3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How much camo?  (Read 788 times)

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: How much camo?
« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2010, 05:37:00 PM »
I think there is a whole bunch of sillyness out there! Seriously!!

How many times in this thread have I read that, "I don't believe in camo. It's just a gimic. Give me a plaid shirt and soft green pants anyday."

Hell!! Camo ain't a brand! It's a technique and an attitude.

You won't shoot many animals standing in the middle of a clearing, in a white shirt, scratching your butt! Any improvement on that is a move toward camo.

I once read one of Howard Hill's "protoges" say that Howard didn't like camo. Yet he put a whole chapter about it in "Hunting the Hard Way". Sometime before Bill Jordan was born.

WHEW!!! Thanks! I needed that!! Now back to the discussion.
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline gregg dudley

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2010, 05:45:00 PM »
Come on, Charlie!  It's fashionable not to like camo!  Don't go rainin' on the parade!  :bigsmyl:
MOLON LABE

Traditional Bowhunters Of Florida
Come shoot with us!

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: March 20, 2010, 05:53:00 PM »
:D
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Ben Maher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: March 20, 2010, 06:03:00 PM »
i don't wear production/commercial camo, mainly because its expensive! also , if i match my check shirts or similiar to the surroundings i seem to do ok . also remember here in Oz there are no "bow only " seasons so i don't want to blend in too well!!!
however , by choosing my clothes carefully i am matching my clothes to the surroundings so in effect wearing "camo"..i ain't adverse to taking burnt cork to my face either.
so you'll never see me wearing commercial stuff but i'll ALWAYSchoose my clothes carefully!
" All that is gold does not glitter , not all those who wander are lost "
J.R.R TOLKIEN

Offline jrbows

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: March 20, 2010, 06:27:00 PM »
We can't out run em,we can't out see em,we can't out smell em, we can't out hear em,we can on occasion out maneuver and and out smart em,I do wear camo just for the CYA factor I just think the more you stack the odds in your favor(barring baiting) against an animal whose profession is surviving in the wild,the more you can concentrate on the task at hand,the deer might well see me but to my mind I will have done everything in my power to prevent from being seen if I'm camo'd and I get busted then bravo to the animal that busts me,for proving to me why they should be respected as a worthy quarry.About the camo I use most of it is not high dollar but seasonal left-overs,when I can get "spring gobbler camo" on sale in late summer I do and it's worn on the warmer days of deer season since it tends to be lighter weight.The same goes for the heavy or insulated stuff.Over-all thoughts,go with, go without, keep track of encounters and experiences and decide for yourself.Whatever you decide good luck in your first year.
SAVE A STUMP SHOOT A DEER

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: March 20, 2010, 06:41:00 PM »
It doesn't even have to be what you'd commonly think of as brown/green camo. Blaze orange camo is great for later season/post leaf drop if in a tree and great for on the ground with snow.

Open patterns like ASAT or Predator, or whatever you make yourself that's similar not only break up outlines, they give the illusion of depth.

Plaid is just fine, but plaid will blob more than open patterns.

To be honest, I wish my family land wasn't in the heaviest pressured county in the state. My county has around 25,000 deer hunters in the DNR survey but is only 842 sq miles. That's 30 deer hunters per sq mile on average. Take away lakes and towns and it's 40 deer hunters per mile. You can certainly kill deer in plaid or a white T, but any decent buck that runs that gauntlet doesn't stick around if the least bit nervous. Even our jittery fawn look up! LOL

If the deer infront of you maybe already ran into 2 hunters before you, and saw them and spooked, you better not have any outline that blobs.

Offline GREASEMAN

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: March 20, 2010, 07:10:00 PM »
I have to agree with Ryan R.His attire of Natural Colored plaids is really natural camo.
Dull colors and Plaids will do just fine!!
I own both camo and natural camo, but, I prefer the wools and naturals.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: March 20, 2010, 10:16:00 PM »
Lots of patterns, including plaids and other other earth tone items can be very effective but the best "camo" is discipline - being still and hunting the wind.
Sam

Offline gudspelr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: March 20, 2010, 10:33:00 PM »
Wow-thanks everyone for giving your advice.  I can't tell you all how appreciative I am that you're willing to share some of your hard-earned experiences with me.  Great info and I'm certain I'll be using pieces of advice from many of you in the years to come.
"Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful."
- William Morris

Craftsmen strive to make their products both.

Offline Mojostick

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: March 21, 2010, 07:47:00 AM »
I'd make sure you appreciate what you have in Idaho.

We do have a ton of deer in Michigan. Too many in a lot of area's. But in many area's, dealing with other hunters is as much a part of the hunting strategy as trying to outsmart the deer.

