3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How much camo?  (Read 789 times)

Offline gudspelr

• Trad Bowhunter
How much camo?
« on: March 18, 2010, 05:26:00 AM »
I know a lot of people have opinions on how much camo hunting gear actually helps a hunter and was hoping to get some from you all.  I'm hopefully going to be bow hunting for the first time this fall (with a bow I'm getting ready to make) and already own a few pairs of camo pants/shirts, etc.

I've read where some really like the 3D type suits (ASAT, for example).  Some wear camo hoods/face covers and gloves, as well.  Do you all see that much gear as a necessity while bowhunting?  I've never hunted in a tree stand and my hunting life will remain on the ground for the forseeable future.  What are your opinions for a guy like me?  I wouldn't say I'm fantastic at stalking super close to game-frankly, I've never been required to with a rifle...  Does the camo aid the hunter that much more when trying to get closer?

Anyway, thanks for your thoughts.
"Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful."
- William Morris

Craftsmen strive to make their products both.

Offline Spectre

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How much camo?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 09:07:00 AM »
Camo is only effective when sitting still. Critters will see movement regardless of the super camo job.
 Move VERY methodically and stop a lot to look around.
Gila hickory selfbow 54#
 Solstice reflex/deflex 45#

Offline Kip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 09:14:00 AM »
The last few years I have covered up my face more then ever.I think it really helped.I had a few deer look up at me and never spooked.I mix and match all kind of camo pants and shirts.Kip

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 10:20:00 AM »
Deer pick out faces and eyes on predators immediately.  Keeping your skin tone covered and eyes averted from deer helps a lot.  Camo is one piece of the picture and a small piece.  Lots of hunters kill animals in natural tone wool clothes, and I know some who hunt in blue jeans and a t shirt and kill animals.  

I own camoflauge, ghillie and shaggie suits, and natural color wools.  I hunt each of them for set environments and temperatures during hunting season.  The only one that really gives me an advantage is the ghillie / shaggy suit.  Deer will look right thru you when you wear one.  

Motion is instantly picked up in any other camo.  They see it in the shaggy too but often move closer trying to figure out what is moving.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Online Ryan Rothhaar

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 10:34:00 AM »
Name brand camo is made to catch your $$$$.  Natural colors (in solids or plaids) are just as good.  I don't worry about covering my face and hands (unless its REAL cold) and I depend on situating my treestands correctly to give me the cover I need.  You hang your stand on a telephone pole 20 feet from the deer trail and your gonna get busted - I don't care WHO'S name is on your shirt.

Shot these guys at 10 yds, 7 yds, and 6 yds in the last 2 years wearing what I have on in the pics.  But of course if it makes you feel better camo up all you want - it won't bother the deer!

R

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2010, 10:40:00 AM »
Here is my take on camo. We need to get close to our quarry and there is no doubt you can kill things wearing blaze orange coveralls. But I'm hunting mature whitetail and if camo gives me an advantage and I believe it does, I'm definitely using it. Covering your face is a good idea. I can't shoot with a mask of any kind so I use face paint if after a buck. Covering your hands is also critical as that is the part of the your body that does most the moving at the shot.

If you are ground hunting I strongly suggest the leafy flage jacket and pants. What's great about them is that it is all the camo you will ever need to buy. The leafy camo pieces are usually sewn onto a lightweight mess which is very breathable and cool. Whatever clothes you wear under it can be any weight and the color makes no difference. When its hot in the early season I wear my leafy jacket and pants over pair of shorts and a tee shirt. When the season gets colder you can throw them over your heavier clothes.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline LimbLover

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2010, 01:57:00 PM »
I just started hunting in October and was in your shoes. I bought camo (the cheapest I could) headnet and the whole smear. I ended up getting my deer with a plaid hunting shirt from Goodwill.

If you hunt on the ground, focus more on the following:

1) Cover your face and hands. Hats and gloves DO help to shield your eyes and prevent the sun from reflecting off your skin.

2) Pick a spot that hides your outline. Focus on what is behind you. It doesn't need to be in front of you.

3) Choose a spot with options that enables you to shift into a shooting position.

You would think that you can't move with a deer close by, but you can if you pay attention to what it is doing and look for opportunities.

I shifted twice to shoot my doe - from seated to a knee, then from knee to a crouch - and I was in the middle of a large group of deer. I also drew on a pair of deer earlier in the season and was actually able to transition from a seated ground blind to standing in front of a pine tree before I did it AND I was wearing red and black plaid.

They get preoccupied just like we do and they can't make you out as easy as you think. Its the scent that kills you.
Nick Viau
President, Michigan Longbow Association
 www.michiganlongbow.org

Offline helo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2010, 02:06:00 PM »
High dollar camo is overrated in my opinion. I do feel it is important to cover the face with some kind of outline breakup I use plain old charcoal. It is much more important to use the wind.

