3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Turkey season questions  (Read 159 times)

Offline Margly

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Turkey season questions
« on: March 18, 2010, 05:14:00 AM »
I have watched a lot of DVDs`s about turkey hunting but since we don`t have that game here in Norway I`ve never had the opportunity to try it.

But I do have some questions about it.

What is the hunting period?

Is it decoy and blind hunts that is the best way for good results?

Are there a kind of bag limit?

We do a lot of decoy hunting for goose in Norway shotgun) and normally we set out the decoys in a V about 15-20 yards from blind. Is this the same method for Turkey(distance)?

Are the turkey hard to kill?

Is it normal to use special broadheads or usual 2 or 3 bladers?

Which kind of landscape is the preferable for getting in the turkeys?

Do any of you turkey-hunters have some pics of the blinds and the way you have set up the decoys etc.

Lots of questions  :)  But I`ve never been near this form for bowhunting, but it seems like something I will do soon.  :archer:  

Thanks Margly
With a healthy dose of madness and bad memory, life`s a wonderful journey      :thumbsup:    

-----------------------------
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Turkey season questions
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 08:50:00 AM »
Margly,

I'll try to answer your questions in the order you asked.

1. Seasons are usually during the fall deer season in most states... targets of opportunity or bust up a flock and call them back. (they usually reassemble close to where they were separated.
Spring season is the classic. Usually around April and May during their breeding time. Males respond to calling.

2.Decoy and blind is by far the most effective, though "run and gun" is a lot of fun but fairly frustrating.

3.Always a bag limit... usually one or two birds. Males only in spring and any bird in fall.

4.Usually decoys set near blinds should be very close (10-20 feet).  Turkeys aren't afraid of the blind.

5.Turkeys are very tough birds. Proper shot placement is key like any other animal. Vitals are very small.

6. Some guys opt for single blade heads but many more prefer the superior wound channel of a large multiblade.

7. Landscape varies from state to state, but you'll usually find the birds near timber of some sort. It's where they roost and often where they feed.

Hope this helps.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 08:52:00 AM »
Do a search for Curt "Guru" Cabrera's turkey hunting adventures. Lots of pictures and good info.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Margly

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 08:54:00 AM »
Thanks Charlie  :thumbsup:  

Margly
With a healthy dose of madness and bad memory, life`s a wonderful journey      :thumbsup:    

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Sean B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 08:57:00 AM »
Margly-The seasons vary from state to state and region to region. Here in NY as I think much of the orth east US has a later season than the southern states.  We run the entire month of May. the bag limits also vary in each state, and even vary in different parts of each state.

Now, in the 30 years of that I've been hunting turkeys, I've rarely hunted fields with decoys as seen in many of the DVD's.  However, I've only recently been hunting them with traditional archery equipment, and I do find that the decoy does keep them occupied while you draw your bow.  I still prefer to hunt them in wooded areas as opposed to fields.

I think turkeys make a great challenge for the bowhunter, because of their keen eye sight and small vital area. If you put a good hit on them, you shouldn't have to chase them TO far. a large sharp broadhead will do the job.  I myself use both.

you can find turkeys in various types of landscapes.  They are very adaptable. Here in NY state, we just about any type of terrain you can imagine, from steep hills and mountains to flat land and large open fields to marshy swampy areas.You can find them almost anywhere in the state. You may get some different points of view from other turkey hunters that may be different from mine, but I think they all work.

Good Luck
Sean
PBS Regular Member
Comptons
NY Bowhunters Association
BW KB X
BW PCH X
BW PSR X
Robertson Tribal Styk

Offline Margly

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2010, 09:18:00 AM »
Thanks Sean!

I do believe it is a really exciting animal to hunt.

Margly

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2010, 09:29:00 AM »
Check this out.  Curt 1... Timex  
  Gilbert Grape
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Users currently browsing this topic: