3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bow Length Advantages  (Read 270 times)

Offline monk

• Trad Bowhunter
Bow Length Advantages
« on: March 17, 2010, 08:40:00 PM »
There seems to be a clear trend in bows whether LB or Recurve to go shorter lengths. In your experiences what are the advantages/disadvantages of both (the tangible things like stacking/smoothness; handling; and the intangible like aesthetics; feel; etc)?

Offline Gerardo

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bow Length Advantages
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 03:40:00 AM »
Fred Asbell wrote a great article on this in the TBM, there sure are different bows and there is a time for each one
Gerardo Rodriguez

Offline Earthdog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 04:11:00 AM »
Some bowyers I've spoken with maintain there's a particular bow length that goes with a certain DL.

Say 28" DL = 66' bow for best over all round balance ect.
Me,,I like 68" longbows and 62" recurves,,,they simply feel smoother to draw for me.

Asthetics,,,I like 58" recurves,,,and 68" longbows,,,,I have this thing that any bow under 68" is not a longbow,so I don't care what they look like,,,they just gott'a be long to be a "longbow".
Anything less is a "short" bow.
Like I said,,,"asthetics" an we're all different.
Winning or losing is not the important thing,,the important thing is how well you played the game.

Offline James Wrenn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 09:37:00 AM »
Unless hunting a blind or bowfishing I don't really have a use for a longbow under 68" or a recurve shorter than 62".Unless in a confined space there is no advantage at all useing a shorter bow.I believe the longest bow you can fit in the size space you use the most is always best.  :)
....Quality deer management means shooting them before they get tough....

Offline straitera

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 09:45:00 AM »
32 years of hunting slickdraw heavier LB's 68" plus & have never been disadvantaged w/length or speed. Agree w/E-dog, shorter than 68" is too short for a LB IMO; but, 6'2" w/31" draw helps.
Buddy Bell

Trad is 60% mental & about 40% mental.

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2010, 09:49:00 AM »
My primary concern, since I have a 30" draw length, is "finger pinch" because I draw and hold. I'm not a snap shooter. This is why I prefer 66" recurves and 68" longbows. Also, I think longer bows draw smoother than shorter bows in the same poundage at the same draw length.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2010, 09:51:00 AM »
I like hunting bows from 58"-62".
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2010, 10:04:00 AM »
Right now, I don't own a bow over 56". I've owned them up to 66" and have found anything over about 58" is nothing but wasted limb for me. I only draw 27" and typically either hunt out of a treesaddle or from the ground in fairly thick cover and usually over very hilly terrain....so I have no use for a "long" bow. Shorter bows are lighter, more maneuverable, less likely to catch on stuff while I'm duckwalking through brush, less likely to hit a limb after release etc. etc....at least these hold true for me. You really should try both and find out what works best for you.
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline Doc Pain

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2010, 10:40:00 AM »
If I lived in a more open terrain area, I would probably opt for a longer length bow.  I believe that they are more forgiving to shoot and have better cast.  That being said, where I live and hunt, over the last 40 years, my average shot is still under 15 yards and in fairly thick cover.  I also only have a 28" draw which caters to the short bow.
If it isn't life or death, it's no big deal.

Offline kat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2010, 10:59:00 AM »
I like 64" recurves for open woods, but have just gone to a 58" PCH recurve for ground blinds and tree stands.  Never have gotten the hang on longbows.
Ken Thornhill

Offline rlc1959

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2010, 11:05:00 AM »
I have limited experience but seem to shoot the 66 " Bow I have better than the 62 & 64 " models. I have two 60" Long Bows on the way to try. I want the shortest model that I can shoot well for hunting. Take care, Randy
Randy Chamberlin

NRA Life Member
Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation Life Member
United Bowhunters of PA Life Member
PBS Member

Offline LimbLover

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2010, 12:41:00 PM »
The Asbell article says it best.

I was all about the concept of a shorter R/D longbow and love the Dwyer Endeaver.

Now I'm just not on that wagon anymore. Yes, there are situations that could call for a shorter bow but guys like Howard Hill got around the longer lengths as part of the challenge. I can too. I love the feeling and smooth draw of a 68" longbow.
Nick Viau
President, Michigan Longbow Association
 www.michiganlongbow.org

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2010, 01:13:00 PM »
it's all about compromise and personal opinions.

for those of us with a bit more to a lot more draw length, longer is best way to go but not always the right choice.

longer length bows just plain feel and shoot better for me and i love a 68" longbow for my 29" draw.  but not for hunting - even just for ground hunting i want a shorter longbow length of 60-62" for manoeuvrability.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2010, 01:31:00 PM »
Look at the bows that Art Young, Saxton Pope, Ben Pearson, Fred Bear, Howard Hill, etc. used.  Look at the variety and numbers of game they killed, and the various terrain they killed it in.

For me accuracy is the main goal.  Longer bows are generally more forgiving.  What is "long" depends on the shooter, the bow design, etc. but generally speaking longer works better for me.  I hunt and shoot tournaments with the same bows, that are 66" to 72" long.  Shooting 3-D with them is a big help in knowing hunting limitations.  Practice in the same situations you hunt in.

Chad

Offline TheFatboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2010, 01:44:00 PM »
Short bows are adorable. Long bows are adorable too. I generally prefer longer bows, due to my draw length (30-32"). I have recently ordered a warbow, which is to be atleast 74" long, due to the high poundage, to minimize stack. I can barely imagine how it must have been for the horse archers of old, to pull bows with poundages up to 180#, on bows sometimes measuring down to 44". Naturally, these bows were severely recurved, but still... talk about stacking!
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Offline Ground Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2010, 06:04:00 PM »
I hunt from well, the ground.  I've always used bows of at least 64inch.  Never had a issue with the bow being too long.  I've just made arrangements for a new ACS Cx - its 66inchs and 66#s.  I'm sure it will hunt.  For me, I'll follow the sage advice of the founders of our sport - use a long bow.  It's not complicated - use a long lever or a short lever.  Which is easer?  Its all about the shot.  H

Offline Bowtie

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2010, 10:33:00 PM »
Being that my draw length is short (just over 26"), I find that 62"-64" length bows (longbow or recurve) shoot best for me.  Most of my bows are 64".
The work praises the man.

Offline Michl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2010, 05:28:00 AM »
I only have a 27" draw, but I love longer bows, Recurves 60-62 and Longbows 66-68 because of the smoothness, they seem to be more forgiving too.
Border CH 64" 42@28
Black Widow PSAV 58" 50@27
Rainy Day RC 62" 40@28

Offline Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2010, 05:35:00 AM »
i have always been and probably always will be a fan of longer bows. for my just on 27" draw i prefer 68" in a straight limb bow and 62" in a 'curve . i only hunt from the ground by stalking and have never felt impeded or limited by my bow ... only by my shooting !!! LOL
Ben .
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline Overspined

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2010, 07:41:00 PM »
On the technical side there is an advantage to longer limbs. I shoot 66, 68, and 70" bows.

If you shoot a 66" bow and draw to 28, then 27", the difference in limb movement is more than if you would have done the same with a longer bow. So the arrow will have a larger change in speed with a one inch difference in draw length with a shorter bow than with a longer one. Thus, a longer bow is generally more forgiving and consistent, even in unorthodox, quick, or just plain short draw situations so you will hopefully hit what it was you were aiming at.

I wish I could take credit for coming up with this information but some experienced bowyers are much smarter than I on this subject!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©