3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Best Aluminum arrows?  (Read 380 times)

Offline TSchirm

• Trad Bowhunter
Best Aluminum arrows?
« on: March 18, 2010, 04:39:00 PM »
Any thoughts on best aluminum arrows?  I 'm budget limited and set up to work with aluminum arrows, but haven't bought any in many years due to a shoulder injury keeping me out of archery for awhile.  I like th look of Easton XX75 legacy's, but wonder if the bushing nocks type arrows are better.  Suggestions are appreciated.
Tom - Fish Carver

Offline Ground Hunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Best Aluminum arrows?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 04:49:00 PM »
I've used both with and without the uni nocks.  If you put the standard nocks on straight - no difference.  The XX75s are a good shaft.  The XX78s are better but more $$$.  I shoot way more Legacys than XX78s.  H

Offline Ken Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 04:54:00 PM »
I like the thicker walled aluminum shafts (like the xx75). I also prefer the tapered shafts that you can simply glue the nock of your choice on (like the xx75).

My favorites are:
Easton autumn orange...they quit making them
Easton classics 2317...they quit making them
Easton 2419 (any color or pattern)...they quit making them

Thankfully I have a supply that should last me a while and I also shoot cedar.
May your next adventure lighten your heart, test your spirit, and nourish your soul.

Offline bearsfeet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 04:59:00 PM »
I like xx75. I recently switched to lighter draw bows and carbon because of my sholder. I will shoot ya a pm and see if I have something left for ya.
Levi Bedortha

Offline LoneWolf73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 05:28:00 PM »
xx78 where you can adjust the knock for arrow flight.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways-BOW in one hand-ARROWS in the other-Body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming-WOO HOO! WHAT A RIDE!

Offline Barney

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2010, 07:00:00 PM »
XX78 has a "stronger" wall than the XX75 not thicker. XX78 is 7178-T9 alloy, XX75, Classics, GG II, and gamegetter are all 7075-T9.

PSI strength of XX78 is 100,000 psi, XX75 camo hunter is 96,000 as is the GG and GG II.

Straightness of XX78 is +/- 0015", XX75 is +/- 002" and GG and GG II is +/- 003.

You can also find uni nock bushings for most shaft sizes.

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2010, 07:08:00 PM »
Like Barney correctly stated XX78 are the Top Alu.I used them since they were out,simply fantastic shfts.Now I use Carbons anyway.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2010, 07:28:00 PM »
I don't use aluminum any more but 20yrs ago the Easton alum.Gamegetters(dark green in color) were the bomb!They were tough as nails.IMHO
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Archer Fanatic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2010, 08:33:00 PM »
I like the Legacy's but I cut the nock end off and put unibushings & uninocks  on my Legacy's.

Offline TSchirm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2010, 09:30:00 PM »
Thanks to all for your input.  Like you bearsfeet, I had  a shoulder injury (non archery) shortly after I got into Trad archery in the 90's.  Due to circumstances, I was not able to get a lighter bow until this winter.  I am excited to be back in trad archery, but am budget limited.  That is why I am probably staying with aluminum.  Cheaper,and I have the tools to cut and finish the aluminum shafts, but not carbon. I have some old legacy's, but they are a little short and a little high on spine, I think. I will be bare shaft testing shafts next week with a bowyer to see what I need.  Thanks again.
Tom - Fish Carver

Offline Spectre

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2010, 10:00:00 PM »
Autumn orange. The very best by far. I aint kiddin. Too bad they quit making them.

My lamentations
Gila hickory selfbow 54#
 Solstice reflex/deflex 45#

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2010, 08:32:00 AM »
Maybe the folks at Easton should see this thread. They also quit making the Super Slam XX78s in 2016, my personal favorite and the toughest shaft out there.I have a small stash of them, but I can't find anything as tough to replace them when they're gone.  :help:

Offline Ken Taylor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2010, 08:52:00 AM »
Besides being too light for my taste, the problem that I had with XX78 is although they are stronger, they seemed more brittle and would shatter rather than bend like the XX75. Was it just in my head or did anyone else notice that?

I have a good arrow straightener and don't mind having to check them once in a while, or even having to work a while on one that looks like a banana. Nothing I could do with the cracked, split, or broken XX78s.

I realize that when they have been bent badly, they are easier to bend again, but I would save the worse ones for small game, especially grouse in trees or running hares. They still shot well enough.
May your next adventure lighten your heart, test your spirit, and nourish your soul.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2010, 08:57:00 AM »
X7's are the top aluminum arrows (for hardness and straightness), but they are more for target shooters and aren't available in the heavier mass weights.  They will still work for hunting for most draw weights though.  

