to own a takedown longbow for several years. I prefer the 2 piece not 3 piece. For those of you who have either a 2 or 3 piece how often do you break it down? Is it really absolutely needed for trips where you are flying or is it just a convenience thing? Thanks for replies. Flint
It does make it easier but during the season I dont break it down...... I like mine though for when i can break it down throw it in the truck. When I am not nessisarly hunting but want to keep one handy in case the need arises
FREEDOM IS NOT FREE

Offline Bowferd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2010, 03:14:00 AM »
Yes, I need one or think I do. I once owned a Jay St. Charles double shelf take down and let it go. Wish I could find and buy it back. One of the mistakes I've made.
I've tried 3 pc and they don't seem to fit comfortably. I will purchase another 2 pc.
Been There, Done That, Still Plowin.
Cane and Magnolia tend to make good arrow.
Hike naked in the backwoods.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2010, 04:58:00 PM »
One thing I noticed that I hadn't thought about when I bought a 1-piece (Blacktail Elite VL which I love) intead of a TD, the 1-piece is signficantly lighter in the hand. Some might like that others might be concerned about stability, hand-shock, noise, etc. So far, I'm shootig 3 of my TDs and the 1-piece all in the same sessions (draw weights are withing 1-2 pounds) and my results appear identical. I really like the lines of a 1-piece and I almost never take a TD apart.

Offline cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2010, 05:06:00 PM »
I love the lines of a one piece,but since i am an International bowhunter i take in consideration only a 3 pieces bow.Too easy to pack to carry spare limbs,more mass and stability.I play with one piece i make some serious hunting with the TD.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2010, 05:44:00 PM »
Originally posted by cacciatore:
I love the lines of a one piece,but since i am an International bowhunter i take in consideration only a 3 pieces bow.Too easy to pack to carry spare limbs,more mass and stability.I play with one piece i make some serious hunting with the TD.
exactly my take, too.  i fly out for hunts and a t/d is far more easy to luggage on planes.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline stabow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2010, 06:33:00 PM »
With the air lines charging up to 50 dollars for extra luggage that’s a lot of money if you make a few hunting trips a year that would be a 100 dollars each trip so a take-down will pay for its self over time......stabow
The best thing about owning a dog is that someone is happy when you come home.

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2010, 06:44:00 PM »
plus, many - if not all - of the 2pc t/d bows (longbow and recurve) really do feel like a 1pc, with not many added ounces of weight (which is all in the riser center section, which can be a good thing).  if i hadda have but one stickbow, it's be a t/d, for sure!
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Bowwild

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2010, 07:01:00 PM »
I expect to hunt locally with the 1-piece bows and when I travel I'll take a TD. The neat thing is, at least the distances I'm currently shooting (20 yards and less) I can detect very little difference if any, in my results.  This similarity of result is, I think quite a testimant to the quality of custom bows. Of course it doesn't hurt that I'm a form freak as well.

Offline bolong

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2010, 07:04:00 PM »
I've got quite a few bow's but only one takedown. It's a 3 piece hybrid. I do most of my shooting and hunting with it because I like the extra weight. Never take it apart but will be nice to if the need arises.
bolong

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©