Offline MikeBurns

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: March 21, 2010, 08:29:00 AM »
Here's my new camo for this year. I also have predator and natural gear.  
Sgt USMC '80-'87

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: March 21, 2010, 10:01:00 AM »
OK  I've had my coffee.  Is someone game ?

How about get a bunch of fabric that is printed with a corn color and design and drape it over you and the chair you are sitting in.  Maybe even stake it out in TeePee fashion.  Hole for your head and holes  (w sleeves) for your arms.

Make yourself look like a huge pile of corn, or sugar beets, or brussels sprouts.  Bow in hand, just waiting for the rascals to approach !

ChuckC

Offline hizzoner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: May 18, 2010, 01:50:00 PM »
Hey Mikeburns..nice shirt..may I ask whee you got that plaid?

Thanks

Mark

Offline amicus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: May 18, 2010, 02:06:00 PM »
Hey Mike, I really like that shirt, where did you get that?
The blessing of the Lord, it maketh rich and He addeth no sorrow with it. Prov 10;22

A sinner saved by Grace.

Offline amicus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: May 18, 2010, 02:07:00 PM »
oops, I didn't noitce that hizzoner asked the same question. sorry.
The blessing of the Lord, it maketh rich and He addeth no sorrow with it. Prov 10;22

A sinner saved by Grace.

Offline amicus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: May 18, 2010, 02:15:00 PM »
This is my favorite camo

A sinner saved by Grace.

Offline Nate Steen .

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: May 18, 2010, 02:37:00 PM »
Re-reading a book by one of "Hill's protege's", he stated that he never saw Hill in a "camoflage suit", and that Hill's choice of clothing was the plaids and greens of flannel or wool and brown or khaki pants.   Now, camoflage suit and wearing plaid clothing in that 70's book is the same discussion that guys are having today.  Both work well, but how do you want to look when wearing it?  I prefer to look like a gentleman, not a military special ops movie character.

Gudspeir,  you don't say what part of Idaho you're from....I'm from southern ID and we have lots of sagebrush that's only waist high in which to hunt...to camoflage myself, I wear plaids if I feel like it, or solids, jeans or khakis, wool or cotton.  But if at all possible, I keep the sun at my back, the wind in my face, and always my feet on the ground.  Camo doesn't help if I do the other things wrong.

Offline OkKeith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: May 18, 2010, 02:41:00 PM »
Jeremy,

Camo is anything that helps you blend in with your surroundings. It could be a plaid shirt, a handfull of leaves stuffed in your hat band or everything from page 50-100 from the Cabela's catalog. If you use it to hide from game, it is camo regardless of color, pattern or material.

You don't HAVE to have any extra clothes to hunt in. Your street clothes would work fine if they are comfortable and keep you warm/cool while outside. Seems to me staying warm would be the primary concern up your way. I would bet that there have been more deer killed in the last 100 years by folks wearing Carhartt coats or red and black Mackinaws than any other outerwear.

If you have a few extra bucks, I think a good pull-over facemask and a good pair of gloves in some type of camo pattern would help quite a bit. Covering your face and hands goes a long way toward getting close enough to game to get a shot.

OkKeith
In a moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing. The worst thing you can do is nothing.
Theodore Roosevelt

Offline LKH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: May 18, 2010, 05:11:00 PM »
Never wear face paint and only rarely to I put something on my face.  Even then it's generally to help warm up a bit.

I hunt almost exclusively spot and stalk on the ground.  Last fall I took my best muley wearing levi's.  The one of the three bucks in the group got up and looked at me in plain site 4 different times.  When I saw the antlers moving to get up I froze.  They never figured out what I was until it was too late.  

It's all about movement.

I do wear different hats w/leaves and junk sewed on the top and sides.  Lately I've been using military boonie hats w/local vegetation in the band.  I think breaking up the round dome look is critical when peaking up for a look.

Offline Johan van Niekerk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: May 18, 2010, 05:11:00 PM »
Its all about the S's.

1. Speed - you have to move REAL slow. If you move slow enough even animals facing towards you won't always pick up the danger.
2.  Shadow/Sun - If you move through the sun you WILL be visible. Always move round the shadow side of a bush.
3.  Silhouette/Shape - If they can see your outline, they can recognize what you are. So either break it with a leafy suit OR keep something hiding your outline BEHIND you. If its in front you'll have to peek around and that really makes your outline jump at 'em
4. Smell - ALWAYS move into the wind OR across it. Animals downwind WILL pick you up. Regardless of what soap or scentlock stuff you use.
5. Sound - Any sound not belonging in their neck of the woods are instantly recognized.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©