Offline LimbLover

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2010, 02:13:00 PM »
A bandana pulled up over your nose works fine too. I have one of those $8 fleece hoodie hats that has the optional face mask built in. I just pull the hoodie part down and the face mask stays up fine.
Nick Viau
 www.michiganlongbow.org

Offline LKH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2010, 02:19:00 PM »
I shoot everything spot and stalk and one of the things that helps is some kind of junk in your hat to break up the round dome look we have.  Never use face coverings.  Doesn't seem to matter.  I killed a nice muley last year while wearing levis.  Its all about watching the eyes.  If you can see their eyes, they will catch you moving.  

If you hunt from trees, you can wear anything you want.  Blaze orange camo is great.

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2010, 02:28:00 PM »
If you are hunting the ground, move as little as possible. Hunt the wind as much as possible. I shot a deer shortly after taking this picture.

I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline Don Stokes

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2010, 02:50:00 PM »
I do think they can notice your face, if you are looking directly at them. I'm fairly certain my white beard attracts their attention. I normally do something to break up my face if I'm on the ground. In a tree, I don't bother.
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.- Ben Franklin

Offline twitchstick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2010, 02:51:00 PM »
I my opinion it's about breaking up your outline and watching your movement and movement the most important. Plaid on the old flanel shirt is camo just not marketed as. I killed my frist elk in a old faded camo top,purple shorts and flip flops. I was checking a water hole for tracks midday when they came in,just made like a tree in the wide open and full draw. A friend I hunt with thought for years that the proper attire was blue jeans and a white shirt when hunting because thats how his older bothers had always done it. I do use camo and will to some degree always but it's not necessary.

Offline gudspelr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2010, 03:25:00 PM »
Thanks for all of your opinions-I greatly appreciate them.  I'm not one that has a lot of money to spend on the high dollar camo, so it's reassuring to hear I don't necessarily have to get it to be successful.  I'm pretty anxious for this season-never hunted the rut before and can't wait to see it!  Thanks again
"Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful."
- William Morris

Craftsmen strive to make their products both.

Offline Jeff Strubberg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2010, 03:27:00 PM »
IMHO, texture is as important as color or camo pattern.  

But, I'm not the worlds most successful deer hunter, either.
"Teach him horsemanship and archery, and teach him to despise all lies"          -Herodotus

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2010, 03:51:00 PM »
Depends where and how you're hunting. If hunting larger private farms with light pressure, you can get away with a lot. If hunting natural on the ground in area's with heavy to extreme hunting pressure, meaning 20 plus archers per sq mile, I'd suggest you do everything possible.

I've hunted lightly pressured farms in Illinois where jeans and a brown shirt would have been fine for decent bucks. On the other end of the spectrum, in some pounded area's of Michigan, fawns will spook unless your face is camo'd up and you're head to toe camo.

I remember pulling a stalk on an Illinois buck eating in a corn field and thinking "this would never happen in my area of Michigan". Deer bust out of a field 500 yards away, like you shot at them with cannons, in my local Michigan area.

Hunting pressure will determine many aspects of "how to do" things.

Seeing you're from out west, pressure like I'm talking about won't be a factor because it doesn't exist.

Offline LimbLover

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2010, 04:09:00 PM »
Depends where and how you're hunting. If hunting larger private farms with light pressure, you can get away with a lot. If hunting natural on the ground in area's with heavy to extreme hunting pressure, meaning 20 plus archers per sq mile, I'd suggest you do everything possible.
Excellent point.
Nick Viau
 www.michiganlongbow.org

Offline Chris Shelton

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2010, 04:19:00 PM »
What has been said above is just about it.  But directed towards the plaid junkies.  If you are wearing a solid grey pair of pants, moving through the timber, with a plaid top, that is still a big chunk of grey that the deer will see.

Think of it this way, try moving a peice of grey paper behind a screen.  You can definatly tell the paper from the screen right?  Now move a peice of screen behind the screen, what do you see?  Just screen, so if you wear something that looks like a treebranch, and you move slowly, and stop now and then.  Chances are they will think you are a treebranch.  Anyway that is just how I look at it.  Then come gun season I have to stick that bright orange hat on my head.  I am still not bought on this "deer see shades of grey bull", that is just something someone made up back in the day to get hunters to wear orange, lol
~Chris Shelton
"By failing to prepare you are preparing to fail"~Ben Franklin

Offline Ground Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2010, 06:14:00 PM »
Movement is what busts you.  H

Offline jcar315

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2010, 07:03:00 PM »
No camo for me. Plaid pullover and pants and I am ready for anything. Sitting still and downwind is more important than any camo.
Proud Dad to two awesome Kids and a very passionate pig hunter.

Right handed but left eye dominant.

Proud to be a Native TEXAN!!!!!

"TGMM  Family of the Bow"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©