In shafting designed for hunting, XX78's are tops.  XX75's work just fine also, especially if you hit the target and not rocks, trees, etc.  Thicker walled shafting (the second number) will be stronger and heavier in a particular shaft, i.e. a 2016 will be stronger and heavier than a 2012 (don't know if either of those are available now, just using the numbers for a comparison).

Chad

Offline Shifting Shadow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2010, 09:09:00 AM »
I appreciate this thread. I see I have alot to learn about aluminum shafts.
"Keep the bow you like or you will be looking forever." -H.J.

One bow. One arrow. My ideal.

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2010, 09:25:00 AM »
i've used alums since way back in the early 60's, starting off with 24srt-x shafts (you looked at them too hard and they'd bend and dent! what junk, but boy could they fly great out to 100 yards), then the excellent xx75 (i won a bunch of shoots with these shafts), and the best all alum shafting is still x7 (the best of the best!).  

the good thing about alums is that there's just one main company to deal with: easton.  and the shafts are super consistent and available anywhere in the world and easy to get to tune and fly really well.  the downside is that alum is 'durable inferior' to carbon, and will bend and dent far too easy when roving or hunting.  if yer just punching paper or foam, no problem-o.  

carbon won't take a bend set or dent, but will snap if hit on something hard and at the wrong angle.  still, lots more consistent and accurate than alum, imho.  tuning carbons is no big deal, once you realise to go weaker in spine than the charts recommend - and load up the front end weight.

i think we're in the day and age where i'd consider easton aluminium shafting to be 'historic traditional'.   :D
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Night Wing

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2010, 10:21:00 AM »
Look at my signature. Two of my bows shoot a light 8.8 grains per inch XX78 X7 Eclipse 2212 target arrow. But, I shoot low poundage bows and I have a long 30" draw length. I shoot my arrows off the shelf too. I like to shoot 32" long (BOP) arrows and that gives me about 1.5" of clearance between the back of a very sharp broadhead and the knuckle on my finger that's in front of the shelf's riser. Since my arrows are 32" (BOP) and with my 30" draw length; that light 2212 target arrow, with a 180 point weight (2 blade STOS 145 grain broadhead glued to a 36 grain screw-in Zwickey long broadhead adapter) has an overall arrow weight of 526 grains. Now, my light target arrow grains per inch wise becomes a heavy hunting arrow with regards to grains per pound.

For my 41# longbow with a dacron bowstring, this gives me 12.82 grains per pound. For my 37# recurve with a Dyna97 bowstring, this gives me 14.21 grains per pound. In retrospect, both bows out to 20 yards shoot a flat shooting heavy arrow.

As for the .012 wall thickness, yes, it will bend if it doesn't get a complete pass through on a deer or a 150# feral hog if these animals fall on the protruding arrow. But, after I kill a deer or  a 150# feral hog, I retire the arrow even if the arrow makes a complete pass through. I can always re-cycle the uni-bushing, point insert and broadhead (glued to the long broadhead adapter). So; I'm generally out $7, but if I can't afford another $7 to make another arrow, I should quit bowhunting. That's how I look at it.

BTW, One of my friends shot a feral hog just shy of 225# with a 2216 arrow and it didn't get a complete pass through with his arrow. The hog fell on the arrow when it died since it was partially sticking out of him and.....bent the 2216 arrow. All aluminum arrows bend no matter what their wall thickness is. If they bend in the situations I described, just make a new arrow and enjoy bowhunting.
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 42# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 10.02
Blacktail TD Recurve: 66", 37# @ 30". Arrow: 32", 2212. PW: 75 Grains. AW: 421 Grains. GPP: 11.37

Offline d from phx

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2010, 11:55:00 AM »
I have shot Legacy"s for as long as they have been out. I shoot them for target competitions as well as 3D.They have always been dependable and would not change.The shoot great from my White Wolf TD.

Offline BOWMARKS

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2010, 04:39:00 PM »
Another vote for the Autumn Orange I didnt lose as many.  :knothead:
Kanati Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Hoot's Long Bow 56"-45#@27"
Shrew Classic Hunter 56"-47#@28"

TGMM Family Of The Bow
United Bowhunters of Penna.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline COOCH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2010, 11:45:00 PM »
xx75 w/the swadged nock end and a speed nock and if your an overachiever a can of yellow krylon spray paint you'll break um before you loose um.
Jeff Couture

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©