3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How sharp can you get it?  (Read 241 times)

Offline sagebrush

• Trad Bowhunter
How sharp can you get it?
« on: March 18, 2010, 06:16:00 PM »
In the past I have used a file system and crock sticks to sharpen my two blade heads. They will easily shave my arm. I thought,I wonder how sharp I can get these, so I pulled out a Magnus 1 and sharpened it up real good. Then I put shaving cream on my face and tried to shave. It didn't work. I think I need a shallower angle on the blade for shaving. Maybe like a single bevel. I also don't know how hard the steel is in some heads. I use zwickeys and magnus for the most part, but am wondering how hard they are.Ever try this? Gary

Offline sagebrush

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How sharp can you get it?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 06:18:00 PM »
P.S. Just yesterday I bought a KME knife sharpener. I like to play with knife sharpeners and that is the only one I know of that I don't have.

Offline Ragnarok Forge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 06:29:00 PM »
Any steel can get sharp enough to shave with at least for a short time.  Look at the angle of a razor blade and imitate that angle to razor sharp.  Makes it easy to shave with a knife or broadhead.
Clay Walker
Skill is not born into anyone.  It is earned thru hard work and perseverance.

Offline NorthernCaliforniaHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 06:57:00 PM »
I have a chrome tool steel carving knife (from the '50's I think) that I can get so sharp it'll cut an arm hair half way up the hair shaft without the hair being held taught. I can't find that steel used in any new knives and I swear it's the best edge out there.
I recently won a Gerber knife in a TradGang giveaway and that steel also takes on a fantastic edge using an Arkansas stone.
I too just bought the KME system and should have it by the end of the week (hopefully)and will be reporting my results.

Now, does anyone know where I can still buy chrome tool steel knives? You know, the kind that looks a bit stained and takes a coat of oil to keep from rusting? I LOVE THAT STUFF! The new stainless knives are garbage in comparison, in my opinion. Please PM if you do.
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, it's melancholy, and its charm." Theodore Roosevelt

Find me at ShareTheBounty

Online lpcjon2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 06:57:00 PM »
I have a guy at the hospital that I do my autopsy's at, and he sharpens all the surgical instruments for the O.R.He has a truck with 10 different grinders and 4 types of polishers.and 6 different sanders.I cant wait to shave with my Hill heads.
Some people live an entire lifetime and wonder if they have ever made a
difference in the world, but the Marines don’t have that problem.
—President Ronald Reagan

Offline Sharpster

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2010, 08:27:00 PM »
Grizzly El Grande.. hair "wittlin" sharp...

That's about as good as I can get em. Oh yea, face shaving with broadheads is seriously dangerous. (don't ask...)

Ron
“We choose to do these things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard” — JFK

www.kmesharp.com

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Traditional-Archer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2010, 08:39:00 PM »
So sharp it will make your eyes bleed if you look at them. Thanks to Ron and KME Sharpeners.

Thanks again Sharpster

Bruce   :campfire:
We are what we do repeatedly. Execellence is, therefore, not an act but a habit.  

Artistole (384-322 B.C.)
Philosopher

Offline Jake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2010, 09:15:00 PM »
My Marbles Knife...I have Whittled a hair 6x before breaking it.  Going for 7+ soon.  Had to one up ya Uncle Ron....I'll post pics tomorrow.

Online DesertDude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2010, 09:53:00 PM »
That's just Wrong Ron, wasting good hair like that! I wish I had some so I could try and Whittle it......
DesertDude >>>----->

US Navy (Retired)
1978-1998

Offline Hawkeye

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2010, 09:55:00 PM »
WOW!!!!!  7+???    :eek:  

Love that photo, Ron
Daryl Harding
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose."  Jim Elliot

Traditional bowhunting is often a game of seconds... and inches!

Offline Apex Predator

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2010, 11:24:00 PM »
Great photo!  I can get two blades scary sharp with a Lansky sharpener, or any similar set up.
I didn't claw my way to the top of the food chain to eat vegetables!

Offline HATCHCHASER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2010, 11:57:00 PM »
The yellow handled case pocket knives have that tool steel. The blades with cv stamped on them instead of ss. Chrome vanadium, it gets wicked sharp.
It's not the arrival, it's the journey.

Offline String Cutter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2010, 01:56:00 AM »
I have a Queen trapper made of D2 tool steel .. It's very hard to sharpen but it will pull a nice long patch of hair off with one pull.. I think its as sharp as any disposable razor I've used??
Fatherhood is the greatest adventure a man can ever take.

Offline fido dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2010, 02:03:00 AM »
Originally posted by lpcjon2:
I have a guy at the hospital that I do my autopsy's at, and he sharpens all the surgical instruments for the O.R.He has a truck with 10 different grinders and 4 types of polishers.and 6 different sanders.I cant wait to shave with my Hill heads.
I see dead people......   :rolleyes:

I sure couldn't do that job. Although.....the sharpening truck would be a perk!!   ;)
A politician who acts foolishly may NOT be acting!

Offline fido dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2010, 02:06:00 AM »
Originally posted by HATCHCHASER:
The yellow handled case pocket knives have that tool steel. The blades with cv stamped on them instead of ss. Chrome vanadium, it gets wicked sharp.
I have a couple. I can get them dangerously sharp.
A politician who acts foolishly may NOT be acting!

Offline tradtusker

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2010, 03:29:00 AM »
Originally posted by Sharpster:
Grizzly El Grande.. hair "wittlin" sharp...

That's about as good as I can get em. Oh yea, face shaving with broadheads is seriously dangerous. (don't ask...)

Ron
YA MAN THAT IS AWESOME !!!!
There is more to the Hunt.. then the Horns

**TGMM Family of the Bow**

Andy Ivy

Offline swampbuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2010, 11:21:00 AM »
Big differance between arm shavin sharp and face shavin sharp ain't there    :biglaugh:    :biglaugh:   I've done it to face shavin sharp before it just takes a little extra to get there
Shoot straight and have FUN!!

Offline NorthernCaliforniaHunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2010, 02:28:00 PM »
Oh Ron, my boy! I just received the KME yesterday afternoon and was up until midnight messing with one of my knives...

It has the sharpest edge I have EVER produced on ANYTHING! It's so darned sharp it'll split atoms. I think they're going about it all wrong with the Hadron Collider, they just gotta hurl some particles at a KME sharpened knife!     :scared:
"...there are no words that can tell the hidden spirit of the wilderness, that can reveal its mystery, it's melancholy, and its charm." Theodore Roosevelt

Find me at ShareTheBounty

Offline Sharpster

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2010, 04:39:00 PM »
Glad to hear that Juan,

If you think it's sharp now, just wait till you get a little more familiar with the unit and refine your technique a bit. Thanks buddy,

Ron
“We choose to do these things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard” — JFK

www.kmesharp.com

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline sagebrush

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2010, 07:57:00 PM »
Hey Ron, I would need a magnifying glass to do that. Even if my blade was sharp enough. Gary

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©